Thread: [Replays/Feedback] Replays of a noob Protoss player

Default [Replays/Feedback] Replays of a noob Protoss player

Here are some replays from my first and second day of doing the beta. I would post these on youtube, but it looks like fraps will only record 30 seconds at a time for me. I can't convert the files. Anyway, here are some of my first games. Expect a lot of losing on my part.

Any helpful commentary is welcome! Hope to see you in game.
    Last edited by Gifted; 05-01-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Replays of a noob Protoss player

Hey, welcome to the forums!

Couple tips from the first game:
    1) Use Chrono Boost on the Nexus to get more probes. You let it get up to 100 energy. You should use it immediately after your first pylon warps in. CB should never be over 50 energy in the first stages of the game unless you're saving up for boosted Gateway units. After you have at least 16 probes, use it for things such as speeding up upgrades. Basically, just use it.
    2) Make more gateways. At 4:45 you had over 600 minerals sitting there, and since you weren't using them for anything else, you should have made more production buildings.
    3) Scout! When you pushed out to attack you had absolutely no idea what kind of units your opponent had or whether it was right to attack.
    4) Your cybernetics core warped in at like 42 supply. That's way too late. You should build it at like 18-20, because you need warp gates. Warp Gates produce units much faster than gateways, so you need them asap.
    5) During your final push, it might have been better to attack his pylons instead of his buildings. If you simply killed 2 pylons, you would have shut down all his production buildings.

Default Re: Replays of a noob Protoss player

Thanks for the input and welcome, I've uploaded a few more from today (I didn't read the comments until after I had played these games).

I had noticed that my cybernetics core was coming up too slow, and I think I do a little better in these replays. I've also noticed that I am bad at managing my CB.
    Last edited by Dougtemplar; 04-29-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Default Re: [Replays/Feedback] Replays of a noob Protoss player

Here are three games from my practice league. I did quite a bit better on the first two; however, it seems that I was able to catch my opponents with very few units or they just failed to guard an entrance to their base. I didn't know a phoenix can't fire while graviton beam is in play, so I tipped my hand early there. I am doing a better job scouting with observers, but I still tend to rush into attacks before I know what is waiting for me.

The 3rd battle, the one I lost, I made a stupid decision to try to rush him with ground units at the beginning. He was easily prepared for me by the time my ground units made it. I failed to diversify my tech quickly enough and that killed me.

Comments are always appreciated!

Edit: added the rest of my practice matches.

P.S. Does anyone have some good advice for how to upload these to youtube? I tried to convert with fraps, but it only seems to record for 30 seconds at a time (which is much shorter than most of my matches). I also tried another program, but it was horribly choppy and made the video look like a sideshow.
    Last edited by Dougtemplar; 05-02-2010 at 08:39 PM.

well as u can see from my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/tam12345

i upload all the time to youtube

fraps works perfectly fine, just buy the full version :P its not that much money, it will keep recording the match and split it up into bigger files yes, but than u go and use a program called VirtualDub, make sure conversion under video is set to divx, and not direct stream, and convert each one to divx, which will bring the file sizes down from 4 gigs to 100 mbs or so

than use virtual dub again to join the avi's together to make a full match

keep in mind, youtube has a limit of 10 mins per vid, so make sure when u merge ur vids, merge em to 10 min blobs if bigger

hope this helps
    "look at the pretty mushroom clowds..." ~ gifted

"please, spade and neuter your pets....or else i'll nuke you!" ~ gifted

"My Wife For Hire!" "uhh dude its my life for aiur" "ahh.....makes more sense..."

Here are my placement matches. I can't find one of them, but no big deal. I ended up in the silver league, which is better than I expected (as I've never been terribly good at Starcraft online). Granted, I don't know how many leagues there are or what order they are in, but logic dictates that there is a bronze or something below silver.

Comments, commentary, or whatever are welcome!

k quickly skimmed over them, and it seems ur still doing the same problems gradius gave u tips on before. u have to train urself to do this buddy

also, as for leagues there are i believe:

Platinum
    Gold
    Silver
    Bronze
    Copper

so ur in the middle of the pack with me :P got #1 in silver yesterday tho, so happy
    "look at the pretty mushroom clowds..." ~ gifted

"please, spade and neuter your pets....or else i'll nuke you!" ~ gifted

"My Wife For Hire!" "uhh dude its my life for aiur" "ahh.....makes more sense..."