Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corruption and Frenzy ability

alexamasan's Avatar Junior Member

Default Corruption and Frenzy ability

It just seems to me these are just silly abilities. Their affect doesn't seem powerful enough to bother casting on only 1 unit. I don't see these abilities used very often either. Maybe if a whole bunch of corruptors were casting corruption on a whole bunch of enemies, that might be worthwhile, but then I wonder if it would be worth taking the time to click on all of the units when you can be macroing or microing instead. The frenzy just doesn't seem useful at all except for maybe an ultralisk.

What do you guys think? Anyone figured very useful ways to use these abilities?

Default Re: Corruption and Frenzy ability

I have never used them. It's not bad to have micro-intensive abilities as long as the pay-off is good enough, otherwise they see little to no use. As it stands, especially frenzy is a bit "situational" to say it politely (others may call it a one trick pony).

I think that's the general problem with Zerg nowadays (at least on the medium to lower level leagues where i play at). They do have the means to win, but too much stuff is too situational to warrant the investment.
    So, unless you are good enough with scouting or estimating relative timing (as in "when i reach point A in my build, the opponent could be doing X or Y"), you could be caught up being commited in a build that's less than ideal for the situation you are facing.
    Not a big deal mid to late game (zerg can tech switch easily after a while), but it's somewhat of a pain during the first 2-3 minutes when your overlords are dead slow, the enemy is walling off and you are left guessing.

If they had an increased casting cost coupled with an appropriate radius and duration, so as not to be overpowered, they would make good AoE abilities, for example frenzied cracklings.

I've never used Frenzy in a ladder game, but I've used Corruption.

It's not a fantastic ability, but if I'm going up Colossi and if I have enough energy to cast it, then I do. Every little bit counts, but I do think that it's a rather ineffectual ability most of the time, since your ground forces are usually out of range of Colossi and only your Corruptors will be hitting the Colossi.

I hope Blizzard finds a way to have the 'Corrupted Mass' mechanic return! Pacifying buildings or having units take extra damage just don't do justice to a name as cool as 'Corruptor' .
    Last edited by GRUNT; 05-29-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Agreed, both of these abilities are thoroughly useless. The Corruption ability renders the Corruptor basically unusable except as a platform to generate Brood Lords. I honestly have never used Frenzy either. The Zerg are so darn numerous, affecting a single guy with an ability is pointless. That's why most Zerg spells meant to effect their own guys in SC1 were area of effect, ala Dark Swarm.

In short, they SO need to bring back the old Corruption ability.

-Dread_Reaper
    "And then Sun Tzu used his fight money to buy two of every animal, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one!"

I use corruption all the time, its useful when you have a lot of energy and a lot of corrupters.
    Just spam corruption and then the enemy dies in seconds

Quote Originally Posted by KillaKhan View Post
    I use corruption all the time, its useful when you have a lot of energy and a lot of corrupters.
    Just spam corruption and then the enemy dies in seconds
    True, the inherent downside though (compared to, say, the Devourer's acid spores) is that it takes awhile to build up the energy, so if you're going to be using Corruptors to counter enemy air you have to plan ahead so they have time to charge up. This inherently makes the Zerg less flexible and makes it more difficult to effectively change tactics.

-Dread_Reaper
    "And then Sun Tzu used his fight money to buy two of every animal, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dread_Reaper View Post
    True, the inherent downside though (compared to, say, the Devourer's acid spores) is that it takes awhile to build up the energy, so if you're going to be using Corruptors to counter enemy air you have to plan ahead so they have time to charge up. This inherently makes the Zerg less flexible and makes it more difficult to effectively change tactics.
    Of course. But, if one was going BLs and corrupters, then the corrupters would come in handy targeting anti air enemies with corruption, so as to allow the brood lords to kill them faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread_Reaper View Post
    Agreed, both of these abilities are thoroughly useless. The Corruption ability renders the Corruptor basically unusable except as a platform to generate Brood Lords. I honestly have never used Frenzy either. The Zerg are so darn numerous, affecting a single guy with an ability is pointless. That's why most Zerg spells meant to effect their own guys in SC1 were area of effect, ala Dark Swarm.

In short, they SO need to bring back the old Corruption ability.

-Dread_Reaper
    Sir, I'm going to have to troll you hard.
    What kind of a helmet do you have on your head that prevents your brain from thinking "What if I spam Frenzy? I have three Infestors full of mana, and I have 24 Hydralisks. What do I do with all this stuff"?

DUH! Just damn Frenazy all of Hydras and watch them destroy everything!
    The same with Corruption. And now imagine what will happen if you 1) Frenzy your fully graded Ultras 2) spam Corruption on your enemies.

And now - my opinion on Corruption and Frenzy... the are quite identical.
    SC2 has reached the point where it's Warcraft influenced part starts to stink hard. And seems like Blizz are getting out of imagination, giving us two identical, somewhat like canonic WC spells.

Is it me? Or does frenzy need to increase attack speed not damage?

No, +25% damage increase.