Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard vs Bioware (Escapist March mayhem)

Default Re: Blizzard vs Bioware (Escapist March mayhem)

Quote Originally Posted by CrowToss View Post
    Man, I just wanna say - I think it's so great to see discussions of this kind on forums of this kind. It's investment in things like narrative and character that give gamers and game developers a foothold in the realm of 'videogames as art'. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that myself, particularly for the bulk of what's produced, but all the talk of game mechanics CAN get a little dull at times. We might not all be writers, but we all like a good story!
    Hear hear! Discussions like this are what keeps me around gaming in general, after so many llamas in the online world hehe.

I'm anxious to see if Aldrius or pure.Wasted can come up with alternatives to my assumptions.
    Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani

Blizzard's Exact Mathematical Definition of Soon™: {soon|1 month<soon<∞}

Another?!

You forgot to mention Illidan also had weapons of the epic kind. He had the twin blades of azzinoth to his name.

Bobo's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by spychi View Post
    it will be a close fight but BioWare will win
    Dragon Age and Mass Effect are fucking awesome
    my vote goes for BioWare
    Agree 100%.

Mine too.

Hm...this is a toughy...I would of gone with Bioware but I cannot deny how Starcraft and WoW carry the day for me.

I go with bioware for story and attachment to character. I love the KoToR series. Actually playing part 2 right now. I didn't care for there mass effect series though to complex. Wondering on how dragon age : orgins plays.
    Total Posts : 3
    Send me a message if you want to game.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyvik View Post
    I'm anxious to see if Aldrius or pure.Wasted can come up with alternatives to my assumptions.
    I don't really have anything more to add that won't just be me repeating myself.

I think you're taking things in the plot for granted to justify your insistence that something that's not a plot-hole actually is. There's never been anything that's stated that demon power was any stronger than holy power, or necromancy, or the power of elune, or whatever (on AZEROTH at least, demonic power is certainly very STRONG out in the great twisting nether, but on Azeroth it's very limited, particularly because demons can't just move from world to world. They need portals). Illidan was definitely a powerful character, and a lot of TFT is just setting him up as a worthy opponent and rival for Arthas and his army of undead. But that more has to do with him gathering followers and PROVING how powerful he was. And then giving him stakes, and a reason to hate Arthas and want to beat him so badly.

How a lone convict demon hunter night elf goes from an outcast to a leader of an army that rivals one of the most powerful factions in the entire world of WarCraft is a very important storyline.

I don't have much more to add than that, except very little in the plot implies that Illidan was stronger than Arthas, and there's enough ambiguity on that point. (particularly since Illidan has ALSO just spent the last mission losing to Arthas like crazy. Watching his armies crumble before the scourge.)

It's not a moment where they decide to have one last one on one. It's a moment where Arthas goes to claim his prize for beating Illidan. And Illidan makes one last ditch effort to stop him.

I'm not that interested in power levels, and I'd never even assumed that the Lich King's power had made Arthas a better fighter. (When he took up the helmet, and so on. Not when he'd picked up Frostmourne.) Just that it had released Ner'zhul from his prison.

And I've certainly never blindly praised Blizzard so I highly resent that accusation. (Seriously, don't even get me STARTED on how shitty Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King have been.) I thought the Undead TFT campaign was really good. Regardless of arbitrary poorly defined non-existant plot-holes.

And that's all there is to it!... where did this huge post come from?
    Last edited by Aldrius; 04-04-2010 at 03:39 AM.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

So you're fully satisfied with the ending "Illidan inadvertently left himself open and Arthas took advantage of it" ? You're not in the least bit put off by a creature that has been steadily becoming extremely powerful just being defeated...like that?

If you are truly satisfied with that, then there is little I can say either. It appears as a gaping plot hole and deus ex machina to me, but I suppose if you are satisfied with it then it might just be a matter of perspective. To each their own, hmm? /shrug
    Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani

Blizzard's Exact Mathematical Definition of Soon™: {soon|1 month<soon<∞}

Another?!

Speaking of that, I have to say I am not truly satisfied with how they handled the evil character roster in the sense of KT, Illidan, etc that these powerful characters got defeated by a large group of rag tag soldiers. Doesn't sound too exciting to me as opposed to one of the much better known heroes doing the job. Then there's the issue on which faction can claim the victory. And on another note....

Looking back I have played countless RTS and seen many battlefields through the ages from Rome with Age of Empires to the 44th millennium with warhammer 40k and how all the developers looked for ways to change it up to keep things very interesting but Starcraft has stood the test of time and is the yardstick for other RTS to compare themselves to. And since the game is one of my top 10 most influential, it made the choice of Blizzard a tad easier. Just a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyvik View Post
    So you're fully satisfied with the ending "Illidan inadvertently left himself open and Arthas took advantage of it" ? You're not in the least bit put off by a creature that has been steadily becoming extremely powerful just being defeated...like that?
    No, because that's not it at all. The ending is "Illidan makes one final, desperate effort to stop Arthas, and fails." Not "Illidan makes a mistake and Arthas kills him." Arthas just had a big huge epic battle with Illidan over the Frozen Throne and WON. The one on one fight, and beating him a second time is just to wound Illidan's ego. He's ALREADY beaten Illidan.

Arthas winning that duel is just to accent the moment really, make it a bit more conclusive that Arthas is the clear victor. Unless you just want to completely ignore the fourty minute mission and ONLY count the duel at the end.

If you are truly satisfied with that, then there is little I can say either. It appears as a gaping plot hole and deus ex machina to me, but I suppose if you are satisfied with it then it might just be a matter of perspective. To each their own, hmm? /shrug
    Suppose so...

And I'm not satisfied with it, I'm very happy with it. I think it's a good ending. And a nice ending to a long arc. Not as much for Illidan (I think Illidan got his resolution in the Night Elf TFT campaign and through most of the Blood Elf TFT campaign, and then screwed it all up by getting greedy again) but definitely for Arthas. By that point, I think he's earned his victory and Illidan hasn't.

Illidan is just really desperate to earn a greater being's favour for magical power at that point. Ner'zhul and Arthas have faced really rough odds and come out on top despite it. Odds that Illidan would just complain about it and then betray somebody else to get out of it. And then not understand why everybody hates him all of a sudden.

I love Illidan for that. Just how pathetic, and how pathologically unaware he is of the consequences of his own actions.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

I don't think Bioware deserved that win. Not even by a close call...

Mass Effect ? .... Yeah... it's an okay game and good story/character developement...but hardly original or great gameplay..

ME1 = SPAM and then wait for your gun to cool down
    ME2= GEARS OF WAR + ALIEN SEX.
    Dragon Age was a WELL constructed game and AWESOME gameplay, but the story and everything is a literal ripoff of LOTR... Unite the humans, dwarves, elves, etc, blah blah blah blah ...

I don't think anything was more balanced than the StarCraft campaigns in regards to story and gameplay.
    I think I will hurt a lot of feelings here, but the only reason bioware won was because there's way too many nerds in love with their Mass Effect / Dragon Age love interest ( and I guess WoW community doesn't give a crap)
    I have to say I am still surprised...if they could even get 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 American/European WoW player to vote...they would have won by 20%++ Margin...Guess the Blizzard community has been shattered. Most of the community are WoW players at heart I would imagine.

But sadly I must post this. Screw Bioware. (I'm a VALVE fan at heart)

And how fitting, Bioware in costume...