Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Marauder

rdragon87's Avatar Junior Member

Default The Marauder

So my friend plays Protoss almost exclusively in BW. He is worried about Protoss in Sc2, I've consistantly argued that Protoss is actually stronger, especially w/ ChronoBoost and Warp-in. However, he says he doesn't understand how he can win against Marauders w/stims. He's pointed to a few replays where mass-Marauders with just a little support rolls most of what Protoss has to offer. I've seen a few videos where the only group that survives a huge battle are Marauders and then most of them survive. These units seem to survive an amazing amount of punishment (125hp?), and return fire with an amount frightening amount of damage while stimmed.

I'm wondering what people who have actually played against this beasts have to say? I love the unit, but I'd hate to only be winning because it's OP. I also wonder if this just has to do more with the Critical Mass of Infantry Terran that seems to happen (i.e. when the Terran mob gets big enough, they roll just about everything that gets in the way [with stims]).

As a quick sidenote, he seems displeased with many of the new units. He doesn't like the Colossi because they are 'frail' (they get focus fired upon too easily because of their size), he doesn't like the Pheonix because he feels it's a pathetic excuse for AtA, and he seems bothered by Psi-storm's reduced damage.

I'm trying to convince him that it's not as bad as it seems. If he keeps this negative outlook when the game is released, he will not enjoy it as much. So if any of you have some maybe some exemplary examples of P owning T, I would appreciate it (youtube examples would be best). I've shown him Crota's shoutcasts, but there is just as much ammunition for his argument there.

I've tried all the arguments for P that I can think of, but he counters with some T unit. In my opinion, this means it's fairly balanced because our arguments last for hours and function in a cyclical nature. However, I need to reassure him that everything will be fine, so if anyone can help that would be cool.
    Last edited by rdragon87; 03-10-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side… and the truth. ~John Sheridan

Never argue with idiots for they with bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. ~Anonymous

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. ~C.S. Lewis

Default Re: The Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by rdragon87 View Post
    So my friend plays Protoss almost exclusively in BW. He is worried about Protoss in Sc2, I've consistantly argued that Protoss is actually stronger, especially w/ ChronoBoost and Warp-in. However, he says he doesn't understand how he can win against Marauders w/stims. He's pointed to a few replays where mass-Marauders with just a little support rolls most of what Protoss has to offer. I've seen a few videos where the only group that survives a huge battle are Marauders and then most of them survive. These units seem to survive an amazing amount of punishment (125hp?), and return fire with an amount frightening amount of damage while stimmed.

I'm wondering what people who have actually played against this beasts have to say? I love the unit, but I'd hate to only be winning because it's OP. I also wonder if this just has to do more with the Critical Mass of Infantry Terran that seems to happen (i.e. when the Terran mob gets big enough, they roll just about everything that gets in the way [with stims]).

As a quick sidenote, he seems displeased with many of the new units. He doesn't like the Colossi because they are 'frail' (they get focus fired upon too easily because of their size), he doesn't like the Pheonix because he feels it's a pathetic excuse for AtA, and he seems bothered by Psi-storm's reduced damage.

I'm trying to convince him that it's not as bad as it seems. If he keeps this negative outlook when the game is released, he will not enjoy it as much. So if any of you have some maybe some exemplary examples of P owning T, I would appreciate it (youtube examples would be best). I've shown him Crota's shoutcasts, but there is just as much ammunition for his argument there.

I've tried all the arguments for P that I can think of, but he counters with some T unit. In my opinion, this means it's fairly balanced because our arguments last for hours and function in a cyclical nature. However, I need to reassure him that everything will be fine, so if anyone can help that would be cool.
    Psi storm is much more easy to use now,and immortals pretty much negate any armored terran units,you only have to watch out for EMP but carrying your immortals and templars in prisms will bring an end to that strategy,AND protoss has both the strongest(in terms of stats) and most different units to choose from,So i guess if NOT counting any individual
    player skills protoss is the best race in sc2...

zealots with charge will rip through marauders and marines alike

Last time I checked, Immortals absolutely rape Marauders.

Simple. When faced off against Marauders, just bring a million billion Archon's and you should have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by imdrunkontea View Post
    zealots with charge will rip through marauders and marines alike
    Yes, that's the problem i'm seeing in replays.
    Zealots without Charge can be managed by Marauders with a little micro, and adding Marines seems to not be worth it.
    With Charge, they rape Marauders and Marines badly.
    How does the Stalker fit in this situation? Not much, it seems.
    What happened with mixed armies? At least in BW, Firebat > Zealots > Marines > Dragoon > Firebat. Ok, the Firebat sucked for pretty much everything else, so nobody used them, but the general idea was good.

Quote Originally Posted by REF View Post
    Last time I checked, Immortals absolutely rape Marauders.
    Taking into account costs? The Immortals cost 4 times as much gas as a Marauder, and have 2.5 times the mineral cost.

What happened with mixed armies?
    Hellions can deal with Zealots with Charge just fine. Toss some of those guys in there with their upgraded attack, and the Zealots will melt away.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Come to think of it i think immortals are fine now,I thought they were OP but actually i was wrong,considering cost and time to produce they are fairly balanced,and from personal experiance they die quite fast from Marines and Marauders with stim ! Only psi storm or good microed colossi can tip the scales back in your favor...
    Last edited by arthas; 03-10-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    Taking into account costs? The Immortals cost 4 times as much gas as a Marauder, and have 2.5 times the mineral cost.
    AFAIK a single immortal can take out 3 maurauders
    I don't think it's right to look at it from just a cost basis. Toss have different macro mechanics from terran. As well 1 ling vs 1 marine (Brood wars) the ling will win, but if you have 24 marines vs 24 lings then marines will rape face. Granted it has to do with the range vs melee attack but regardless. In mass, immortals will destroy maurauders.

How many Immortals and Marauders were in the battle?