Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

  1. #1
    Maul's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,218

    Default What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    Three shows have done this recently that I watch: V, Caprica and Stargate Universe. It just seems absurd to me that you'd only show 4 episodes before having an extended break when the show has only just started. Caprica and Stargate Universe isn't as bad because they at least aired about 10 episodes. Maybe it's just me but when you air a new show I would think having a break before it takes off could kill off a lot of viewers with shorter attention spans. It's certainly frustrating for all.

    How do you feel about this and is there a legitimate reason why they do this?
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

  2. #2

    Default Re: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    Its just a fad they're testing to help gauge interest in certain shows. It also lets actors take more but shorter breaks, and gives more time for stuff like CGI to be refined by splitting the workload.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    I watched the 10 episodes of SG:Universe in like 1 day...And i have watched every episode from SG1 to Atlantis and even all the movies...And i gotta say the whole 'story' behind the Stargate is really crappy...So i will probably not going to watch it any more...

  4. #4

    Default Re: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    Quote Originally Posted by arthas View Post
    I watched the 10 episodes of SG:Universe in like 1 day...And i have watched every episode from SG1 to Atlantis and even all the movies...And i gotta say the whole 'story' behind the Stargate is really crappy...So i will probably not going to watch it any more...
    To quote a brainwashed season 5 Teal'c;
    "What you say is blasphemy, if I hear it again I'll kill you myself"

    I was huge fan of SG-1, but lost interest pretty quickly in season 8.
    Never cared much for Atlantis other than the first season, and Universe looked crap to me, so I haven't bothered with that.

    The thing I loved about the stargate story was that it wasn't another scifi show where every visited planet had aliens = humans with bumpy heads.
    No this time it was human cultures and a very few parasitic creatures as the aliens.

    Nothing beats the original 1994 movie for me though - where they actually spoke ancient egyptian. (And not the cheesy TVseries "everyone speaks english")
    Starcraft universe fan: Singleplayer and novels

  5. #5

    Default Re: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhanttoM View Post
    Nothing beats the original 1994 movie for me though - where they actually spoke ancient egyptian. (And not the cheesy TVseries "everyone speaks english")
    Ah...I love that movie. I have not yet watched any of the shows though. I've been wondering if I should.
    Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani

    Blizzard's Exact Mathematical Definition of Soon™: {soon|1 month<soon<∞}

    Another?!

  6. #6
    Sarov's Avatar The Enforcer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyvik View Post
    Ah...I love that movie. I have not yet watched any of the shows though. I've been wondering if I should.
    Ah. I have fond memories of that movie. My favourite thing about it were the costumes for Ra's guards - the Horus and Anubis guard outfits with the full helmet. Those were amazing and long have I wanted to get a hand on them. But alas, I have not.

    Oh, and let's not forget about falt-top O'Neill. I swear, every time I saw that movie I had this strange urge to place a piece of paper on his head with the hope that it wouldn't fall off.

  7. #7

    Default Re: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    How do you feel about this and is there a legitimate reason why they do this?
    Funny you should say, as I too was watching both V and Stargate: Universe before the hiatus. Though I didn't watch Caprica, as New Battlestar Galactica can go frak itself (no offense to you, who surely enjoys it).

    As a rating machine or whatnot, it totally ruined my TV watching schedule. Because of that, I forgot to watch the shows again when they start airing the new episodes.

    On another note, thank pie for Hulu.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    Stargate Universe emulates Battlestar Galactica too closely in my opinion. Each episode tries to be too epic, and all the fun and joviality characteristic of the Stargate franchise has been almost totally wiped out. That said, I find the characters far more engaging than those in Atlantis, and that alone keeps me watching.

    But... Arthas is right. The overarching story behind Stargate is kinda... done, along with that of StarCraft. It's the individual episodes and character dynamics that make it for me... along with the violence.

    I preferred Stargate back when they were interacting with various cultures and compromising on ethical issues. I remember one episode, however, where the SG1 team pretty much goes, "Hmm, ethical dilemma... whip out the P90s!"
    Aaand sold.


    Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

    Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

    The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    And suddenly, this is becoming a SG thread. :P

    Having watched SG:U, I'm not so hooked on it as I was with SG-1 or Atlantis, and given the way Atlantis ended, that says alot. It's been too long since I saw the SG movie, but I did enjoy it, or at least what I didn't miss while channel surfing. Something about seeing a villain in a child's body makes it all the more cooler in my opinion, so Ra won me over.

    My problem with SG:U wasn't so much that it tried to emulate Battlestar Galactica as much as the fact that I wanted to pummel virtually every single cast member in the show. In the hopes of making the characters more 'real', they end up being not so likable, and contrary to popular belief, real does not mean deep. I don't mind 'real', but honestly, I get enough 'real' in real life of the bloodshed inducing kind.

  10. #10
    Maul's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,218

    Default Re: What is with huge breaks in the first season?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    Its just a fad they're testing to help gauge interest in certain shows. It also lets actors take more but shorter breaks, and gives more time for stuff like CGI to be refined by splitting the workload.
    Imo I think it kills the shows chances, especially with V only airing 4 episodes then taking a break. I'm still watching it but I'm not sure about everyone else. Man actors shouldn't get too many breaks. Most TV actors earn more an episode than I earn over a few years. Also the CGI in SG:U isn't that demanding as it's basically re-use of the ship. Episode 11 is a bit of a different story.

    Quote Originally Posted by arthas View Post
    I watched the 10 episodes of SG:Universe in like 1 day...And i have watched every episode from SG1 to Atlantis and even all the movies...And i gotta say the whole 'story' behind the Stargate is really crappy...So i will probably not going to watch it any more...
    Yeah I don't stop watching many shows but I almost gave up on SG:U. Episode 11 will get me watching a bit more but the story is so stale.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyvik View Post
    Ah...I love that movie. I have not yet watched any of the shows though. I've been wondering if I should.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacaier View Post
    Funny you should say, as I too was watching both V and Stargate: Universe before the hiatus. Though I didn't watch Caprica, as New Battlestar Galactica can go frak itself (no offense to you, who surely enjoys it).

    As a rating machine or whatnot, it totally ruined my TV watching schedule. Because of that, I forgot to watch the shows again when they start airing the new episodes.

    On another note, thank pie for Hulu.
    Have you watched Caprica? It's not as grand as BSG but it's a worth successor IMO. I didn't realise some of the shows started up again either = less ratings

    Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    Stargate Universe emulates Battlestar Galactica too closely in my opinion. Each episode tries to be too epic, and all the fun and joviality characteristic of the Stargate franchise has been almost totally wiped out. That said, I find the characters far more engaging than those in Atlantis, and that alone keeps me watching.

    But... Arthas is right. The overarching story behind Stargate is kinda... done, along with that of StarCraft. It's the individual episodes and character dynamics that make it for me... along with the violence.

    I preferred Stargate back when they were interacting with various cultures and compromising on ethical issues. I remember one episode, however, where the SG1 team pretty much goes, "Hmm, ethical dilemma... whip out the P90s!"
    I think SGU is trying hard to be a sci-fi drama like BSG but the writing is horrible and the characters are weak and not likeable at all, so you don't give a shit about their problems, which is what a drama is generally about. SG1 and SGA were winning formulas that were different but still faithful to each other. SGU is different.

    Quote Originally Posted by AegisKHAOS View Post
    And suddenly, this is becoming a SG thread. :P

    Having watched SG:U, I'm not so hooked on it as I was with SG-1 or Atlantis, and given the way Atlantis ended, that says alot. It's been too long since I saw the SG movie, but I did enjoy it, or at least what I didn't miss while channel surfing. Something about seeing a villain in a child's body makes it all the more cooler in my opinion, so Ra won me over.

    My problem with SG:U wasn't so much that it tried to emulate Battlestar Galactica as much as the fact that I wanted to pummel virtually every single cast member in the show. In the hopes of making the characters more 'real', they end up being not so likable, and contrary to popular belief, real does not mean deep. I don't mind 'real', but honestly, I get enough 'real' in real life of the bloodshed inducing kind.
    I never liked the way Atlantis ended but it got cancelled so I don't feel so bad about it. Still, I'm somewhat irate that SGU is the reason why. SGA is my favourite series of the Stargate universe.

    Yeah, the characters suck ass :P For the best of the best, they really, really suck ass when it comes to living together and basic survival.
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

Similar Threads

  1. Lost Fan's Season 6 Review
    By pure.Wasted in forum Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 02:13 PM
  2. Lost Season 6
    By screw_ball69 in forum Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 11:38 PM
  3. Is there any point to the Marauder's huge size?
    By Pandonetho in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 03:09 AM
  4. NDA Breaks in 1.5 hrs
    By Hegemon54 in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 06:54 AM
  5. Protoss Airforce needs huge remodelling
    By Wankey in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 06:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •