Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terran move to high yield?

Default Terran move to high yield?

On the map metropolis there is nothing in the way of the high yield mineral fields. When the game starts the Terran player lifts off his command center and lands it at the high yield minerals. As soon as he lands he has double the income of everyone else in the game.
    ________
    Avandia Class Action
    Last edited by TWD; 09-14-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Default Re: Terran move to high yield?

He does lose *some* time at the start, but more importantly: even though he has the high yield, it's really hard to wall-off. You also have very little space to work with in your base. Overall, I think that it's actually worse for the Terran to take the high yield right at the start.

honestly even though i am a terran player i haven't tried this strategy yet another map i know that it works on is Kulas Ravine maybe i should try this and see how better it affects my game

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    On the map metropolis there is nothing in the way of the high yield mineral fields. When the game starts the Terran player lifts off his command center and lands it at the high yield minerals. As soon as he lands he has double the income of everyone else in the game.
    As GRUNT said, this is actually super risky. A quick tech switch to mass Lings/Reapers/Blinking Stalkers will seriously nullify any advantage for the T.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

It's a 99% sure lost for the Terran who lifted in silver and up.

On the map metropolis there is nothing in the way of the high yield mineral fields.
    Except for the fact that this will immediately get them killed. Even if you go Engineering Bay first and get the fastest Planetary Fortress possible, you're still dead.

The only reason someone was able to do this to me on Desert Oasis is because I didn't know where their CC went (that, and deep, personal stupidity). I thought they had moved to the island expo. And even then, they had to turtle like crazy to make it work.

At least on DO, the gold patches are pretty far away from the player by land. On Metalopolis, the gold patches have 3 entrances and are right outside the player's doorstep.

A quick tech switch to mass Lings/Reapers/Blinking Stalkers will seriously nullify any advantage for the T.
    No, that's not what loses you the game. The fact that you're effectively ceding map control for the first 10 minutes, allowing them to triple expo and pump from about 6 Hatch+Queen or 12 Warp Gates is what loses you the game. If you see someone do this, don't charge at them. Probe them with units to force them to turtle up, while taking 3 expos. Tech to whatever you want, upgrade however much you want, and just murder them.

This goes double for Terrans on Kulas Ravine, moving to the protected expo. Take 4 bases and kill them with an unending stream of Brood Lords or Carriers.
    Last edited by Nicol Bolas; 04-13-2010 at 12:55 AM.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

It doesn't seem to work so well in 1v1, but it can work in 2v2 if they don't immediately scout or rush you. I think it works a lot better if you have a protoss ally to help you. Not only can they build some cannons to help defend, but you can funnel resources and use warpgates to create a quick defense if needed.

In the game that I encountered this in we destroyed the base before the Terran player had much tech. However, he was able to throw all those resources to his Protoss ally. I was able to keep up in unit production, but ran out of minerals after they attacked my expansion.
    ________
    Web shows
    Last edited by TWD; 09-14-2011 at 09:10 PM.

I've seen this attempted on Lost Temple, as well (being unable to bust the rocks, the Terran player simply placed his CC farther away).

In the one game where my ally attempted this, we were able to keep his base alive into the midgame. However, defending his base was so taxing that (1) my ally never managed to tech beyond M&M, and (2) we weren't able to put any kind of pressure on our opponents, who eventually made carriers and whomped us.

Generally speaking, I can only see this strategy working if your opponents fail to scout early and you and your ally jointly rush them right away (i.e. you are never put on the defensive); and even then it isn't obvious to me that the benefit of high yield minerals will make up for the time lost at the outset.

Here's one game (vs. P) where I did manage to use it with some success -- my first attempt at Gold opening. But, really, I'm not sure that the tried-and-true standard variation of this wouldn't have been just as effective.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Sahara Drac commented (very entertaining as always btw) on such a fight:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqFMvlJI2Zg

On metalopolis it is really a bad idea.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy