Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Siege Tanks?

Default Siege Tanks?

So I noticed siege tanks aren't quite as powerful as they were in SC. Honestly, I always felt in SC they were too OP. With siege and goliaths, unless you had some really good micro, the Terrans were very difficult to approach. I don't quite see that in SC2. There are lots of counters to the current siege tank from zealot charge, stalker blink, or roaches that move underground. They also cost more food making them harder to spam. How do you guys feel about the role of the siege tank? Can it still be considered the Terran's central defend and push unit?

Default Re: Siege Tanks?

I think the fact that we don't see it as much is a very good thing. As you said, they were probably overpowered or overused, at the least, in SC1. Hopefully SC2 will encourage the use of a greater number of units. Now, I don't want to see Siege Tanks go by the wayside, either. They're a great, fun unit. I think the units I see most of on Terran side are M&M&Ms. I don't know if that's a representation of how good those units are, or just that games tend to end so early, that people focus mostly on the early Terran units.

With the new damage system, tanks are actually deal more damage universally than their SC1 counterparts. The problem lies in their cost - 1 more supply and 25 more gas than before.

I want Terran to have more options than to mass tanks in every matchup except for SK Terran v Zerg (and even then you get tanks if the ultra/defiler prove too numerous) so I don't see this as a problem.

As you said, they were probably overpowered or overused, at the least, in SC1.
    Overused, yes. Overpowered... well...

The reason they were the go-to unit in TvP is because the alternative (Barracks play) is violently and irrevocably shut down by one unit: High Templar. The second Templar tech comes out, M&M disintegrate. A Terran relying on them may as well GG at that point.

That basically means that half the Terran ground arsenal is unusable. So they have no real choice but to use Factory tech. And the only thing at Factory level that can stop the Protoss are Siege Tanks. Hence the need for Tanks.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Well there was that article about how siege tanks smart fire now too, which is a huge bonus. If you have a lot of tanks and know how to micro shift-attack, you can potentially do a lot more damage to large enemy forces.

I almost always just make thors instead of tanks, there still really good though
    "No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other."
    Be sure to check out the best #$*&#$ video game show ever Epileptic Gaming and the lastest episode on youtube NOW IN HD
    - Oh its a egg I wonder whats inside! =)

Speaking of siege tanks, REMOVE THE DAMN RANGE INDICATOR. That is so dumbed down i can't believe they put it in. Yes Blizzard, I udnerstand that 15 year olds can't estimate range. But seriously, 5 siege tanks = 50 little pointless arrows on my map.

As for the actual unit, put the food cost back down to 2. Always annoyed me that if I build a siege tank, my food goes to hell

yea i've noticed from streams that most people either don't bother building them now or they only build two to defend the base... and i've definitely haven't seen anyone push out with them

they seem so much more vulnerable

Quote Originally Posted by Wankey View Post
    Speaking of siege tanks, REMOVE THE DAMN RANGE INDICATOR. That is so dumbed down i can't believe they put it in. Yes Blizzard, I udnerstand that 15 year olds can't estimate range. But seriously, 5 siege tanks = 50 little pointless arrows on my map.

As for the actual unit, put the food cost back down to 2. Always annoyed me that if I build a siege tank, my food goes to hell
    I think that instead of each tank having its own circle, if there are many tanks, the multiple range indicators should merge into one singe indicator that shows the total covered area, not the area covered by each tank.

Im I being clear????
    Waiting...

The damned will return...

Kegluneq's Avatar Junior Member

I was thinking the exact same thing.