Thread: Blizz and Gom TV, take 2.

Default Blizz and Gom TV, take 2.

The main conversation in the original thread brought up some good discussion of the Bnet 2.0 issues as well as on the OP's topic. I posted my applause for Blizzard's moving on from Kespa in this post:

http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthrea...541#post105541

In this post, I also opened the discussion on the profit motive and stated I detected no greed on Blizzard's part. As Archer was quick to point out, my word choices implied I was applauding Blizz's efforts and stating Blizzard is not being greedy as a whole. This was not my intent. The intent was toward the Gom TV move only.

I apologize for any implication beyond the Gom TV move. I concur that Bnet 2.0 has its issues. I concur the lack of lan is mildly disturbing at the least. These are issues that should be fixed.

What I really note is that Blizz has said multiple times that Bnet 2.0 and SC2 are on different schedules. We cannot and should not assume the Bnet issues will be fixed by SC2 launch. Based on this, I hearby extend my original profit motive/lack of greed assessment explicitly to the whole of SC2 and Bnet on a very tentative basis. I want to see more before I grant a full opinion. The line of progression in both products is very good. I am satisfied to this point but fully and wilfully leave the door open to change if necessary.

I post this simply to apologize for and correct a misstep on my part. I do not expect replies, but I would like to evolve the discussion in an informative and respectful manner. If this is or becomes unlikely, I invite the mods to close the thread. Thank you.
    Last edited by flak4321; 05-28-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.

Default Re: Blizz and Gom TV, take 2.

I really want to be constructive about BNET. But honestly its really hard when you hear things like

"We want BNET to be this great connected online experience. But you cant actually connect with your friends unless your willing to give out your email address. Oh and you cant connect with them if they live in another country. Oh and you cant be part of a clan with them. Or talk to them in a chat channel. Or watch replays with them.Or even play them if BNET is down and they are sitting 15 feet from you in your own house. Yah we know you used to be able to but this is better."

Ill give Blizzard all the props in the world for the heart and sole they poured into the single and multiplayer portions of the game. But as far as constructive critisism of BNET there really is nothing the community can do other than say

"Hey Blizzard this portion of your product is really really really really really really really
    Hidden Content:
    really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really
    bad."

Everything else from there is Blizzards responsibility. If they wanna keep what they have despite everything contrary than thats on their head.
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 05-28-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    "We want BNET to be this great connected online experience. But you cant actually connect with your friends unless your willing to give out your email address. Oh and you cant connect with them if they live in another country. Oh and you cant be part of a clan with them. Or talk to them in a chat channel. Or watch replays with them.Or even play them if BNET is down and they are sitting 15 feet from you in your own house. Yah we know you used to be able to but this is better."
    "Oh and you can't join the same custom game that's being rehosted a few times in a row (and get to know the people you're playing with over the course of 4-5 games, and eventually /friend them), because there's no such concept as unique game names anymore."

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Quote Originally Posted by flak4321 View Post
    What I really note is that Blizz has said multiple times that Bnet 2.0 and SC2 are on different schedules. We cannot and should not assume the Bnet issues will be fixed by SC2 launch.
    I agree. While Bnet is not quite the innovative service we all hoped it would be, it does work. For the most part. And many of the missing or currently non-implemented features that Archer mentioned in his above post, I think, will come on-line over time. If they don't, then they don't.

To everyone who is upset over Bnet 2.0...

If you want to show your dissatisfaction of a particular product, any product, there are two things you can do. 1.) Submit a formal letter to the company of manufacture explaining very clearly what you do not like about their particular product and 2.) Refrain from purchasing said product and not suggest it to your peers as a worthwhile purchase.

In the case of SCII, you actually have a third option. 3.) Participate in the product's online beta and voice your opinion through surveys.

Beyond that, you either buy it or you don't.

Personally, I'm buying SCII, quarks and all. And I have a feeling that I will have a great time with it, regardless.
    Last edited by //MavericK\\; 05-28-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by //MavericK\\ View Post
    I agree. While Bnet is not quite the innovative service we all hoped it would be, it does work. For the most part. And many of the missing or currently non-implemented features that Archer mentioned in his above post, I think, will come on-line over time. If they don't, then they don't.

To everyone who is upset over Bnet 2.0.

If you want to show your dissatisfaction of a particular product, any product, there are two things you can do. 1.) Submit a formal letter to the company of manufacture explaining very clearly what you do not like about their particular product and 2.) Refrain from purchasing said product and do not suggest it to your peers as a worthwhile purchase.

In the case of SCII, you actually have a third option. 3.) Participate in the product's online beta and voice your opinion through surveys.

Beyond that, you either buy it or you don't.

Personally, I'm buying SCII, quarks and all. And I have a feeling that I will have a great time with it, regardless.
    Option 4.) Speak your mind loudly and cogently on online forums. Things may not change, but people (ie, critics) will take note if the complaints are sound. Just look at what happened with MW2. Sure, it made a shitton of money, but anyone who knows anything about the gaming industry knows what to think of Infinity Ward, and that's something.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Quote Originally Posted by pure.Wasted View Post
    Option 4.) Speak your mind loudly and cogently on online forums. Things may not change, but people (ie, critics) will take note if the complaints are sound. Just look at what happened with MW2. Sure, it made a shitton of money, but anyone who knows anything about the gaming industry knows what to think of Infinity Ward, and that's something.
    Very true. Especially if the majority of those complaints end up in the company's forums.

Its kind of like voting...one person's vote doesn't have much power by itself...but if enough people get involved, every vote starts to really matter.

In this case, your money is your vote and companies will do what ever they have to do to get it. If that means retool a bad product, they will do it. If it means scrapping a product and starting over, they will do it. If it means adding features to a product, they will do it.

And on the side topic:

Infinity Ward had bad leadership. The core company, I think was a good mix of talent. It's too bad they're falling apart. Thank god Treyarch is still alive and kicking. I can't wait for their new COD game.

Option 5: Go out and buy a gun and threaten sc2 game designers to retool battle.net 2.0. (just kidding)
    Click or else your a egg killer. Do you want to be a baby killer O.o?

Yeah, that one might get you in trouble with mods. Edit now and your post might be safe.
    Last edited by //MavericK\\; 05-28-2010 at 04:01 PM.

spychi's Avatar SC:L Addict

Infinity Ward had bad leadership. The core company, I think was a good mix of talent. It's too bad they're falling apart. Thank god Treyarch is still alive and kicking. I can't wait for their new COD game.
    and I thought that no one here will buy another CoD game
    sheeps everywhere

Mass Effect Universe Fan, I support Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for Game of the year award! ME2 still is being the best rated game this year! Keep it up

Very true. Especially if the majority of those complaints end up in the company's forums.

Its kind of like voting...one person's vote doesn't have much power by itself...but if enough people get involved, every vote starts to really matter.

In this case, your money is your vote and companies will do what ever they have to do to get it. If that means retool a bad product, they will do it. If it means scrapping a product and starting over, they will do it. If it means adding features to a product, they will do it.
    Money talks indeed. And so do online complaints if, as has been said, are presently constructively and appropriately, without bashing, and are showing in significant numbers. There are literally thousands of valid complaints about Bnet2 and SC2, many of which Blizaard has or has promised to address. Alas, just as many are probably losing/not getting appropriate attention because the dissatisfaction with these issues is being shown alongside so much, for lack of better terms, unnecessary and at times unbridled aggression.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.