Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to spread creep?

Dale's Avatar Junior Member

Default Is it worth it to spread creep?

I've begun seeing some games where creep is spread.
    I want to know more about it, but I don't have the beta.

Is it worth it to spread creep?

What would you say is the preferred method? Tumors or Overlords?
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

To everyone else, have you gone up against a zerg player
    who spreads creep? Did you feel he was harder to kill?

If you don't have beta, than based on the games you've
    watched in livestreams, youtube videos, or replays,
    What's you're opinion about creep?

Do you find any other advantage, besides increased unit
    movement speed, in spreading creep?

What are the disadvantages to spreading creep?

How would you deal with creep spreading in a ZvZ game?
    How well does creep spreading work against ZvT or ZvP?

Default Re: Is it worth it to spread creep?

in short, i will just say its situational; its highly integral toy our queen use, which is dependant on much more than your desire to spread creep; sometimes you remain stationary and macro-focused for much of teh game, keeping energy levels on all your queens low by using SL. other times you have at least temporarily extra queen energy and may opt to make a tuor or two with it.

i find it useful to spread it infront of my base - mainly infron of my natural, using tumors. becuase then the enemy needs detection to get rid of it, and if he doesnt, you can quickly flank him as he approaches.

overlords surely have many great uses with concerns to spreading creep - not least combined with the planting of far-off creep tumors (even combined with carying a queen inside on the way there) .... but so far, i have mostly used it to spread creep between the main and natural expo to make a "highway", incase i havnt already connected the creep-bodies with tumors.

midgame and on, you engerally ahve a freaky lot of overlrods.. so if you aint afraid of using them, and get speed for them, you can probably place them in lines all over the place to basically make some highways.... but if they get hit by an anti-air force that is superir to you in mobility or power, your in trouble; seems like a big risk. better make sure you use that ground-unit speed boost to make it worth it!
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Moved to the strategy forum.

Theory craft from a Protoss player:

Seeing as creep drop is free from Overlords, and you'll always have tons of Ovies, I see no reason to not have them all producing Creep all the time, spreading it across as much of the map as possible. There is no downside (for Zerg) to spreading creep except in ZvZ where your op will get the same advantage from the creep you produce as you.

Is it worth it to spread creep?
    Worth what? It's free. The most you're going to spend is part of a SL cycle, and even that is a one-time investment. At Lair tech, all your Overlords get creep drop at no cost.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post
    Worth what? It's free. The most you're going to spend is part of a SL cycle, and even that is a one-time investment. At Lair tech, all your Overlords get creep drop at no cost.
    Here's another way to put it: Is it worth spending time placing your overlords for optimal creep spread while risking their lives, so that you can benefit from more creep.

My answer is: As long as you minimize the risk, yes. I use OL creep from my main to my nat all the time. From my nat to my 3rd I'll either use a creep tumor or more OLs (or both).
    I've never tried spreading creep at my opponent's 3rd though, but I guess it could be a good idea. When I don't know what to do with my faster clicks anymore, I'll probably consider doing that.

Spreading creep in the middle of the battlefield seems like suicide unless you know exactly what you're doing.

A great example of creep usage is the finals game on Lost Temple in yesterday's zotac cup. You should get that replay and check it out. Don't click this if you don't want spoilers
    Hidden Content:
    Although Dimaga ends up losing, he spreads his creep all the way to his third and uses some pretty badass tower placement all while getting vision from the xel'naga. I thought that was a great idea. The creep proves to be invaluable while fighting with hydra versus hellion, and he definitely won a battle thanks to that. Too bad his macro wasn't strong enough to finish it.

My favorite benefit of the creep is the extra vision. I try to spread it at least past my expansion. Then I can see them coming without having to put my overlords in danger. You really only need your queen to put down one tumor to accomplish this.
    ________
    Medical cannabis seeds
    Last edited by TWD; 09-14-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Creep is Zerg's only method of terrain control right now.

So of course it's worth it.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Dale's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post
    The cost, I would say, is more macro. The actions used to spread
    creep could be used position units, spawn larvae, build your base, etc.

Also, creep takes time to spread. So the creep may not spread
    to the area of interest unless you use Ovie, IN WHICH CASE,
    you're putting your supply in a vulnerable spot, where they're at risk.

So, if you use tumor, than you're macroing more without
    necessarily seeing any benefit. Especially if most battles
    occur somewhere in the middle of the map or at your enemy's base.
    The only advantage I can see to using tumors is that they increase
    the defensive capability of your army in early game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    The cost, I would say, is more macro.
    OH NO! MACRO! I won't see this thread ever again if it becomes a Creep Macro Disscusion!