Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SC2 - Display Driver Glitch?

Default SC2 - Display Driver Glitch?

So yeah, my graphics freaked on me two times today. Happened to my friend who I was playing with as well (we were on TS and he explained what he saw). Shortly after he got it, the glitch hit me.

Basically your screen starts to freeze, then colors get all disoriented, you can see random rectangles of texture on the screen. Screen also becomes all white, then all black and starts flashing odd colors/saturation over the SC2 game.

I really have no idea how to explain it. Only way I think I could have done better is record it happening, which I didn't do.

First time I got it, I just alt-tabbed after a while and loaded back into the game the graphics were restored. Later I played with someone else and I got basically the same glitch. Except this time there were a lot more actual lag spikes, along with the graphics just going south. After sitting there and my friend text me telling me I got booted. I got some display driver error, said it stopped working. I ended up restarting my computer and everything was fine on my end. Just watched a couple replays and no issues...

I'm doubting this is a rare occurrence since my friend also had the same issue in a game. I have an 8800 gt oc, never have had any hardware issues.

Has anyone had an issue similar to this or heard of something along these lines?

Default Re: SC2 - Display Driver Glitch?

Sounds like video card dying.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Sounds like video card dying.
    This^ :P

My game did that on my old computer for Warcraft III. It ONLY did it in War3 at random times, I had to alt tab to fix it.

Monitor you temperature, maybe your card is overheating. The overclocked model tend to heat more. If the card do not heat then it is an hardware problem and the card is slowly dying...

Odds are high that it's a dying video card. In some cases you can try upgrading to the newest video drivers. In a rare case I was able to resolve this by reseating the video cable where it connects to the computer and the monitor (do a full disconnect and reconnect)

That's the cheapo ways that have a low percent chance to work, but eh, it's better to suggest it now before you pay money, ya know?
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

Alright, thanks... I just dusted it yesterday with compressed air for the first time in a long time, and I don't OC anything, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

I hope it isn't the vid card, but hey, if it is then I have a reason to go for a new one or simply get a new computer (which I'd rather not do though).

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiK- View Post
    Alright, thanks... I just dusted it yesterday with compressed air for the first time in a long time, and I don't OC anything, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

I hope it isn't the vid card, but hey, if it is then I have a reason to go for a new one or simply get a new computer (which I'd rather not do though).
    You said in your first post that its an 8800 gt oc, right? That means its overclocked by the people that make it, so it actually is OC'd.

It is probably overheating, as I seem to remember some threads about SC2 melting video cards or something.

8800 series from nvidia are typically VERY hot as the stuff they use to make them create a lot of heat like the VRAM chips.

I had an 8800GTS 320MB OC'd and it died because it kept peaking at 72-75 degC!

I got meself a GTX260 c216 after that - no longer do I worry about high temps, and this one is Superclocked, lol!

On top of that I overclocked it further and I still do not go above 50-52 deg C on load.

The 8800 series were kinda crap in that sense, but otherwise well performing cards when they weren't dying.

Quote Originally Posted by protoswarrior View Post
    8800 series from nvidia are typically VERY hot as the stuff they use to make them create a lot of heat like the VRAM chips.

I had an 8800GTS 320MB OC'd and it died because it kept peaking at 72-75 degC!

I got meself a GTX260 c216 after that - no longer do I worry about high temps, and this one is Superclocked, lol!

On top of that I overclocked it further and I still do not go above 50-52 deg C on load.

The 8800 series were kinda crap in that sense, but otherwise well performing cards when they weren't dying.
    Yea, I have an 8800 ultra and it runs quite hot. It actually died for a while, but then I read a way to potentially fix it by baking it in the oven at a certain temp for a certain amount of time. Oddly enough, it worked.