Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is uppgrading?

Default How important is uppgrading?

I've seen some players that NEVER uppgrade anything, but sometimes I se those who don't uppgrade, then they get 2 uppgrade centers (example 2 evolution chambers) and start uppgrade armor and damage at the same time.

So how important are these uppgrades? How important is the other uppgrades like marines combat shield or +25 energy at start for units.

xIHyIDraX's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: How important is uppgrading?

Unit specific upgrades like the hydralisk range upgrade is important, where as some are useful but not vital like roach being able to move while burrowed. Damage, Armor, or shield upgrades are important in mid/late game especially if its mirror match.

Is it depending on which units you got / face or is it just better mid/late?

Depends on your intention of the upgrades.
    Getting a fast forge for Protoss is sometimes good if you are going to be rushing zealots against a zerg who FEs. that +1 attack means that lings die in 2 hits instead if 3 and because he FE'd, he most likely will only have 1 queen, a few lings and a crawler (building) to defend, and a +1 upp can help tremendously.

It's also a timing thing tho. Like sometimes, I don't upgrade attack until I have a specific tech unit like the Colossus, or I just get +1 armor early vs a Marauder-rich army so that I stay alive longer to take them down with zealot/Sentry/Immortal and 1-2 stalkers.

So, it really is situational. Another example would be getting the +1 armor or +1 shields vs Mutas. With Guardian shield, you get a temporary +3 armor vs mutas on your sentry/stalker... VERY handy.

Also, upgrading is essential if you want to be ahead. Usually after getting your 1st expo it is usually good to go double Forge (for Protoss) and upgrade Attack/Shields (if you have the money) or more commonly Attack/Armor. If you feel that you can do it as you contained your opponent, get triple forge and upgrade all three attack/Armor/Shields and push in once they complete.
    Last edited by protoswarrior; 04-25-2010 at 12:26 PM.

I think you really have to look at upgrades with goals in mind. Sometimes you might find you have a hard time going up against a certain kind of unit. We always limit ourselves to thinking "well I need to get this unit to counter them" when sometimes the counter is upgrading attack.
    ________
    Laguna Bay Condos Prathumnak
    Last edited by TWD; 09-14-2011 at 09:13 PM.

xIHyIDraX's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twilice View Post
    Is it depending on which units you got / face or is it just better mid/late?
    Armor, Damage, Shield upgrades are necessary if you opponent is upgrading mid/late to make sure you don't fall behind.

Hoywolf's Avatar Junior Member

The upgrades are very situational, in some cases it is better than others.

one good example is a ZvZ matchup, its gonna be filled with zerglings, by upgrading your melee damage, you will win all the mirror fights even with less units, that +1 damage means that it will take 1 less hit to kill their zerglings.

35 hp / 5 damage = 7 hits
    35 hp / 6 damage = 6 hits (5.88)

That makes a huge different. There are other cases like this for zealots killing zerglings in 2 hits instead of 3, and so forth, i dont know all, but hope this helps.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

In general, if you mass a unit, you will want to upgrade it. And weapons upgrade is way better than armor, because armor/shields almost always gives you a +1 boost, while attack can give you +2 or even +5. You really see the difference when you use focus-fire as well.

Not always, unless you get way ahead of your opponent to make the upgrade count. In PvT, even with +1 attack vs 0 upped marauders, your gateway units die horribly just because of the bonus damage, slow and stim...

When I play Terran i try to balance them Attack,Armor,Attack etc from my M&M&M..If i have siege tank support i sometimes get +5 damage from the Armory,if i have more medivacs i get the +1ship armor...

When i'm protoss i almost always go +1 attack because ALL my ground units get that damage,shields are secondary cuz increase both buildings and air units resilience...

When i'm zerg i get +1armor first simply cuz it give all ground units...

So i guess it's not just situational BUT also racial orientated...Terran balanced,Protoss Attack,Zerg armor at least for me...