Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An idea on how to make Reapers late game viable

Default An idea on how to make Reapers late game viable

As most of the terrans players know reapers become a "useless" unit later in the game, and are only viable early game for a brief time window, when you can reaper haras the enemy.
    So i decided to make this thread so we can discuss this problem, and i will also like to share my proposed solution to the problem

What i'm proposing is to fundamentaly change how the reaper works. First of the reaper should lose it's jet pack ability and it should become an upgrade. And in return the reapers default movement speed should be increased and it should also receive stim. Thus making it a strike harass unit, heavily specialized on it's speed ( a unit with a jet pack should be faster than other units ) to be able to engage and harass the enemy and bypasing their defences early game. Later in the game the unit would be still viable if all the upgrades would be researched ( stim, cliff jumping, nitro packs) , making the unit a great haras unit and a real threat .
    It would take quite some time before all of the upgrades would be researched, with this the reaper would not be op early game, but lategame with all the upgrades researched the unit would still be a force to be reckoned with.
    So in short, it's default movement speed should be upgraded by 20-30%, cliff jumping should become an upgrade instead, it should receive stim back, and if neded a small buff to it's hp from 50 to 60. Early game the unit would behave like the vulture from sc1 in it's harass role, but slightly more specialized in that role. But where later in the game when all of the upgrades would be researched the unit would realy start to shine and be actualy a viable option. Well this is my take on it. Fell free to share your, or coment on my idea.

Default Re: An idea on how to make Reapers late game viable

So...your idea to make Reapers more useful late game boils down to making them have to research their jetpacks, and giving them stim?

No.
    SC2 handle - "DrakeyC, code 929"

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Clawfang View Post
    No.
    Agreed.

Well basicly removing their cliff jumping ability and making it a research, and in return buffing the units stats to compesate it early game. Which would result in an reaper cliff jumping unit with far bether stats later in the game, compared to the curent stats it has.

You are free to propose your solutions on how to improve them lategame.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfecttear View Post
    As most of the terrans players know reapers become a "useless" unit later in the game, and are only viable early game for a brief time window, when you can reaper haras the enemy.
    So i decided to make this thread so we can discuss this problem, and i will also like to share my proposed solution to the problem

What i'm proposing is to fundamentaly change how the reaper works. First of the reaper should lose it's jet pack ability and it should become an upgrade. And in return the reapers default movement speed should be increased and it should also receive stim. Thus making it a strike harass unit, heavily specialized on it's speed ( a unit with a jet pack should be faster than other units ) to be able to engage and harass the enemy and bypasing their defences early game. Later in the game the unit would be still viable if all the upgrades would be researched ( stim, cliff jumping, nitro packs) , making the unit a great haras unit and a real threat .
    It would take quite some time before all of the upgrades would be researched, with this the reaper would not be op early game, but lategame with all the upgrades researched the unit would still be a force to be reckoned with.
    So in short, it's default movement speed should be upgraded by 20-30%, cliff jumping should become an upgrade instead, it should receive stim back, and if neded a small buff to it's hp from 50 to 60. Early game the unit would behave like the vulture from sc1 in it's harass role, but slightly more specialized in that role. But where later in the game when all of the upgrades would be researched the unit would realy start to shine and be actualy a viable option. Well this is my take on it. Fell free to share your, or coment on my idea.
    that would break balance like crazy and pretty much destroy the only rush the terrans ever had in early game. Basically you're saying it should be some super buffed Tier3 unit by the end of all these upgrades..right?...

Well...it would be completely trash at the beginning..might as well just continue with Marine/Marauders....like that doesn't ALREADY happen..

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I liked the ability mines where you could run into a base while the enemy is distracted and lay down some charges and destroy numerous buildings quickly. That's the only thing off the top of my head that would be the right direction. As they are now, they're D8 charges aren't effective enough in late game to justify making the unit.

Some units just aren't meant for the late game. Reapers are still used way more than vultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfecttear View Post
    Well basicly removing their cliff jumping ability and making it a research, and in return buffing the units stats to compesate it early game. Which would result in an reaper cliff jumping unit with far bether stats later in the game, compared to the curent stats it has.

You are free to propose your solutions on how to improve them lategame.
    In that case, why not keep the cliff-jumping ability as default and make the stats boost the upgrade instead? It's a less drastic change in terms of the early game dynamics.

Alternatively, what about removing the Reaper's speed boost, with the appropriate adjustment to its speed (probably somewhere between the two extremes), and replace it with a mid- to late-game research that gives the Reaper the ability to move and shoot at the same time? Hence, its late game role would be as a GTG hit-and-runner/kiter nonpareil.

This idea isn't good, sorry ;(
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."

I think it's a good idea, making reapers more viable in lategame.
    But I think they already are, I usually pump out at least 12 reapers, rush them in behind the base and destroy the enemy's economy instantly.
    This works really well when they are destracted or just not paying attention.