Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I decided t make my own

Default So I decided t make my own

"map idea"... the guy in the forum kinda inspired me..and being bored and all i thought i'd give it a whirl..

keep note i made this in about 30 min.. it's not finalized in any way... and i plan to change anything such as mineral nodes, brush, and actual spacing of the leveled areas. maybe englarge them so eveyrthing is kinda tighter.. but regardless of that... let me know what u think of the general lay out.

its made for a 1v1 map. and snow tile set of course. the middle is a xelnaga watch tower. 2 high yield in each corner beside destructible rocks. brush between the 2 raised sets

Any suggestions to change or add?

UPDATE 1: swapped corner high yield to middle expansions and blocked each ramp with rocks
    UPDATE 2: Added all spawn points.
    UPDATE 3: All corners have expansions and share it with the middle side islands

Last edited by Sydarm; 02-10-2010 at 12:11 AM.
    Starcraft Wire / Incgamers Staff
    http://starcraft.incgamers.com

Default Re: So I decided t make my own

One thing I've never understood with SC maps is why every base has to have a choke point. I played WC3 a lot and got really used to having a base that was out in the open and having a entrance(ramp) was a luxury not every map provided. I'd be interested in seeing more SC2 maps that feature that aspect instead of allowing people to turtle so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Nottoway View Post
    One thing I've never understood with SC maps is why every base has to have a choke point. I played WC3 a lot and got really used to having a base that was out in the open and having a entrance(ramp) was a luxury not every map provided. I'd be interested in seeing more SC2 maps that feature that aspect instead of allowing people to turtle so easily.

You can't really turtle these maps because you mine out your main base quickly requiring natural expansion

After your explanation, I like that map. Let me be a nerd and play this in my mind (also, a question: what was your thinking for the 'flow of the map,' if there was one in mind):

Ok, so I start at my main, and then go to the next 1 ramp normal mineral expansion. If I'm really lucky, I can steal the other 1 ramp normal mineral expansion from my opponent and hunker down and hopefully beat him with only those minerals. If not, I'd try to make a push for the yellow minerals in either corner.

My suggestions as I thought this through: Maybe switch up the yellow minerals and middle blue minerals. The 2 ramps on those middle plateaus will make it harder to defend the more sought after yellow rocks, and the blues can go back on one of the 1 ramp plateaus. Line of sight seems good...maybe more trees?

Seems cools and if it was on live, I'd give it a whirl. I like seeing all sorts of different ideas, so thanks for sharing this!

Funny you say swap the yellow with the middle blues. someone else suggested that on SC2Armory.

I'll do that now! thanks!

EDIT: ok its updated. better you think? i changed the rocks to block the ramps aswell so you can base which way you blow up to get in originally and u can tell if someone is trying to sneak in from the other side.

Also i plan on making side expansions larger
    Last edited by Sydarm; 02-09-2010 at 09:37 PM.

I foresee the use of many Colossi and Reapers concerning the ownership of the two middle expansions.

I would suggest you put debris doodads near the Xel'naga watchtower in order to illustrate this.

I didn't even think of the rocks, but yea, that works even better!

I would try to keep the rocks intact and use a transport to get my worker there, while concentrating on the other expansions first.

Edit: Is this snow terrain, or Twilight?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Archon View Post
    I would try to keep the rocks intact and use a transport to get my worker there, while concentrating on the other expansions first.

Edit: Is this snow terrain, or Twilight?

Could be anything.

But I was thinking snow!

As for your expansion idea, i see it as a good idea. could easily fake out players aslong you maintain xel naga watch

Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
    Could be anything.

But I was thinking snow!

As for your expansion idea, i see it as a good idea. could easily fake out players aslong you maintain xel naga watch
    Seeing that I would probably play as Protoss here, I could use Warp Gates to send Stalkers up there and defend the rocks if they attack. Also, it would probably be my main air base. I love the idea of the map.

Edit: Am I the only one that used the Turret spam tactic in Starcraft 1? Effectively managing to kill an enemy's base with photon turrets as the Protoss.