Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Replays/Feedback] Todie's Replays, reflections and ramblings

Default Re: [Replays/Feedback] Todie's Replays, reflections and ramblings

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    You don't know when to GG, Todie!
    [...]
    i've won so many games just sticking it out; some people just stop playing.

but mostly, some people relly so heavily on their cheese tactics and are utterly useless at transitioning into any rational build afterwards, meaning im able to recover despite having a trashed economy or whatever.

i just had one of those: wasnt his probe-count vastly supperior for so much of the game?
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    well.. it looks like hammy is right; that ramp looks to be closer than i remember it.

thx.
    I did watch the replay you know... lol : ) You say that as though I just guessed he had vision^^

no offense; i t was just cuz the file displayed as having 0 downloads still.

yay for patch 12 ! i can watch replays again
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.

Hi.

... so i've played around with Random lately. got some dent fun out of playing protoss, with phoenixes, even ending the game with carriers a couple of times..

but overall it was too hard to keep up with being rational in all possible matchups, so i went back to playing terran.

doing so, this morning, playing vs Zerg, it felt like i did something seriously right for a change, and not just a gimmicky early / mid-game power-play either, but a full game; powerful opening play into solid safe macro midgame into a thrilling but controlled endgame.

.. when playing random i was struggling around top 10 gold, only occasionally beating players my own rank. Now, sort of like when i was playing terran before, im top 5 and getting pitted against some platinum players - this Zerg was ranked 32 plat.

strategy / game details:
    Hidden Content:

I open reaper, careful not to lose them. i follow up by building an offensive bunker and brining up a marauder - in retrospect, two would have been better! - maybe even a 2nd scv to repair more?

... since the map doesnt really give angle for it, im not too hot for the drone kills, but settle to restrict ling movement.

this delays drone powering, delays expansion and forces roaches, though i guess B-lings could bust that bunker too.

i do this because i think its important to have the initiative; if i sit in my corner or do an empty random reaper harass, too often do i end up getting contained/outmacroed or B-ling busted

... meanwhile, i tech up. getting a banshee out; i see him scouting that tech and dont expect to do damage with it, still i did retreat too easily; should have tried hitting his main from the back!

First, im thinking ill get some thors, then i spot the hdyra den and opt for more Tanks first; use the armory to upgrade weapons - before i even have an engbay up.. (this may be worth doing again, but in what situations?)

.. given the circumstances, my expo is safely established with a bunker , MM & tanks..

it isnt long before i scan his tier3 tech, but no greter spire yet! ... i head out to pressure his natural expand, while making sure i can mass the hell out of vikings asap.

Next time i'd want to go for more ravens; pt-defense drones are awesome vs hydras AND corrupters, also, i might want to try a heavier mech play, whats holding me back is the helions : im still quite uncorrectable with them...

questions / comments / whatevers are most welcome. thats what this thread is for you know...
    Last edited by Todie; 05-17-2010 at 05:08 AM.

Hi.

Very solid playing there, Todie .

Just so you know though, I don't really think the ranks of opponents matter that much . Remember that replay you watched of me on Steppes with that Terran who was trying to drop me, and me ending the game with a pincer in the middle? I was #18 in my Plat div at the time of that match, and my opponent was #25 . There are just so many inexperienced players flooding Bnet at the moment that it's not too difficult to be in Plat as long as you know what you're doing.}

Of course, maybe things are different on the European servers and there's a higher standard of play . I reckon you'd be Plat on the American servers.

Anyhoo, your Reaper attack DID succeed in making the Zerg commit to more Lings than he would have wanted to early in the game, but your macro did slip a bit while you were microing your Reapers and as your early pressure petered out, I didn't think that you had produced as much back at your base as you could have.

Also, you could have ended the game at 16:30 . It's unfortunate that you couldn't see past that brush, because if you did, you would have seen that all the Zerg had was 8 Zerglings, 12 Roaches, and 6 Hydras. That's an army that would be crushed by your 11 Marauders, 18 Marines, and 3 Siege Tanks (even unsieged). You would have had enough surviving to push into the Zerg's base and crush whatever reinforcements would trickle out. The 7 Corruptors looked intimidating, but they can't hurt your army besides Corruption, which isn't that effective without really high-priority targets like Thors or Battlecruisers.

But like you said - it was just some very solid-looking Terran . I always love seeing tanks being used :].

One of my favourite bits was your attack on the Zerg's High Yield at 24:00. That was the most bizarre thing - you attack with like...one of everything . One Banshee, one Marine, one SCV, one Marauder, and one Thor . It was like pre-alpha WarCraft 3 .

Also, getting Corruptors with the intention to get Brood Lords is fine, but getting Corruptors to counter Vikings is a really bad idea :S. I don't think that Zerg player knew how bad Corruptors are vs Vikings - he should have gone for Mutalisks. But of course, while Mutalisks can stand toe-to-toe against Vikings better than Corruptors, Mutalisks still don't flat-out counter Vikings the same way that Phoenixes counter Muta .

Post our replay now
    I've just learned howto semi-efficient use the high templars.

Or I'll just post it :P
    Attachment 766

I've played about 2-3 weeks I think, started in (1v1) bronze then silver and now gold :P
    Last edited by Twilice; 05-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Yes, that was a decent game iirc!

now, we're in patch 13. the server issues appear to be getting worked out, so today i played my placement mathces. sticked with terran in hope of ending up fighting it out with the big guys for a little bit before this part of the beta ends.

and i managed it: i went 5-0 with relative ease, though the last guy did put up a significant fight.

TvP on Scrap station. i went 2 rax expo, and getting that defended ended up quite hectic. it evolved into a good game after that, as he expanded while pressuring me and even managed to sneak a few zealot in to even the econ-score while pressuring the front..

this was one of thsose games; i'd want to look closer at it. but due to the NEW replay bug in patch 13, i cant see the minimap in replays, so its kind of painful tow match em - im not gonna look at it closely more than once.

obviously teh game was littered by misstakes, both on macro in micro.. but the general broad strokes & priorities of it still felt somewhat tight.

so if anyone would want to help me pick this game apart, i would be glad

.. my opponents bad attitude towards the end is also noteworthy.

Hi.