Thread: Advanced order queues in starcraft2 - where we're at / where we SHOULD be

Default Advanced order queues in starcraft2 - where we're at / where we SHOULD be

so i have noticed that pretty much every single order you can give a unit in starcraft 2 is queue-able; for example:

you can tell a tank to kill a unit, then go to location A, then seige up, then attack structure B.
    ... you can tell infantery units to go to a location, then stim, then attack move.
    ... you can order all your home-base-queens to spawn larva on all relevant hatcheries (most easily done when they are under the same hotkey)
    ... you can tell a group of ravens / infestors to go to a location and then set up infested terrans / auto turrets in a certain pattern.
    ... you can tell a ghost or banshee to go to a location, then cloak, then go somewhere else.

however, you CAN NOT queue subsequent orders on a unit that doesnt have the ability to do that which you want, in its current state, this broadly affects transport units (cant queue unload before you ahve loaded anything - even if youve ordered to load something) but quite notably it also affects queues for "cloakable" units:

for example, you may well want to make an order queue for your infestors to move while burrowed to a location, unburrow - that far its possible, and then keep on queueing some spellcasts! (FG on a mineral line + some IT's all around it? or move to a weak flank that has heavy units, unburrow + neural parasite?) ... but you cant do this; the UI doesnt adapt along with the queued actions to reflect abilities available in different states; you cant even include a burrow and unburrow order in the same queue.

regardless, i think this is wrong; it should be consequent.. the UI should adapt; if i tell a transport to pick up a unit, of course i should be able to tell it where to drop it off, before its gotten picked up, regardless if there's anything in it at the time of giving the order or not.

a slightly related not on the matter of order queues: i would love the option for some wait commands when making order queues, then players that are able to rationalize their surroundings on the map and predict enemy movement could use this to further improve timed tactical feats, moving in with different groups from different angles at different (or the exact same) times.. before objecting to this, remember that you can effectively already do this with units that can move: just spamm teh right amount of short distance movment in the area tehy are to wait - burrowed+stationary units cant do this (it makes much more sense to lay burrowed waiting for the enemy than to run around like a crazy person).... though rational, i do realize this is somewhat far fetched, and a topic of its own really.

dont let it distract you too much from the main point here; the state of the action queueing system may be good, but its not as rational & consequent as it could and should be.
    Last edited by Todie; 04-05-2010 at 06:10 AM.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Default Re: Advanced order queues in starcraft2 - where we're at / where we SHOULD be

I agree. The UI should reflect the state of the unit taking into account all the queued orders, as long as you are pressing the Ctrl Shift key. So, if you select a transport, hold Ctrl Shift, right-click over some units, then the unload command should become available right there. The same with cloak/decloak, or everything else.

If something stops a command (for example: unit killed before loading it), either that particular command should fail, and continue with the rest, or cancel all the queued commands.
    Last edited by Norfindel; 03-13-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Default Re: Advanced order queues in starcraft2 - where we're at / where we SHOULD be

you mean to say, the shift key
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    you mean to say, the shift key
    Yeah, i press the shift key while playing, i don't know why i confuse the keys when not playing