Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the real counter to the Carrier?

Default Re: What's the real counter to the Carrier?

How can someone counter mass Battlecruisers, if Ghost doesnt have Lockdown anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessMonkey View Post
    Hello people of SC:Legacy!

I've recently had alot of matches (2v2 Random) where Terran and Protoss players just tech up fast to get massive amounts of Carriers or BCs (I play in Copper League, so we're not the most offensive peeps playing - most don't even scout) and since I'm a bad micro/macro terran player, I like to take it somewhat easier and try to harass more than mass up, but from my experience, even if I have loads and loads of Vikings AND I focus fire down the Carriers, it's just not good enough. Marines also get eaten alive by Carriers and since I'm not pumping BCs myself, I really can't figure out what Terran unit that really counters Carriers well.

I guess Corrupters and Void Rays are better at shooting down Carriers, but I see humongous armies of Vikings getting totally pwned by Carriers even when focus firing.
    Even more funny is, that Carrier didn't really get any buffs/nerfs during the beta, so I'm really dumbfounded by how I keep failing.
    Ofc I'm not a good player (top Copper) but I fail to see how you can MASS up BCs if you scout a good portion of Carriers since I presume it must be the only unit to really deal some nice dmg to Carriers.

Anyone cares to enlighten me?

a) You should not let your opponent mass up Capital air

Circumvent this by;

SCOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    0) RUSHING their asses when you find out they are tech'ing
    1) Expand
    2) Get at least two orbital commands so you can constantly scan and ultilize MULES to jack up your economy

b) In case of Mass Capital air or discovering this a bit late

1) Mass vikings; It is too late to try to match their capital air with your own capital air. By the time you discover that they have 6-8++ Carriers/BC, it is way too late to make your own fleet

2) Build starports with reactors, pump those vikings out FAST.

3) Upgrade Air attack as priority

4) Do not try to make Thors as support to combat their aerial support. They are way too slow, gas expensive, and generally a POS unit in my sincere opinion.

Using the Viking

You MUST abuse their range superiority and play "Cat n Mouse" to have any chance. There is no way you are going to survive a fight if you try to hold your "ground" and fight, this is especially important against carriers

1) It out ranges battle cruisers easily, abuse this. Just come in as a group and focus fire one cruiser at a time and then run away and continue this. You should not lose any vikings versus Battle cruisers.

2) Carrier interceptors seem to be able to almost match the range of vikings, or they can accelerate fast enough to launch a few at you. But you still have the range superiority overall. Play more cat and mouse

3) The viking is slower than other dedicated air anti-air units, you need to be careful if they have their own anti-air (Phoenix/Mutalisks)

If it's a team game, get your ally to make some thors or decent ground units (Stalkers, Hydralisks, Upgraded marines, etc) to back up your Viking Squadron

Remember, a Cruiser is 400/300. A viking is 125/100 if I remember correctly.
    You should easily have a 3:1 ratio, at the very least a 2:1 when battling their capital air.
    If they seriously have 12 carriers, you should easily have 24+++.
    Otherwise you are doing something horribly wrong with your economy/game play.
    Last edited by hyde; 05-19-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks alot for the huge amount of responses. As I laid it out, I'm not - and I repeat NOT - a very skilled player. If I even try to do very easy micro more than 1 place, I'll have either no production going or no expansion very soon.

From what I hear when I get in similar situation I'll have my armor upgrades on vikings and ghosts. That's what my brain can even try to imagine tasking with in-game.

Thanks a bunch!

Oh, and thanks for wanting to discuss a unit, that really isn't used much anyway in the game!
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessMonkey View Post
    Oh, and thanks for wanting to discuss a unit, that really isn't used much anyway in the game!
    We don't WANT to talk about it. Its just another problem with the game we GET to talk about.

lol, Demo You're the one with a particular peeve with carriers. They're actually pretty good as is. I've used them quite a bit in late-game, just by teching to them before ur opponent scouts it wins you the game. They're super tough and can deal a lot of damage if supported by enough ground (just like in BW).

Art-wise, I think you do have a point that it could be made better, but so far, it is quite good, esp the new interceptor animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Slayer View Post
    How can someone counter mass Battlecruisers, if Ghost doesnt have Lockdown anymore?
    For Terran, well microed Vikings can really beat up on BCs. Ghosts with EMP can really hurt BCs even more by denying Yamato.

Not sure about Toss and Zerg, But I would imagine well microed Voids/Carriers/Nixes or Mutas/Corruptors/Hydras can all tear up a strictly BC force.

AFXFTW's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by //MavericK\\ View Post
    For Terran, well microed Vikings can really beat up on BCs. Ghosts with EMP can really hurt BCs even more by denying Yamato.

Not sure about Toss and Zerg, But I would imagine well microed Voids/Carriers/Nixes or Mutas/Corruptors/Hydras can all tear up a strictly BC force.
    Assuming you're just using the phoenixes and carriers to charge up your void rays before you engage, this is true.

Or you know stimm'ed Marines can also work semi well....not as well as vikings but can definately stand their ground granted you'll have some huge losses.\
    Quote Originally Posted by hyde View Post
    Remember, a Cruiser is 400/300. A viking is 125/100 if I remember correctly.
    If they seriously have 12 carriers, you should easily have 24+++.
    Otherwise you are doing something horribly wrong with your economy/game play.
    I think it's 150/75 now I am sure the gas is 75 not sure in mineral is 150 or 125
    Last edited by Blasterion; 05-20-2010 at 03:50 PM.

delete post