Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars (General Grievous)

Default Star Wars (General Grievous)

I have started thinking a lot about my favorite Star Wars character, General Grievous. And I must say... LucasArts, literally AND figuratively, killed him.

His introduction, the 2D cartoon series. He utterly raped. His first encounter with 6 jedi, he took them all without revealing all of his arms. Then look at the 3D series, he couldn't even take 2 at a time. Episode 3? He couldn't handle 1. They severely crippled him far too much. He deserved a far more glorious death than that. Even with Mace Windu (CHEATING BASTARD) having crippled him, he should have been able to take a LOT more than what he did.

Opinions?

Default Re: Star Wars (General Grievous)

The Clone Wars version is broadly considered to be the superior version of General Grievous and got many a fan's expectations up for the movie. Of course, it didn't come to fruition because, quite frankly, George can't write a story or dialog worth a damn. Moreover, the choreographer had a nightmare trying to orchestrate the fight scene with Grievous, so copped out and lobbed off his hands.

Had he mirrored his Clone Wars counterpart, he would have been a real show-stealer. Instead, we got yet another a Star Wars movie.

PS I think it might have helped too if Richard McGonagle had voiced Grievous instead of Matthew Wood and his absolutely ridiculous pseudo-russian accent.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 02-23-2010 at 03:28 AM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

I have NEVER liked General Grievous :S. He's just a ridiculous character. Jedi were pretty badass, and I'm sure there's a TV trope somewhere about how guys like Grevious ruin the badass image of Jedi.

Jedi powers had to be 'nerfed' in order to make Grevious an actual threat. He has no Force powers - levitating him and tossing him aside shouldn't be any more difficult than doing it to anything else.

Being able to 'dodge' a Force Push in the 2D animated series also struck me as just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    I have NEVER liked General Grievous :S. He's just a ridiculous character. Jedi were pretty badass, and I'm sure there's a TV trope somewhere about how guys like Grevious ruin the badass image of Jedi.

Jedi powers had to be 'nerfed' in order to make Grevious an actual threat. He has no Force powers - levitating him and tossing him aside shouldn't be any more difficult than doing it to anything else.

Being able to 'dodge' a Force Push in the 2D animated series also struck me as just being silly.
    Hense why the token black guy jumped in a crippled him.

I'm sure there's a TV trope somewhere about how guys like Grevious ruin the badass image of Jedi.
    I think the Word Effect comes close... even though it was never actually employed by Grievous. He's referred to as a monster and sociopath, but never demonstrates this. After Dooku's death, he becomes the Big Bad -- and is implied to have been such even during Dooku's reign. Yet his character suffers defeat after humiliating defeat in not only the movie but also the horrid CG cartoon series.

I think he could have been an extremely interesting character, had he been able to act on his "reputation" as a Jedi killer, monstrous warrior and brilliant tactician. He could have encouraged Palpatine's misdirection, growing to monstrous proportions as a character without Dooku to hold him back. Instead, he's just another Villain of the Week.

Yeah, Jedi and Sith epitomize badass, but I always like characters that are even more badass through sheer skill, talent and tenacity, even without all the "hocus pocus". That is what makes a character badass.

Finally, he was supposed to foreshadow what Darth Vader was to become. He was a prototype cyborg, yet this was barely looked into. Most viewers thought he was just another Droid. =\
    Aaand sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis186 View Post
    I have started thinking a lot about my favorite Star Wars character, General Grievous. And I must say... LucasArts, literally AND figuratively, killed him.

His introduction, the 2D cartoon series. He utterly raped. His first encounter with 6 jedi, he took them all without revealing all of his arms. Then look at the 3D series, he couldn't even take 2 at a time. Episode 3? He couldn't handle 1. They severely crippled him far too much. He deserved a far more glorious death than that. Even with Mace Windu (CHEATING BASTARD) having crippled him, he should have been able to take a LOT more than what he did.

Opinions?
    What was the lore behind the fact that he could weild lightsabers? To my recollection lightsabers worked the way they do because jedi harnassed the force to control them and keep them in check (ie: the length) - (this is why the only jedi you see throw his lightsaber (Yoda) is the most powerful one in the serires... How was he able to do it?

~LoA
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Beloved.

Lightsabers produce a gyroscopic effect -- essentially, though they are nothing but shafts of energy, they act as though they have mass. This is what makes them difficult to wield and predict, a handicap that is negated by Force proficiency.

General Grievous was modified with cybernetics and processors, allowing his reflexes and movements to be far faster than natural.

... because i have no life ._.
    Aaand sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    ... because i have no life ._.
    This is a bad thing?

I just feel pissed at them for not making Grievous the almighty jedi-slayer he was meant to be.
    Everyone in the shows and movies talked about him like he was SO dangerous, don't go at him alone, look out for him, etc. Yet, he didn't really DO anything besides in his introduction.
    Last edited by Alzarath; 02-25-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Hey some jedis have lightsabre whips and crazy shit. Pew pew pew

Give me a lightsaber gun and I'll be happy.