Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The great Carrier debacle

Default The great Carrier debacle

Now that beta is upon us, we can see that the Carrier is still using the same model from the PC Gamer preview, except that model texture has gone through many reiterations in texture and shader while the model itself has remained the same polygon wise.

Tempest / Shiny Carrier / New Carrier

While many people are still holding on to the idea of a great carrier looking like this:

What's the verdict? Do you think the carrier needs a remodel? With all the up modelling going on these days (*ahem* Thor *Ahem*) I think Carrier deserves a nice remodelling since the only reason it is in the game is because of fan base nostalgia.

Default Re: The great Carrier debacle

I'd vote for a remodel. In all honesty, I'm fine with the design of the main body. It's the "bridge" -- and it's two little domes -- that bother me the most. I know, sounds nitpicky. =\
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

People love to complain about nonsense.

The carrier builds interceptors faster (and automatically) and does more damage. But people can do nothing but complain that the cargo bay isn't to scale with the interceptors, then start demanding giant changes that have nothing to do with that problem.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Remodel, it still doesn't look solid enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    People love to complain about nonsense.

The carrier builds interceptors faster (and automatically) and does more damage. But people can do nothing but complain that the cargo bay isn't to scale with the interceptors, then start demanding giant changes that have nothing to do with that problem.
    I dunno, a lot of people have complained about the carrier, yet they have done nothing about it. Yet nobody complained about the battlecruiser and it got 4 models.

The battlecruiser didn't get four models because the first one "sucked". It got four models so you could tell the difference between them. The difference was functional. It's apples and oranges.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

No, the battlecruiser got a remodel. Then got 3 extra models to tell the difference.

I vote for a remodel too. It's really those bar things (or w/e how you want to call them) on the side that bug me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    But people can do nothing but complain that the cargo bay isn't to scale with the interceptors
    I lol'd at that. Bcruisers are supposed to hold wraiths, yet wraiths in SC1 were like half the size of a BC (if you don't like that example, we can talk about dropships or marines). Jesus guys, it's an RTS. Things aren't going to be to scale, because it would be harder than hell to control units. Arguing about scale is like arguing about all units not having a limited amount of ammo, because it's not "realistic."

The Carrier should be modeled off how it appeared in StarCraft 1. I can't for the life of me imagine Tassadar crashing the flimsy thing we have now into the Overmind, or the StarCraft: Legacy cinematic having nearly the same impact if they had based their design off the new, recolored Tempest.

With that said, I think the new Interceptors look pretty neat. I wouldn't mind seeing them remodeled as well, but there's only so much you can do with those.