Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass Carriers

Default Mass Carriers

Anyone get raped by mass carriers yet?

I was going carriers/voids and got hit by like 18 carriers. Didn't stand a chance.

I don't think it would be so bad if the phoenix wasn't such a piece of crap.

Extranjero's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Mass Carriers

I play Terran, and mass vikes are what I've been using against carriers. They can handle smaller groups of <8-10. I've only faced 12+ carriers a few times, but each time they've pwned whatever I can throw at them.

LXM's Avatar SC:L Addict

Honestly the Phoenix is the most horrible unit at the moment, I mean what the fuck. Against a Zerg that goes Muta's there hardly anything you can do. Stalkers won't cut it and Phoenixes just get laughed at when the Muta's rape them. I don't see how Muta's can wipe out a large force of phoenixes with out effort. It's nice that they're fast and all but their attack rate should get a big boost for them to be a unit that's worthwhile.

Back to carriers : )
    Hav0x, you've got to watch out for carrier critical mass. It was the exact same thing back in SC:BW where once you reach critical mass, no army can beat such a huge carrier force (except scourge, but even then it takes amazing micro and the protoss needs to have 0 corsairs).
    Basically what I'm saying is that if you let him invest enough ressources for 12+ unexploited carriers (meaning that you can't constantly lessen their numbers) without being able to finish him, he probably had too big a lead for you to be able to catch up. And he just capitalized that lead as a mass of carriers.

On a side note, you'll definitely see a lot more of those masses now, since the game is still young and no-one knows how to read builds pefectly yet. That means a lot more chances of being caught off guard, but the necessity to scout a whole lot more...

PS: Nice series today LXM^^ we did good with our reapers and roaches

Quote Originally Posted by LXM View Post
    Honestly the Phoenix is the most horrible unit at the moment, I mean what the fuck. Against a Zerg that goes Muta's there hardly anything you can do. Stalkers won't cut it and Phoenixes just get laughed at when the Muta's rape them. I don't see how Muta's can wipe out a large force of phoenixes with out effort. It's nice that they're fast and all but their attack rate should get a big boost for them to be a unit that's worthwhile.
    I've stopped even making any Phoenix at all they're so shitty. The only thing I have found that can counter mass Mutas is a bunch of Stalkers with a Sentry here and there to throw up Guardian Shield which eliminates the last bounce on their attack.

I don't play P, but I play Z and I can tell you that Stalkers with blink can do a decent job against muta since they're just so much more mobile in short distances (in a base basically).
    Sentries are always a great addition obviously.

Actually i've found stalkers so efficient against mutas that I usually prefer to go T1 into hydroach (new word omg? Hydra + Roach!) rather than mutaling.
    (only talking about 1v1 obviously)

I don't think it would be so bad if the phoenix wasn't such a piece of crap.
    What does that have to do with countering carriers, though? Phoenix aren't meant to be good against capital ships.

Need to go Void Rays I'd think. High Templar with Phase Shift could help too. Don't know how that spell affects Intercepters, though.
    Last edited by Aldrius; 02-22-2010 at 05:29 PM.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

LXM's Avatar SC:L Addict

Phoenix = anti-air? Void Rays are never going to work. Carriers have too much HP and microing them away will screw up a Void Ray's damage significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    What does that have to do with countering carriers, though? Phoenix aren't meant to be good against capital ships.

Need to go Void Rays I'd think. High Templar with Phase Shift could help too. Don't know how that spell affects Intercepters, though.
    I tried voids, their damage builds up too slowly to take out that many carriers.

Void Rays are supposed to be good vs Carriers. However, i don't know how much they can realistically stand against Carrier fire. I think they should had taken that into account.

Remember: 1 Mothership can suck half their army in, and cloak other ships. I had used High Templars on ships following an Arbiter. They often go unseen in the rear of your army, and you can unleash some Psi Storms over the unsuspecting enemy fleet. It does really pay off.