• Shadow Hunters

6 18.18%
  • Twilight

11 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Starcraft Book

Default Favourite Starcraft Book

Whats your favourite starcraft book so far?

or actually what are your top 3 starcraft books?

I would have to say I liked the Queen of Blades the most. I thought it portrayed Kerrigan very well and showed unique sides to the characters that we didn't see in the game; it also made the campaign make alot more sense, though there were some things that I pictured differently (one thing off the top of my head was I didn't think Aldaris actually came with the executor to char but rather just transmitted stuff to him). Next I would say Nova; she was just bad ass in that novel. Finally I would say Liberty's Crusade; I thought it portrayed the early mass panic of the zerg invasion awsomely. I did like other books too like Speed of Darkness which helped show the confederacy in all its evil ways, though I didn't really think it was necissary for blizzard to write about the same event twice in their novels. I, Mengsk was pretty good but It certianly hanged how I thought the timeline went. Firstborn was good; it and the rest of the dark templar saga certianly explained alot and were pretty good. However I thought Shadow of the Xel'naga, Twilight and Shadow Hunters forced the 3-way climactic battle just a little hard, it didn't seem natural to me.

What about you guys?
    Last edited by RODTHEGOD; 03-24-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Favourite Starcraft Book

Twilight - had so much Protoss lore & Xel'Naga mythology. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Queen of Blades - while it was a butchery of SC canon, and the author took way too many liberties, some of which I can't forgive, it was very fun to read. I enjoyed the battles and characterizations.

The "highest quality" book probably has to be I, Mengsk though. That one exceeded my expectations. Graham did an awesome job.

For what it's done for the characters, Uprising is an easy pick. Although from what I hear the book itself is awful, its legacy has left a permanent mark on the SC1 Terran campaign that fundamentally deepens the Kerrigan-Mengsk relationship. For that I'll always be grateful to it.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Seeing as how I was the one who told you that, it's not 'awful'. It's just poorly written. The grammar, prose, etc. are all pretty weak. If it were a SC mini-campaign, it'd be awesome. :P

But Uprising is the only Blizzard book I've read where I felt it fit in perfectly with the overall scheme of things. So it's probably my favourite.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

I am going to have to go with I, Mengsk

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Queen of Blades - while it was a butchery of SC canon, and the author took way too many liberties, some of which I can't forgive, it was very fun to read. I enjoyed the battles and characterizations.
    I really dislike that book . I agree that it butchered the canon and I also felt that even in the characterisation department, it wasn't too true to the way you see the characters in the game :[.

In fact, I was disappointed with a good number of the SC novels, but the Dark Templar trilogy was very solid. Probably the best, actually.

I haven't read I, Mengsk, but since you say it's good, I'll give it a look if I can find a copy :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    Seeing as how I was the one who told you that, it's not 'awful'. It's just poorly written. The grammar, prose, etc. are all pretty weak. If it were a SC mini-campaign, it'd be awesome. :P
    Actually, I've heard from a few other people, too. But even so that would have fit under my definition of awful. My standards don't get lower just 'cause it's a book about a game, y'know.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

100% Twilight
    Hidden Content:

blah.

Speed of Darkness is the absolute best for me.

It doesn't have anything significant in terms of new information about lore, and it doesn't feature any of the more significant characters of Starcraft. And that's part of its charm. When novels, movies, games or whatever starts focusing too much on the same old characters and revolve around the same old plot points it creates a very claustrophobic feel to the universe. The Star Wars novels are a good example of this, always the same people, always the same issues, and nothing ever deviates from that. This novel is nothing more then a brief zerg versus terran romp on Mar Sara, and itís very interesting even though it doesnít affect the grand scheme of things in the verse. From a military sci-fi point-of-view it's also extremely well written (and that's what I'm a sucker for).

Most novels will depict a token battle in the following way: "And then the marines came and they fired and whatever they fired at died." But SoD goes a lot further then so and actually details tactics not only on the squad level but the platoon level. I love that. It brings a sort of realism to the war and very much echoes whatever brief glimpses we got in the cinematics.

Liberty's Crusade; I, Mengsk; Twilight. I've read most of the books and pretty much enjoyed all of them, even the flawed ones. But those three were fantastic