Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Obelisk -vs- Orbital Command

Default Re: Obelisk -vs- Orbital Command

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    Again nerfing an ability youve never played with... for all we know it could need to be buffed.
    Point taken.

Already suggested but im glad we are thinking on the same wavelength.
    I figured in 21 pages, someone had to have beaten me to it... especially since it was in wc3, its not really a new mechanic. I'll look back and see what the criticisms of the idea were when you brought it up.

I assume someone has also thought of letting you use Proton Charge on other units (not the probes) so that if would have to choose between needing it for an upcoming battle (to increase your attack or strengthen your shields or something) and using it on your probes?

Quote Originally Posted by medium View Post
    I assume someone has also thought of letting you use Proton Charge on other units (not the probes) so that if would have to choose between needing it for an upcoming battle (to increase your attack or strengthen your shields or something) and using it on your probes?

Well that was the idea I proposed in the macro contest but i think ive since reconsidered it. Spells in Starcraft tend to do one thing and do it well. A mining spell should give you minerals. If we want to give players other routes to take than just minerals then we need to make the competing spells stronger.

Recall is a great canidate. What are your thoughts on whether it should be single or multiple targets?

Well that was the idea I proposed in the macro contest but i think ive since reconsidered it. Spells in Starcraft tend to do one thing and do it well. A mining spell should give you minerals. If we want to give players other routes to take than just minerals then we need to make the competing spells stronger.

Recall is a great canidate. What are your thoughts on whether it should be single or multiple targets?
    I would think multiple targets but a pretty small radius, ie something that would have saved 4 or 5 (if he grouped them up) of David Kim's Stalker's that he just threw away to some zerglings in BR3. At the same time if you didnt make a conscience decision to bunch up before recall, maybe you would only get away with 1 or 2.

How about this? and sorry if it's been suggested - 22 pages is quite a bit

I was thinking either make the Obelisk moveable, or just make it a unit with the same cost and abilities; the old 'Stasis Orb' model might work for this purpose (?) - the unit would inherit the Obelisk's current abilities.

However, besides the Probe collection mechanic, allow PC to be used on other stuctures. (one at a time - per charge)

- Use it to briefly speed up the warp-in/construction of a new building.
    - use it on existing structures to speed up unit prodution for that building.

The boost would would only last as long as the duration of the charge. While you would still have to remember to continually activate the charge - the player now has to choose where the charge is best used.

I was thinking of only allowing its abilities within pylon power as a limitation. (to help limit its functions while outside of a base.) However, maybe something else may work better.
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    How about this? and sorry if it's been suggested - 22 pages is quite a bit

I was thinking either make the Obelisk moveable, or just make it a unit with the same cost and abilities; the old 'Stasis Orb' model might work for this purpose (?) - the unit would inherit the Obelisk's current abilities.
    Hmmmm. Interesting. Its similar to the queen but perhaps we could find some way to differentiate the two. Critics?

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    However, besides the Probe collection mechanic, allow PC to be used on other stuctures. (one at a time - per charge)

- Use it to briefly speed up the warp-in/construction of a new building.
    - use it on existing structures to speed up unit prodution for that building.

The boost would would only last as long as the duration of the charge. While you would still have to remember to continually activate the charge - the player now has to choose where the charge is best used.

I was thinking of only allowing its abilities within pylon power as a limitation. (to help limit its functions while outside of a base.) However, maybe something else may work better.
    We discussed this on the other page but ill repeat it. Most abilities in Starcraft do one thing and do it good. You dont see allot of artificial limitations or ancillary unrelated uses.

(BTW with 22 pages this thread has offically entered epic territory)
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 06-25-2009 at 09:54 PM.