Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good idea to improve ally control system?

Alterran's Avatar Junior Member

Default Good idea to improve ally control system?

Im playing a lot of 2v2 as of late, at the platinum lvl.
    It has happend to me two or three times that my random partner get disconnected or just leaves.

Yesterday one left me right after he built a pylon and started on his gateway.
    I took control of both his protoss and my zerg base and continued to play for both of us, the game went into 15 min and i won. But it was really hard to control my allys production since i cant see his amount of minerals like i do my own. I feel i could have done a lot better if i just knew how much minerals/food he has.

I think that if your partner clicks the shared control, or if he leaves the game for some reason, his minerals/gas/food should be displayed below my own with a colour identification in front. With an option do display or not next to it.

Or maybe his resources should be added to your own(only when ur partner leaves the game) even if his probes are gathering, and only food count should be displayed. Resources can be shared between partners anyhow, so its not inbalanced to get all the resources from your partner if hes no longer in the game.
    This is more logical since it will make it possible to micro both races. The way the current disconnect system works its no way ur partner can reconnect, so it should all be in ur hands. However my first suggestion kinda benefits a co-management style play for if your base is destroyed and all workers, and you want to share control with ur partner since u got no units of ur own.
    My opponents this match did this, kinda smart thing to do.

I think its a good idea, cuz i cant think of this as inbalanced or wrong, since the two players staying will always have the option to send each other cash or just communicate how much they got anyhow. While the one player is clearly gonna have a hard time playing for two players against two players anyhow.
    Last edited by Alterran; 04-16-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Default Re: Good idea to improve ally control system?

I think that if your ally leaves, you should get all his resources and control of his units. After all, it's much harder to play both races at the same time.

My thoughts (which agree on many points of the main post) if a partner leaves:

- The indicators right underneath your own is a good idea and I agree with it. Don't make it overbearing like the WC3 one.
    - I personally think it's important to keep the resources separate. Just have a sort of easy "auto-transfer" method that doesn't involve going into the menu. It may be as simple as "clicking his minerals icon" or something. If you don't do this, than it has a chance of being abusable as a person simply starts the game as a 1 expansion base instead of having to manage both bases.
    - I know this isn't fully related, but tossing the common suggestion to "rejoin games in progress" to help alleviate this issue.
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

But gifted, how can anything that is already possible be an abuse?
    Giving the minerals and only using seperate food counts is already possible, using ur ally as only a fast expand is already possible.

But i can see how this would be a problem if they fix the issue that players cant rejoin games in progress.
    But even if they fix this, they should still add a display option for your partners resources and food count. Sometimes your friend might not come back even if he has the option to.

It feels like blizzard left 2v2 mechanics unfinished for some reason, it should be obvious that you should be able to see your partners minerals if he left the game with no option to rejoin it.

As a note, I did agree with you on the counter.
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

I haven't played any 2v2s so I gotta ask this:

If the side that had a disconnecting player wins, does the player that disconnected win as well?

As a note, I did agree with you on the counter.
    The first half of my post was to you, the other i was more talking to myself

If the side that had a disconnecting player wins, does the player that disconnected win as well?
    Yep

Hmm . . . this is tough.

The issue is that there is a set amount of time at the beginning of each game during which you cannot trade with your ally. Those who like to pump resources into one player are generally thwarted by this feature. If you allowed instant access to the ally's resources once he left the game, then this would frequently be used by those same people as a bypass to the timer, and they would still win even though they disconnected.

So, there is merit in both ways of doing it. One way prevents abuse, the other prevents unfairness. I could say keep the timer in arranged and toss it in random, but there's nothing preventing the random team from having a little conversation that would let them plan the disconnect and whatnot. I guess all I can say is that the timer applied to resource trading should still apply to a disconnect situation, but then once that timer is done all of the resources should fall into one pool.

Indeed a toughy. I like the culmination of suggestions here. N00bonic, I'm going to take your thoughts and move this a step further. Let us consider a timer after the disconnect for which the disconnecting player's resources can be transferred to any of his allies. If missed, the ally gets only what he can mine at the disconnected player's base, provided he/she can defend it. It places a limit on the disconnect exploit. For maximum efficiency, this disconnect timer will last 4-5 seconds. Thoughts anybody?

I thought about creating something similar for FFA's, but tracking and enforcement would be extremely difficult.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.

I think having the Display of minerals/gas and food is Very Good, a Necesary UI... probably anytime you have shared control, not just when they drop.

Well there are a few issues with sharing resources automatically

1.There will be 3v3 and 4v4 games.
    If a player disconnects in there, which ally gets the 'shared resource pool'?

2. There is also the timer.

Auto Pooled Resources though......
    Maybe that can be an Option for ALL players (disconected or not) that appears when the timer allows fro resource trade.

If they click "Resource Pool" all of their resources go into a shared pool... and they spend resources from that same pool.

So if someone disconnects Before the timer is up, they keep their separate amounts of minerals and gas, for them to spend, and thir workers add to that.
    As soon as the timer is up though, any Other player that has "pooled reources" can access those resources (and that player can access their own)

tL;DR

1. Display of food/minerals/ gas is a MUST for a player that allows allied control

2. A "Pool Resources" option that becomes active for ALL players once the timer is up would also be good. (ie you can check it before the timer is up but it doesn't Do anything until the timer is up)

3. Disconnected players would automatically "Allow Allied control" AND "Pool Resources"
    Last edited by Krikkitone; 04-16-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    50 energy, 5 Larva, 5 seconds