Thread: Starcraft 2 Theorycrafting

Default Starcraft 2 Theorycrafting

Starcraft like sports revolves around skills, experiences, mentality and many other aspects but it also relies on theoretical plays to better someone's game play. Theory crafting is also one fundamental aspect that can help the players improve because through this they can better understand their game either they win or lose.

Since I was a kid I've been playing chess up until now and one famous chess player, Bobby Fisher once said "many people know how to play chess but lacks theory." Maybe it would be safe to assume that this quote also implies to that of Starcraft.

In chess there are three game phase namely: Opening, Middle game and End game. Each of these game phase involves a lot of tactics paired with theories which are implied on the game itself. One common theory in chess opening is "always develop your pieces." In Starcraft it can also mean that your "Chess pieces" would be your army and to develop them is by using them to scout your enemy base, not laying them dormant on your base or even microing them well.

Starcraft is still on the beta phase and there will be changes yet as players we want to constantly improve. Make out your own theories which can help you improve as a player. Mine would be:
    1. Know your opening build and your opponent's build.
    2. Have good counters to what your opponent is building.

Default Re: Starcraft 2 Theorycrafting

Interesting post. Yeah the strategy involved in SC has often been compared to chess.

Here is something I always try to do to enhance my game:

=> Consider what your opponents options are, before considering your own. It's the "invisible opponent" theory where you should be prepared for anything he might throw at you (or whatever advantage he might try to gain). By doing this you'll always be safe and you can knock off things from that list by scouting in a specific way (no more 'randomly sending a scout in'... now you can scout with purpose and have a specific timing and itinerary).

From there, you can pick the best course of action, whatever that may be.

eluadyl's Avatar Junior Member

I agree that theory will give you a strong basis, you'll have a better hold on your strategy in proportion to your knowledge about the game. You can call it the mathematics of SC which was done to enormous measures in BW. I even had two friends who co-piloted each other with calculators and papers at hand.

On the top level though it always seems to come down to micro and that's hard to theorize imho.

Quote Originally Posted by eluadyl View Post
    I agree that theory will give you a strong basis, you'll have a better hold on your strategy in proportion to your knowledge about the game. You can call it the mathematics of SC which was done to enormous measures in BW. I even had two friends who co-piloted each other with calculators and papers at hand.

On the top level though it always seems to come down to micro and that's hard to theorize imho.
    Guess so

eluadyl's Avatar Junior Member

May be someone should start making a 'micro guide for the absolute noob' to help out beginners to enhance their micro. I believe most micro issues stem from the lack of proper control grouping and little details like forgetting to a-click but instead trying to right click moving units.

Then people can start to think about the theory instead of stepping on shoelaces and tumbling against fast players

You have a point but when we define micro it would simply mean the way you control units. Maybe because of its simplicity it's really hard to make a guide and yet it's so complicated. Guess it would all go down to practice

Imo the Hold position micro is pretty effective and ranged units benifit from it quite well against melee units. Building placement also help alot. I constantly see places where static D would dominate. Like the ledge overlooking your choke in lost temple. A few bunkers full of marines and you can safely expand while defending your natural and you main.

Yes, building placement plays a big deal as well as hiding your own buildings to caught opponents off guard from your tech. In Warcraft 3 building placement is also well emphasize
    Last edited by keruya; 05-25-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Hoywolf's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eluadyl View Post

I feel that micro takes a back seat to macro in this game, unlike the first. If your build order is good and your making the right counter units, you should be in great shape, that you dont need to micro as much, but of course micro-ing will help out, its like the bonus now instead of the goal.

Yeah, I can even see that White-ra's playstyle is going towards macro