Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An effective way to buff defensive buildings?

Default An effective way to buff defensive buildings?

A lot of players are complaing that defensive buildings are weak in sc2 , including me, and even Blizzard acknowledged this in a recent post, and said they will look into it and monitor this into the future. But time has pased, but nothing has changed.

Also in a recent Dev chat we received information , that blizzard dosn't want defencive buildings to actualy defeat enemy armies, but are loking in a more anti harass role for them (i don't agree with that but ok) , so if that is the suposed role of the defencive buildings, then they should atleast make the apropriate changes so they are actualy good against harass, if that is their sole purpose now.

A hp buff is out of the question , since that would make defences bether against regular armies and an damage buff also isn't viable, also because of the terran bunker, so in the end the only way for them to buff defences so they are bether against harass is to increase their range.

So i'm proposing an +2 atack range increase to all defencive buildings. With this change they would actualy be quite efective vs harras, but it wouldn't make them to good vs regular armies. Currently most of the defences have a range of 7 , which is 1 more than most other units, which is actualy horible for a stationary units, that canot chase units or micro. So if defences would have an atack range of 9, you couldn't just completely ignore them when harasing an enemy, by finding their blind spots or being just outside their range when atacking.
    I think that it would in generaly increase the quality of gameplay.

Thoughts

Default Re: An effective way to buff defensive buildings?

In my opinion static defense buildings are good against both harass and enemy armies for their cost and don't need a buff.

+2 attack range would negate all harass possibilities and thus almost 90% of creativity in builds we see today. I'm sorry but I think that is a really bad idea... Just having that extra range makes cannons (for example) too powerful vs zerg or terran. Maybe in PvP, the risk of being cannon-rushed would be equated to the risk of being triple WG zeal-proxied (before the nerf). Nah, it would screw up the balance of the whole game way too much for any viable benefit.

Siege range is 9. Do we really want to give defensive structures siege range and be forced to increase siege units to 10? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Noise View Post
    In my opinion static defense buildings are good against both harass and enemy armies for their cost and don't need a buff.
    Well i don't realy think they are that cost effective for their price, considering they are stationary and imobilized.
    SC2 defenses are the worst and lest powerfull defences that i've seen in any rts ( and i played quite a lot of them), show me an popular rts with even less usefull powerfull defences that in sc2?
    Well since it looks that the range upgrade sugestion was not well acepted, there is only one last option on how to buff them, by decreasing their cost, i think that an 25 minerals cost reduction could maybe work?

Have you played SC BW? (Silly question...)

In BW the defense buildings are a much much weaker, except for sunken colonies. In SC2, all cannons/bunkers (upgradeable)/spine-spore crawlers (w/ Queen transfusion) are very strong vs most harassment, but not immune.

As Protoss , the only things that really eat cannons are mutas and banshees. Everything else it handles fine till reinforcements arrive.

Also, "other" RTSes suck compared to SC2 as far as I have seen (and I have some experience playing mutiple RTSes as well); you cant compare the defensive almost-turn-based strategy styles of other RTSes like C&C, AoE, AoM, and Battle-Zone with SC:BW and SC2's very aggressive strategical/tactical style. The defensive structures are fine for the game.

There is no point in changing them. What buffs they needed are here now with the last few patches. 150 HP/SP on cannons make them VERY viable vs almost anything exept very high DPS units like Thors, tanks, Hydras, Immortals, Colossi, etc.

Maybe the new damage system, all units being able to do the same base damage, is what makes defenses weaker. Perhaps an armor increase for defenses should the job. Like +2 base armor for all defenses. Not a massive change, but very notable.
    Waiting...

The damned will return...

Personally I think it'd be close to enough of a buff if they actually got included in the attack upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by MattII View Post
    Personally I think it'd be close to enough of a buff if they actually got included in the attack upgrades.
    This is the kind of thinking Blizzard needs.

defensive is supposed to be weak but balanced. this isn't WC3
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."