Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PvT Banshee+Viking

Default PvT Banshee+Viking

So how exactly is toss supposed to counter Banshees & Vikings? I've just been getting murdered by this. I've tried going stalkers/phoenix, mass phoenix, void rays, carriers. Everything I can think of and they just roll right through my army. Not to mention that with some marines it becomes even more potent.

Here is a replay of me being completely destroyed by this strat.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3xwywy...ngOP.SC2Replay

I'm at a loss for what to do with this. I've tried mixing sentries in with my stalkers as well, to no avail.

Default Re: PvT Banshee+Viking

carriers will rape vikings, almost cost-for-cost until u get a critical mass. with a mothership, you're almost unstoppable.

i know that's rather high-tier, though, so before that I'm not sure. Toss AA has always been its weak point in sc2. u could probably storm the terran player with mass zealots with charge before that though, and he'd be pretty powerless.

Quote Originally Posted by imdrunkontea View Post
    carriers will rape vikings, almost cost-for-cost until u get a critical mass. with a mothership, you're almost unstoppable.

i know that's rather high-tier, though, so before that I'm not sure. Toss AA has always been its weak point in sc2. u could probably storm the terran player with mass zealots with charge before that though, and he'd be pretty powerless.
    A good number of Vikings will tear through Carriers if the player isn't an idiot. It even lists Vikings as a hard counter to Carriers in the help tab.

And on the zealot point. I have tried doing that but if the player is able to repel it or even if I break in he just lifts his buildings off. Not to mention by the time charge is finished researching he will probably be close to having a couple Banshees out and then you're screwed. Even if you put a couple cannons around your base the banshees can just go hit the pylon or even just out range the cannon and hit any buildings within range.

Mass phoenix SHOULD work... phoenix are supposed to counter vikings...

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    Mass phoenix SHOULD work... phoenix are supposed to counter vikings...
    Yeah, I thought so too but Vikings are Armored and Phoenix get a bonus to light. Also with some marines below firing they just tear right through Phoenix. Hell I even had +1 upgrades to armor and attack on my phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    A good number of Vikings will tear through Carriers if the player isn't an idiot. It even lists Vikings as a hard counter to Carriers in the help tab.

And on the zealot point. I have tried doing that but if the player is able to repel it or even if I break in he just lifts his buildings off. Not to mention by the time charge is finished researching he will probably be close to having a couple Banshees out and then you're screwed. Even if you put a couple cannons around your base the banshees can just go hit the pylon or even just out range the cannon and hit any buildings within range.
    a couple banshees would lose vs, say, 4-5 stalkers. it's not an even cost-for-cost matchup, but if u time it right he shouldnt be able to match you at that point in the game, esp. since his ground army is so much weaker due to all the gas he spent to get the banshees.

Quote Originally Posted by imdrunkontea View Post
    a couple banshees would lose vs, say, 4-5 stalkers. it's not an even cost-for-cost matchup, but if u time it right he shouldnt be able to match you at that point in the game, esp. since his ground army is so much weaker due to all the gas he spent to get the banshees.
    Not if he already researched cloak, which is one of the first things they do. And in all honesty it is very hard for toss to scout Terran until they get a robo facility up and get an observer out. Terran can scan and Zerg can sacrifice an overlord to check out what another player is doing but not Protoss so if you go all in with Zealots and they are sitting there with M&M&M, you're screwed.

Photon cannons next to vital buildings helps. A banshee viking combo sounds a bit op because I cant think of an effective countermeasure off the top of my head. The pheonix is very specialized and I think that hurts it alot. If it was a generalist anti air fighter instead of just anti light then you pheonix might get some more use. As for a banshee, viking countermeasure have you tryed stalker/sentry? Its also a problem with the protoss tech tree in general. Terrans, no matter what strat they are going for, are going to get a starport and that means banshees or vikings maybe both whereas the protoss have to choose between robo or stargate tech first. So theres some obvious balance issues with this situation. Have you tryed storm? THe only effective air vs air counter would be to mass more VRs than he can vikings which is nigh immpossible with how cheap vikings are and reactors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    Yeah, I thought so too but Vikings are Armored and Phoenix get a bonus to light.
    And Phoenix are light, and Vikings get a bonus to armored. :P

Also with some marines below firing they just tear right through Phoenix. Hell I even had +1 upgrades to armor and attack on my phoenix.
    Shouldn't you have zealots in that instance then? I mean if he's gonna go ground and air, why can't you go ground and air?

As for scouting, can't you scout with the phoenix you're building? They're the fastest unit in the game short of creepspeedlings. Or get hallucination?

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    And Phoenix are light, and Vikings get a bonus to armored. :P
    And Vikings have a higher base DPS. 20 per shot so it will only take 8 Vikings to 1 shot a Phoenix while it takes 13 Phoenix to 1 shot a Viking. Vikings are cheaper and can be pumped out twice as fast.

Shouldn't you have zealots in that instance then? I mean if he's gonna go ground and air, why can't you go ground and air?
    I did have Zealots but with charge the banshees focus on only the zealots at the start of the battle and they go down very quickly to 12 or so banshees.

As for scouting, can't you scout with the phoenix you're building? They're the fastest unit in the game short of creepspeedlings. Or get hallucination?
    Yes, but you have to go stargate before robo if you decide to that and if they aren't going Banshees and are going say MMM instead you'll be caught with no immortals to counter their mauraders. If you go robo first you can get an obs out first to see what they are doing and then you can go stalker to hold off banshees until you get phoenix.