Thread: Why no AI Testing?

Default Why no AI Testing?

It would have been great if there was a last patch where AI and guest mode was enabled for testing while BNET is down. Who's with me?
    Last edited by don; 06-08-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Play Protoss? Look for the map Photon Cannon Tactics in the NA server!

Default Re: Why no AI Testing?

Because no one really gives credible feedback when it comes to versing AI. It's harder to guage whether the 'problems' are based on player skill, gameplay balance, or the AI's performance.

What exactly would you be testing? Not much. You're simply playing the game vs AI.

The AI is terrible I wouldn't wanna test it.
    Click or else your a egg killer. Do you want to be a baby killer O.o?

Scripting the AI would require information regarding how humans play. It would take a lot of time doing it over and over again, for every game changes, and in that there's potentially some balance change that could make a script useless.

The best path then is to at least wait for the time you absolutely have to release the game, and while waiting, anticipate what functions needs to be there and code them in.

I've seen such things like the new build flags added.

AI testing then is about figuring out what needs to be added into the engine, and for that, player vs player is so much more efficient.

They also have to rewrite (maybe not completely) the AI every time they release a patch. It's a waste of time in the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    ...AI and guest mode was enabled for testing while BNET is down...
    What you desire can be achieved quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    It would have been great if there was a last patch ... Who's with me?
    Blizzard did not release a patch for this purpose. That is a fact.

Please clarify "with you".

Probably they need the metagame to settle before they can make the definitive AI. Otherwise, they would put effort into doing something that is going to change, anyways.

As they need the metagame to develop and balance the game the better they can, only multiplayer is available.

Hoywolf's Avatar Junior Member

They only want feedback for 1v1, so they keep all the other formats very limited. AI will get put in place during the release and im sure there will be hard and insane modes to test your comp stomping skills

For now dont expect any AI changes, its really only a place to test your build order out, but on that note you can use QXC build order map to do that, it has great reset and timer functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoywolf View Post
    For now dont expect any AI changes, its really only a place to test your build order out, but on that note you can use QXC build order map to do that, it has great reset and timer functions.
    You mean like timers that can remind you to create workers and such?

Well, from what I've read, the AI opponent in the recent Beta is nowhere near what they have planned. The AI in the final version is supposed to be doing all kinds of, "human" stuff - Like actual scouting, proxy rushes, econ raid/drops, and the like. Its even supposed to GG under certain conditions. While I pretty much use the computer opponents to test builds, I'm actually pretty interested to see how far Blizz' AI has come along since WC3.
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen