Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the real counter to the Carrier?

Default What's the real counter to the Carrier?

Hello people of SC:Legacy!

I've recently had alot of matches (2v2 Random) where Terran and Protoss players just tech up fast to get massive amounts of Carriers or BCs (I play in Copper League, so we're not the most offensive peeps playing - most don't even scout) and since I'm a bad micro/macro terran player, I like to take it somewhat easier and try to harass more than mass up, but from my experience, even if I have loads and loads of Vikings AND I focus fire down the Carriers, it's just not good enough. Marines also get eaten alive by Carriers and since I'm not pumping BCs myself, I really can't figure out what Terran unit that really counters Carriers well.

I guess Corrupters and Void Rays are better at shooting down Carriers, but I see humongous armies of Vikings getting totally pwned by Carriers even when focus firing.
    Even more funny is, that Carrier didn't really get any buffs/nerfs during the beta, so I'm really dumbfounded by how I keep failing.
    Ofc I'm not a good player (top Copper) but I fail to see how you can MASS up BCs if you scout a good portion of Carriers since I presume it must be the only unit to really deal some nice dmg to Carriers.

Anyone cares to enlighten me?
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

AFXFTW's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: What's the real counter to the Carrier?

Soften them up with ghost EMP and raven hunter seekers, then finish them off with vikings or yamatos. /thread

Or just mass vikings + 2/3 ghosts as EMP but mass vikings usually do the trick. Viking is actually increase OP since you can just plop down a starport and reactor and pump them out like marines for air.

Armor is the key here, interceptors do 4x2, each carrier got 8 interceptor. Each armour point reduce the damage taken by 16 for each carrier. If you got 2 armour you cut the damage in half. If the toss is not stupid he will have at least +1 attack, so you should crank up 2 armory upgrading atk/def continuously while pumping viking from at least 2 starport with reactor, 3 if your eco can take it.

Then pray XD, the ghost emp is really strong, it cut 100 shield of and requiert no upgrade.

I've found a mix of corruptor and hydralisk doing wonders against mass carriers

But for terran as said before, emp (always get ghosts against protoss) then armor upgraded vikings and 1-2bc for yamato will do wonders. In any case scouting it before he moves out with 7-8 carriers is absolutly needed. You can't hope to build a full counter force in 1 min...
    Last edited by Sigel; 05-19-2010 at 11:47 AM.

The biggest counter to Carriers is their cost. If you can keep pressure on the Protoss he'll never be able to build them in the first place.

mass hydra in my experaince worked well killing the interceptors

MajinX's Avatar Junior Member

vikings can do the trick u just need to micro well since vikings have less health than carriers, so they will be able to kill you faster, but since vikings move faster and have a slightly longer range you should be able to move ur weaker unit to the back and continue firing etc.

Just how many carriers are you talking about? o.O

Cuz Vikings can be built in larger numbers and they do counter carriers as long as they in range. Did the carriers have upgrades?

0-0 Vikings vs 3-3-3 carriers is no contest even if you have much more vikings. Carriers come with tough base armor and I've found that their interceptors in SC2 are much more deadly because of the better pathing and the boost of speed/damage the get in the initial volley.

So what are you talking about really?

I agree with DemoSquid btw that increased pressure on the Protoss will force him to get support units to keep his carriers alive while he attempts to build more. If you starve him, you win.

If the game is even, vikings obliterate carriers for less than cost.