Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pW's Map Stockpile

Default pW's Map Stockpile

My first attempts at working with Galaxy Editor will be documented herein. Comment away!

RUSTWERKS - 4 player Monlyth map intended for 1v1 or 2v2 use

Map features:
    - Natural expansion provides vantage into main, allowing for interesting defensive and harass tactics.
    - Main and natural both have standard chokes, but together form a wide choke that can be held for an early expansion.
    - Wide rocks next to main CC provide later openings into heart of enemy base.
    - Third is diagonally walled off with LOS blockers that make it vulnerable to assaults by melee units, but also favors melee defenders. The cliff next to it is actually blocked by standard CC placement and allows for some defensive play with ranged units (or drops, even melee), but is also blocked off by LOS blockers on all sides not facing the CC. Basically, planting a Tank up there for defense will do little if you don't have spotters handy. Little room for towers makes this one vulnerable to air units.
    - Golds are key areas on the map because they provide sight of nearby natural expansions thanks to Watch Towers; this makes getting one risky as the opponent might come by to check the Tower at any moment and see it. However, it's on high ground and has lots of room for turrets, making it somewhat easier to defend than your third.
    - The four rectangles near the middle are great for Overlord scouts and cliff-hopper mobility, but provide little room for ground troop placement (and no room for Tanks).
    - Center area has wide and narrow chokes, favoring all army make-ups. Four arrow-head rows of LOS blockers give melee units an advantage, but the vertical strips of water allow for all sorts of kiting, especially with Blinkers, Siege Colossi, and Tanks.

C&C most welcome.
    Last edited by pure.Wasted; 05-05-2010 at 05:05 AM.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Default Re: pW's Map Stockpile

Oh wow. I'm very impressed and would love to play some 2v2s on that! I like the layout of the center... seems interesting and potential for some fun battles. I can see Force Field and Blink being very useful there.

Maybe its the scale but it seems a long distance from a team mates base. I wonder if it would be possible to have a map encourage team play in defending each other but discourage turtling. That might sound like a bit of an oxymoron...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoonx View Post
    Oh wow. I'm very impressed and would love to play some 2v2s on that!
    Well, I have to confess I am a 1v1 player first and foremost so was designing it with that function (exclusively) in mind. That said, now that it's complete I do think it works fairly well as a 2v2 map, so I marketed as both.

Maybe its the scale but it seems a long distance from a team mates base.
    I think it's the scale, and the fact that the bases are more stretched than usual, that lends itself to that impression.

That's where your and your allies' choke is likely to be. So it's really not that much of a running distance. Now if they come knocking on your BACK door you're likely on your own, so I'm not sure how balanced such a wide rock is for 2v2 rushes. But still you should be able to do quite a bit of damage with ranged units on that ledge.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a map encourage team play in defending each other but discourage turtling. That might sound like a bit of an oxymoron...
    Sounds like a challenge. I already have some ideas in mind. I don't usually create 2v2 maps but this strikes me as a very interesting premise... potentially too interesting to pass up? Hmm?!

Nice map , but it seams that expansions are quite far away from your main, and the left and the right middle don't seam to be identical?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfecttear View Post
    Nice map , but it seams that expansions are quite far away from your main
    Thanks! They're actually a lot less far than it appears. Your base is stretched vertically, so your Natural is actually right next to your choke (check out the img in the response above for clarification!). Your third is right by the choke (and nat by extension) so it's nice and cozy, while your Gold is close to nat by air, and super close to main by ground if you destroy the rocks.

Really, either way you expand past the Nat, you end up creating a defensive triangle. The only worry here is that defending your Gold with ground troops is tricky because there's no quick way from your choke to the Gold itself... but it's a Gold, it SHOULD be tougher to defend, shouldn't it?

But thanks for the note, and I'll make sure to look for this in playtesting. If it turns out that the distances are too long once I get a few playtests out of the way, I'll be happy to scale it down.

and the left and the right middle don't seam to be identical?
    They're identical in all ways except terrain texture (along with exchanging smoke LOS blockers [on right] for tall grass [on left]) and some doodad placement. But the doodads are out of the way so that doesn't matter. It looks like the LOS blockers aren't there on the left, but that's just because they blend with the texture from so far away.

A wise man once said, "Symmetry in all things."
    Last edited by pure.Wasted; 05-05-2010 at 08:00 AM.

PureWasted, do you have a bigger image? probably 4x larger would be fine. I'd like to see in detail.

Your wish is my command!

Last edited by pure.Wasted; 05-05-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pure.Wasted View Post
    Your wish is my command!

Oh, and a couple of extra cheese and bacon. Lol

Seriously though, I'd like to play this map with you one of these days.

At first glance, it looked similar to Kulas Ravine, but once I actually opened it up and looked at the image, I decided I like it a lot more. Good job!

@PW

Have you thought about inverting the ramps on the naturals? I feel it would make more sense if the ramps faced your starting location. Then the cliff where the ramp used to be can be used defensively. Just a random thought~