Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie problem.

Default Newbie problem.

Why can't I view someone elses units and building?

Default Re: Newbie problem.

Demo, I'll leave this one up to you.

unknownone's Avatar Junior Member

It's called Fog of War and it's part of the game. It adds the strategic and tactical need to scout what your opponent is doing, like getting intel in real life.

If you mean in general, during gameplay, then what unknownone said. If you mean that you are unable to select the enemy buildings even when you scout you need to go into the gameplay options and make sure the 'enable enemy unit selection' box is checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Articorse View Post
    Demo, I'll leave this one up to you.
    I would have replied sooner but I just got home from work.

@level
    Basically what unknownone and silencbank said should solve any vision issue you're having.

Since your question is so incredibly vague, however, I'll expand on their answers and 2 other vision related issues:

Fog Of War: The blackness on the map is called Fog Of War. It has two levels: deep black where you have no information about the map terrain or enemy position, and light grey where you have explored the terrain and the position of enemy structures at time of scouting. It is an important part of the strategy and tactics of the game, knowing where your enemy is and how to exploit that to your advantage. In general, you want to see as much of the map as possible, while limiting your enemy's vision.

Unit Selection: Unit selection lets you control your units, or view the statistics of enemy units. This is achieved by left-clicking the unit. The right mouse button issues attack orders. By default, the ability to left click enemy units if turned off to avoid new player confusion, attempting to send orders to units they do not control. As Silencbank said, to enable you to view an enemy unit's health and upgrades, you must open your Main Menu (F10), go to Options, Gameplay Options, and then check the Enable Enemy Unit Selection box.

Cloaking: Some units have the ability to cloak, and hide from the view of the enemy. They leave a faint ripple in the terrain that an experienced player can sometimes see, and react to accordingly. Cloaked units can only be attacked if they are detected.

Units Whom Can Cloak or Grant Cloaking
    Ghost
    Banshee
    Dark Templar
    Observer
    Mothership (Cloaking Field)
    Any Burrowed Zerg

Units Whom Can Detect
    Orbital Command
    Turret
    Raven
    Photon Cannon
    Observer
    Oracle
    Spore Crawler
    Observer
    Infestor (Fungal Growth)

Glitches: There is the possibly that a major game breaking glitch has occurred where you quite literally cannot see the enemy on your map. They either do not load up at all, or their models do not show up but you can still interact with them when they attack you. If either of these is the case, you need to provide screenshots and report it to Blizzard.
    Last edited by DemolitionSquid; 02-22-2013 at 12:41 PM.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

I believe she can't select enemy units. You can do the following if that's the case:

Menu>Options>Gameplay>check "enable enemy unit selection"

DSquid has the most comprehensive answer. Five points to Slytherin!
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...

Quote Originally Posted by Alar View Post
    DSquid has the most comprehensive answer. Five points to Slytherin!
    Ugh, I hate Harry Potter. Next time just use Morrigan Approves +10.

Morrigan wouldn't approve, though. She would yell at you for helping someone in need when there was nothing in it for you.
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...

Quote Originally Posted by Alar View Post
    Morrigan wouldn't approve, though. She would yell at you for helping someone in need when there was nothing in it for you.
    Who said there wasn't anything it it for me?