Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Replays] Gradius Replays

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default [Replays] Gradius Replays

I'll throw all my replays into this thread. I'm playing Protoss now. Constructive criticism is appreciated.
    Last edited by Gifted; 03-29-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Default Re: [Replays] Gradius Replays

You had to post the one matchup I know nothing about

In general though:
    I think your opponent was pretty bad. When his huge army was at your door it was looking very good for him if he had just contained you and double expanded, but no, he went and sacrificed his whole army for nothing

I think your expand timing was off. It would have been lost as soon as he saw it since your army couldn't fight him without help from your choke and photons (which is what happened, albeit earlier than it could have). You needed to assert some sort of a defensive edge (like having your immortals) before going for the nat imo. Or maybe just sneaking your 3rd, which tends to work pretty well on Oasis (to be fair, i never know when to expand on that map, since it's so different from all the others).

Carriers were a bold choice, but against a better player it would have spelled trouble imo. Going for collossi/carriers/immortals off of 4 gas seems a bit greedy^^ I wouldn't want to get ahead of myself and suggest anything else since I don't know the match-up well enough, but since you already had stargates: I've seen 2/3 phoenii used to great effect in PvP when robotics tech kicks in. It looked like you just made the carriers because you wanted to use your stargates

Anyways, I'm just bored and blabbering. I really don't know enough about the matchup to say anything besides some random guesses... Btw, what league are you in? Damn I hate the server separations...
    Last edited by Hammy; 03-29-2010 at 04:44 PM.

I'm in silver right now. Yeah I should use phoenix some time, I haven't used them once in a real game yet, and yes, I made the carrier just b/c I wanted to use my stargates.

Here's another very similar match, with some interesting tactics by my opponent. The play isn't very great by me, I was kind of lazy and I turtled the whole game, but I did get 1-2 carriers to supplement my army again. The ending is rich though. Our two forces split past one another by like a hair as we each demolish the other's base.

Need some advice for my TvP too. This 30 minute game was a tough one. My opponent seemed to have more resources than me, with him taking the gold minerals, but the scorescreen said I had more units than him. I'm pretty sure I lost because I didn't upgrade.

I thought you were going to post that 2v2 we did. :P

I'm gonna watch some of these, though!

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

let me first say its a joy to watch a rational terran game that doesnt revolve around M& M & M entirely: and one where infantry keeps playing a role, without healing support.

Im seriously awful at playing terran, so insert grain of salt here, but i sill have a few comments on that last game; youve probably thought of most of it, but i suppose emphasis can be helpful anyway:

earlygame, iv heard / realzied that it might be overkill to mass addons on all your rax asap: early gas is scarce. but mb it was OK sicne you wanted all those marauders.

as you moved in to attack, it showed that hit/run with T inf is powerful, however during this early fight you saved up a whooping 700 minerals if im not mistaken, and this is quite much this early on...

now, my own weakness playing terran is my complete failure to spend money rationally & consistently, but still: if you took 5-10 seconds to pull back; running without hitting to return shortly - yo might have started that expo up sooner, made some more scvs and even a crucial tech strucutre; be it ghost academy and / or factory.. it could have proved crucial. indeed, you could obviously have had great use of ghosts - even just a pair, without 'grades.

... as it turned out, you lost map ctrl to supported immortals, in favour of securing that expo, going for island and teching shees. i guess thats fine.

however, a more open mindset + scouting (scan?) would have favoured you: had you spotted how committed he was to robo tech & colossi you might have picked up ghosts, or at the very least made your fleet more cost-effective in-battle by including vikings. (plentiful zealots was also notable; whats terrans answer to charge-lots really? helion marauder with seige support? M&M that steers clear of colossi? ... but i digress)

as it turned out, even a few vikings might have favoured you greatly even AFTER the great battle that leveled your nat: as the shees + raven went on the offensive, vikings would have been sweet for picking off observers to prolong the shees harassment powers. (it was a shame to see that raven go down. would have been SWEET to see shee harassment empowered by a defensive drone or two!)

... thats about it i guess: once those banshees ran out of all sorts of juice & momentum without causing any mentionable econ-damage, it was clearly over.

GG. thanks for sharing!
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Aaah terran Alright!

It's true you didn't upgrade enough, but I really liked your first +1 damage upgrade. Not enough people get that early.

Here are some tips that would probably change your game a lot (I know they did for me):
    -Get more OCs! I was so frustrated seeing a CC at your nat. And even your main CC should have been upgraded earlier imo (I don't know why you delayed your first rax so much, it's crucial to get it up early so you can OC at 14 or 15).
    -Gold minerals are pwntastic for terran. On LT specifically, TvP you've got air domination so you can take your gold minerals and build a wall of suppy depots to block yourself in. The moment your CC lands, it should start upgrading and you should get your mules in there to make you an instant millionnaire. Especially in this game where you had tons of gas piling up but were lacking the minerals to build up more.
    -I would really suggest using hotkeys more. Maybe the replay interface has got some issues, but I only saw you hotkey your CC. You really need to hotkey your production building to keep your macro going at all times.

I think the banshee harass was good, and I'm sure Ps don't generally handle that well so it's a great idea. I also loved the vikings taking down the observers. As todie suggested, something combining the two would be sweet, even if it won't strengthen your core gameplay.

During the whole game I was thinking: "Why isn't he making ghosts?" "EMP would just end this game right here". You definitely had the gas to pull it off. Ghosts aren't what they used to be in BW. Right now they're just so easy to use. And the deal terrible terrible damage to anything protoss with EMP. When I play T, I delay my factory a lot in TvP and focus on getting a strong barracks based macro with ghosts to EMP. I can't say that's the best way to go, but it made TvP look almost too easy at some point (I got raped in TvZ, but did very well in TvP, against Z and P players who were ranked the same). I don't use my fact a lot generally speaking though.

Again, since you've got air domination, you shouldn't hesitate to fly around with your banshees and vikings. Banshees are so fantastic tbh, and I just realized that they're "light" units so stalkers weren't that fancy against them. You shouldn't have fought them head on so much, but they were definitely sturdy enough to run away easily and harass from another side.

Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    whats terrans answer to charge-lots really? helion marauder with seige support? M&M that steers clear of colossi?
    Charge-lots with what? If he's got a bunch, that means he's overcommited his gateways and you can take down his collossi with vikings and just defend against the zealots (at a choke they won't do anything). The best things against zealots is a decent sized, tightly packed army. Tanks might just kill your infantry even faster, so you need to watch out^^ Ghost EMP is always a good idea, and then marauders+hellions could just mop up. Just a random suggestion, since it really depends what he's doing with his zealots... If he's commited to zealots + robotics, banshees are a great idea too. It's so easy to completely destroy an econ with them.

once those banshees ran out of all sorts of juice & momentum without causing any mentionable econ-damage, it was clearly over.
    Nah, I don't think so. This game had some really long down times so it was always possible to rebuild. The deciding factor was just not scouting what he was doing. It's understandable though, I would have done the same. And he kind of blindly hard countered you, so that was bad luck (I don't think he had an obs positionned over your army, so he couldn't have known). More marines would have done the trick, and ghosts of course

Good game though, I enjoyed watching it. Cheers

edit:
    Forgot this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    earlygame, iv heard / realzied that it might be overkill to mass addons on all your rax asap: early gas is scarce. but mb it was OK sicne you wanted all those marauders.
    I totally agree with you. The tech labs are needed if you want marauders, but I think those 50gas for the reactor could have been better spent on an earlier stim. Once you've got mules gas is so much more valuable than minerals. It might be better to chalk up another 100 minerals instead of 50 gas (= getting another rax instead of a reactor). It's not like I'm any good anyways, but I try not to reactor barracks if I can avoid it. I think it's rarely worth it if you aren't going for some sort of a super optimized cheese.
    Last edited by Hammy; 04-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Yeah, Ghosts would have really helped. I had to do a giant facepalm after I realized that I totally forgot about them. I also regret not testing the other side of his base w/ my Banshees. I could have at least taken out a few pylons.

-Get more OCs! I was so frustrated seeing a CC at your nat. And even your main CC should have been upgraded earlier imo (I don't know why you delayed your first rax so much, it's crucial to get it up early so you can OC at 14 or 15).
    -I would really suggest using hotkeys more. Maybe the replay interface has got some issues, but I only saw you hotkey your CC. You really need to hotkey your production building to keep your macro going at all times.
    I did have the buildings set to hotkeys - I remember tabbing through them. My BO got messed up at the beginning though so my first OC was definitely late.

Here's a PvZ basically showing how to fend off a Zerg rush and take advantage w/ Void Rays. Also, the Baneling AI needs work. :P

Here are some replays of phoenix use in PvP. I love this strat now! PvpPhoenix1 shows me getting demolished by this (the guy had like 250 apm though too). PvpPhoenix2 shows me using this on Kulas Ravine. The key is to use graviton beam against Immortals. Most protoss players try to get 1-2 immortals because they decimate Stalkers. But Stalkers are the units you need for this strat to work because they can hit units graviton-ed in the air.

Thanks god the replay of me being owned in 2v2 is not here! XD