Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Alternate Keyboard Setup

Default Suggestion: Alternate Keyboard Setup

I know this can be done with third party apps in WC3. But for SC2, you guys think this can be a switchable feature?

Play Protoss? Look for the map Photon Cannon Tactics in the NA server!

Default Re: Suggestion: Alternate Keyboard Setup

YES! I WOULD LIKE THAT VERY MUCH!

Or at the very least, have all the hotkey be the first letter to the unit or upgrade.

B for Blink
    Q for Queen
    M for Marines
    P for Probes
    N for Nexus

And so forth... it just comes so naturally for me to do it like that!

Quote Originally Posted by moosh View Post
    YES! I WOULD LIKE THAT VERY MUCH!

Or at the very least, have all the hotkey be the first letter to the unit or upgrade.

B for Blink
    Q for Queen
    M for Marines
    P for Probes
    N for Nexus

And so forth... it just comes so naturally for me to do it like that!
    Are you in the beta?

I've actually found that using E for probes, while a little weird at first is far superior. The only one that throws me off is A for marines. I just can't get used to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    Are you in the beta?

I've actually found that using E for probes, while a little weird at first is far superior. The only one that throws me off is A for marines. I just can't get used to that one.
    Unfortunately, no. = \

I imagine I can get used to it. And it's probably better than reaching over to the other side of the keyboard. But I dunno... some options on key binds would still be nice. I definitely find myself stumbling over the keys sometimes (in SC1).

I thought custom Keybinds were going to be in?

I actually grew to really like the new Keybinds over the old.

The -only- thing I have a gripe with is "modes" having 2 key binds. S for Siege mode and D for Tank mode? E for Air Viking D for Land Viking?

That just over complicates things. It should be 1 key that toggles the modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoonx View Post
    I thought custom Keybinds were going to be in?

I actually grew to really like the new Keybinds over the old.

The -only- thing I have a gripe with is "modes" having 2 key binds. S for Siege mode and D for Tank mode? E for Air Viking D for Land Viking?

I think they still plan on adding keybind support. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

The reason the mode keys are set to different keys is because you may have some unsieged tanks along with some sieged ones and you man want to only turn the sieged tanks to tank mode or the tank mode tanks to siege mode, You can easily do it by hitting the corresponding key.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    I think they still plan on adding keybind support. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

The reason the mode keys are set to different keys is because you may have some unsieged tanks along with some sieged ones and you man want to only turn the sieged tanks to tank mode or the tank mode tanks to siege mode, You can easily do it by hitting the corresponding key.
    Ah, that makes sense.

I mostly use Protoss so I hardly encounter the "Mode" stuff. I bet if I played Terran more it would grow on me.

Yeah I messed up a lot at the beginning, but it's actually far better to have a different hotkey for each mode. Definitely a good choice.

Regarding hotkeys in general: I still have my old text file from WC3 where I had bound all of my keys to a pattern that looks a bit like what the OP suggested. The problem with his suggestion is that some of the most used keys would be better off at the top (near the numbers), rather than at the bottom, just so you don't have to twist your hand all the time.

For instance, one of the most strategical keys is Q (on a qwerty), but in Don's layout, it would be used for "move", which is something you never use (since you just right-click). Basically, this layout is good for buildings, but bad for units.

The concept is good though, and personnally I kept a similar layout except that for units, qwerty is spells, and A, S, D, F are respectively attack, stop, hold position and patrol.
    For SC2 it might be different though, since some actions, such as modes and add-ons, are more spread out in the bottom right UI.

Just as a note, ALL modes are E and D. That means that deploying/undeploying for Phase Prism, Seige Mode/Deseige, Assault/Air mode are all D/E. This is rather reassuring when you start playing all three races because it makes the transition to the other races very simple. The only exception I can see is Supply Depot Down/up is simply "r" however, I think it fits well in my mind as you think of it as a structure.

I also think that, while some people were confused, they way they changed certain cluster of hotkeys worked. Some people may think "Why is Pylon E?" but don't go out of their way to think about how "Probe" was P and "Pylon" was P... so by moving both to the key E, your mind works less to adapt. You can see them doing this style of work and I have to say that it works rather well. It doesn't change that you take at least 2 days to get used to them.
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by dragoonx View Post
    i thought custom keybinds were going to be in?

I actually grew to really like the new keybinds over the old.

The -only- thing i have a gripe with is "modes" having 2 key binds. S for siege mode and d for tank mode? E for air viking d for land viking?

also agreed!