Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 or 3 workers per mineral patch?

DesertRose's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: 2 or 3 workers per mineral patch?

I usually build workers all the time and when I hit about 25-30 workers I take an additional expansion.
    --<-{(@

I feel that as Zerg making those 8 extra drones is not worth it since you could just be using that cash on an expansion.
    ________
    ELECTRIC CIGARETTES
    Last edited by TWD; 09-14-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Zerg was always different anyways. It's T and P that need to adhere more to the model Crota gave us. I find that 3 is the max per patch, and even if u transfer, u always replenish to 30 probes per base. Otherwise esp in pvp, you fall behind in income and that extra stalker or zealot pwns ur probes.

Hoywolf's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twilice View Post
    Yeah, it's about the same for me. You gain minerals to expand to a new expansion or expand your army supply and get towers to protect the expansions from harrasment.

But still it's not about if gas is more important then minerals, it's about how much is the difference. To me it looks like 2 workers at a mineral switch out almost perfectly with eachother, if you get a third extra it feels like they will just be in the way running around.
    Youll get more minerals with 3 per, you may feel that it looks nicer, but its about the rate of income, the faster you get it the faster you can build. 30 workers per base is the correct number 3 for each gas so 24 on minerals.

For corn, you want just 21, since it is missing 1 patch.

I usually try to get around the standardish 24 workers for mineral patches, especially my main, and then I actually put 4 to 5 workers on refineries, not 3. I usually go with gas heavy armies, lots of Ghosts/Nukes and Banshees. These really eat up the vespene...so this is almost a necessity for me.

Quote Originally Posted by //MavericK\\ View Post
    I usually try to get around the standardish 24 workers for mineral patches, especially my main, and then I actually put 4 to 5 workers on refineries, not 3. I usually go with gas heavy armies, lots of Ghosts/Nukes and Banshees. These really eat up the vespene...so this is almost a necessity for me.
    4-5 workers on gas is a waste. You gain ZERO advantage putting more than 3 workers on 1 gas. This is not like BW where the 4th worker gave you a slight increase in gas income. SC2 is more discrete in the way income is generated from Minerals and gas. Hence, above 24 workers on minerals, you get zero advantage just like gas.

Dude when you have 3 ppl standing outside gas your doing something wrong :P
    Click or else your a egg killer. Do you want to be a baby killer O.o?

I usually get 22-24 on minerals and 3 per each gas.

You can produce more workers than that, but it's wasted money until your expansion is up. I'd rather spend that money on troops and upgrades. I always transfer 8 workers to my new exp, leaving my main nearly saturated with 16. At that point, I'll produce a 2:1 ratio of workers at my expansion vs main. Seems to work for me so far...

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    I feel that as Zerg making those 8 extra drones is not worth it since you could just be using that cash on an expansion.
    ________
    ELECTRIC CIGARETTES
    I just browse this URL and and find some interesting data which will be effective for my next project. I am with a data project where i need so many data about cigarette brand. Hope i will use your site there.

First off: Hey Gradius! Long time no see, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius
    Yeah, you're supposed to pump all the time, not stop at 16 or something.
    I disagree. It's been demonstrated throughout WOL and HOTS that getting 16 on minerals is optimum. After that, the workers start mining inefficiently, and at 24, the workers stop mining extra minerals at all. Anything beyond 24 on 1 mining base is a complete waste, and anything between 16 and 24 is wasteful but still brings in some extra minerals, but those 8 extra workers are better off mining another base. The only times you want to be getting to 24 workers on 1 base is to use 8 workers and transfer them to immediately mine a newly built expansion, keeping optimum saturation at the original base and re-rallying both CC's/Hatches/Nexuses to the new base to saturate it till 16 and if another expansion is to be taken, up to 24, then doing the same transfer of workers over and re-rallying.

Typically, you want 16x3 on minerals and 6x3 on gas for optimized mining on 3 base = 48 + 18 = 66 workers. Once you take a 4th, you're basically transferring workers from your mined out main to mine minerals there, and are most likely using the 4th for extra gas income, which is another 6 workers, making the TOTAL number of workers you want in a SC2 game to be mining the most efficiently 72 workers.

Any more or less is less than ideal and either insufficient or wasteful.