Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerrigan Pt. 1: Abilities

Default Kerrigan Pt. 1: Abilities

I'm doing a series of posts on Kerrigan related lore over at SC2 armory just for kicks, thought you guys might be interested, here's a copy paste of my post from there. Here's the original thread, if interested.

---------------

I apologize for the delay in this topic, I promised it 2 weeks ago, but Mass Effect 2 has a way of slowing projects down. The purpose of this thread is to offer my own theories as to Kerrigan's abilities, and encourage discussion.

EDIT: I'm splitting this up into 2-3 parts for the sake of my time and how exhausting reading all the parts at once would be, think of it like SC2 campaign becoming a trilogy.

There are two primary aspects to Kerrigan's power, her personal psychic and simple combat strength, and her control of the swarm, how she maintains both at such high levels as she does is something of a mystery, it would put her psychic abilities far beyond that of anything short of virtual demi-gods like Ulrezaj and the Voice to be able to control the Zerg with more effectiveness than the Overmind and still be able to combat such powerful individuals as Tassadar and Zeratul in a straight fight.

My theory is that while the Overmind more directly controlled the individual's in it's armies by a chain of command, which allowed cerebrates actual sentience, albeit a biological need to serve the Overmind, Kerrigan uses a more subtle technique which appeals more to her preferred tactics of manipulation over brute force, instead of controlling every Zerg on the field, she may apply the same technique as the overmind did to the cerebrates to control them, give them higher thought, but a biological need to serve. This would allow her to maintain virtual full individualistic power, but still control the Swarm single-handily.

It should be noted that the types of powers, individualistic and control-oriented are always separate, if they weren't cerebrates would have the ability to fight back, but they clearly lack that talent, point being that if the two types of abilities were interchangeable then cerebrates would probably be remarkably strong individual psychics, instead of having to rely exclusively on their swarms for protection. Therein lies the problem, the ability to control other Zerg is a trait which cerebrates and overlords have, and was given to Kerrigan, but cerebrates, overlords, and even the Overmind itself have control limits, Kerrigan has shown no signs of an inability to manage her armies. It wouldn't make sense for the Overmind to jury-rig a Terran to be able to exceed his own control abilities, if it could do that it could've just added that trait to itself or it's cerebrates. Point being Kerrigan has found away around the control barrier.

We have one sources of insight into how she manages this, from the third book in the Dark Templar saga, Twilight. Take Ethan Stewart. Albeit he may be a skewered example as he wasn't exactly a typical Zerg, but he offers some insight into their psyche. Instead of simply being dedicated to the Swarm he was absolutely dedicated to her. His dialogue made him sound like he was literally in love with her, humorously so. The Overmind and cerebrates relationship seemed much more like that of a simple general and his sub-commanders. This is a virtual personification of Kerrigan vs. the Overmind's polar personalities, you can call it masculine/feminine if you want, the Overmind used simple over-arching strategy and brute force to achieve his goals, Kerrigan, who was working with much smaller resources at the time of her ascension prefers manipulation, it never occurred to the Overmind to play on Raynor's feelings for Kerrigan to use him, but Kerrigan herself certainly did so, I doubt Raynor ever would've sided with her if they hadn't had any knowledge of each other pre-infestation. He would have had no evidence that she was ever trustworthy, and would have just dismissed her. Controlling the Swarm by making them love you is very much her style, it's subtle, efficient, and superior to other methods. Her having the ability to manipulate all Zerg DNA, this seems like the most likely option for her, remaking the Swarm to perfectly suit her, manipulating their DNA to make them adore her, and in doing so remove the need of middle men, giving her complete control. The original Swarm perfectly suited the Overmind in a similar way, it preferred strategy and force, and the Zerg exemplified that in his time.. To summarize, Kerrigan has remade the swarm to suit her, giving her complete control through manipulation rather than brute force.

Kerrigan's personal abilities are far less complex, as a Terran ghost with cybernetic implants to weaken her, she registered a PI of 8, after she was infested and disabled said implants her power levels jumped sharply, she could easily match a Protoss high Templar at this point, as evidenced by her ability to cast psi-storm. It's also worth noting that she maintained cloak, which in theory should've gone with the implants as it was actually terran technology that had allowed her to cloak in the past, meaning her psi-powers may let her bend light like a Dark Templar, considering the Overmind worked off Void Powers she may have been able to make them work for her in the form of Cloak. There haven't been any other major jumps, but in one of the novels she won (or at brought to a draw) a fight with Tassadar and Zeratul simultaneously. That wouldn't be possible from simply removing her implants, meaning she must have further method. Theoretically she could use the other terran which have been infested to improve her own abilities by switching out the genes which effect her psi-powers with the others of any other terran who have been infested. Whether this could be cumulative or she could modify her own without getting any other more powerful psychics is unknown. Psychic powers are genetically based though, and she can rewrite her own gene's meaning she can possibly just keep evolving herself. Finally, she can likely give herself Zerg traits such as improved carapaces and claws and whatnot, even without her psi-powers she'd be a very powerful fighter. Short of Ulrezaj, and the Voice, who she is likely the most powerful individual presently active.

Kerrigan Pt. 2: Agenda next!
    Release date: When it's done.
    Last edited by Roland; 02-11-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    "Youíre an idiot, babe
    Itís a wonder that you still know how to breathe"
    -Robert Zimmerman

Starcraft Lore Timeline and Mysteries.

Default Re: Kerrigan Pt. 1: Abilities

Uh, just to let you know, in Queen of Blades, she beat both Tassadar and Zeratul at the same time.

On her authority over the Swarm: In Queen of Blades, it was stated that she was not designed to control the breeds on an individual basis, but due to extreme circumstances she exerted enough will to directly Mind Control her minions. This -- and the fact that she flits from mind to mind like a spectator in the Dark Templar saga -- gives a level of credence to your theory.

In effect, she groups her units and Attack-Moves them.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

...in one of the novels she won (or at brought to a draw) a fight with Tassadar and Zeratul simultaneously.
    I assume your referring to that sentence, I thought she did, but I didn't want to make absolute statements I wasn't 100% sure of.

On her authority over the Swarm: In Queen of Blades, it was stated that she was not designed to control the breeds on an individual basis, but due to extreme circumstances she exerted enough will to directly Mind Control her minions. This -- and the fact that she flits from mind to mind like a spectator in the Dark Templar saga -- gives a level of credence to your theory.
    I discredited the flitting from mind-to-mind because she was doing it with Zerg who were under the control of Ethan Stewart, if I recall correctly the same rules probably don't apply to them or Ethan would be worthless as a middle-man.
    Last edited by Roland; 02-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    "Youíre an idiot, babe
    -Robert Zimmerman

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Your theory sounds good. I wonder what kind of energies Kerrigan herself uses? She doesn't use void because she couldn't kill the Overmind herself. I wonder where regular Terrans get their energy.

Short of Ulrezaj, and the Voice, who she is likely the most powerful individual presently active.
    The voice isn't really that powerful IMO.

Just because she couldn't kill the Overmind doesn't mean she didn't wield powers of the void. She makes use of psi storms, but has yet to demonstrate the mastery to channel her energies in a manner akin to the protoss -- at least, not that I've seen or read. Being zerg, I think she, by definition, wields Void energies.

... And maybe needing Zeratul was just a plot device. >_>
    Aaand sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Your theory sounds good. I wonder what kind of energies Kerrigan herself uses? She doesn't use void because she couldn't kill the Overmind herself. I wonder where regular Terrans get their energy.

The voice isn't really that powerful IMO.
    I think Terran use something separate from the void, and certainly not the Khala, for obvious reasons. Terran don't have access to Void powers as far as I know, I think you need some level of understanding of the Void to use it, DT don't just train mental discipline that they can apply as Void power they train in how to use Void energies specifically, as they seem to think it's the only alternative to the Khala.

Terran might have something like biotic powers in Mass Effect, which is caused by exposure to certain types of elements (element zero in ME). It gets a certain kind of nodule through-out the biotic's body which when triggered by the bodies natural electrical pulses can create "Mass Effect fields." Mass Effect fields use Dark energy to somehow increase or decrease the total mass of an object. All technology in the game is based off this, and when an individual can create his own mass effect fields the result looks a whole lot like psychic powers.

Point being the original Terran psychics were mutants from genetic experimentation on Earth the gene's must have been present on some level, as technology at the time really wasn't advanced enough to add genes, before the UPL nuclear weapons had become extremely widespread across Earth, even in 3rd world countries, there may have been overwhelming radiation, resulting in mutation, amplified by scientists, then thousands of them got launched across the galaxy in stasis which just amplified the mutations. Terran powers may not use any energy so to speak, instead of needing an outlet like the protoss they might just be able to push their will on the galaxy based on the level of mutation in them.
    "Youíre an idiot, babe
    -Robert Zimmerman

It makes me wonder: what sort of psionics did the protoss use before and during the Aeon of Strife? It wasn't the Khala. Maybe it was the Void? Zeratul refers to the Khala as being an attenuated form of their true power.

And could terrans be similarly categorized in Void and Khala? Well, obviously not Khala...

But if the Khala is an attenuated form, then does it mean it's derived from the Void? Questions, questions... :P
    Aaand sold.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Here's my hypothesis on how it all works:

First, all psionicists use their own energy to do psionic processing. They can also drain heat from their surroundings or maybe even utilize their bioelectricity. Humans use this exclusively, but more powerful psychics can augment their powers with the following:

Khala - takes advantage of the Khalai link and uses the energy of the psionic matrix. The link helps with control and is necessary to actually use the energies of the psionic matrix. The Khala is probably located in Aiur's psionic matrix. The psionic matrix is a bunch of trapped solar ions caught in a planet's magnetic field, as well as anything else floating in the psionic matrix that we don't know about. The energies of the matrix flow through the link.

Void - this is said to be the energy of space itself. That sounds like dark energy/vacuum energy. In reality, those are way to weak to be of any real use, but let's go with it anyway. The thing is though, that when Zeratul fired up his warp blade in Queen of Blades, the room grew colder. My theory is that this has nothing to do with void, and that he was just draining heat from the surroundings like every single psychic does.

It makes me wonder: what sort of psionics did the protoss use before and during the Aeon of Strife? It wasn't the Khala. Maybe it was the Void? Zeratul refers to the Khala as being an attenuated form of their true power.
    Before, I think it was both. Zeratul said that the Khalai powers are diluted, and it is not their true gifts. The presumption behind teaching Tassadar void energies was to give him those gifts. He later says "you have found completeness beyond the scope of the Khala".

During the Aeon of Strife they couldn't use Khala (even with their nerve tendrils, since they didn't have the link). They probably didn't have the discipline/training to use void. I wonder why they didn't make Archons? Or did they?

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I think they used the same energy source as the Khala -- each other. However, all those skills were lost during the Aeon of Strife and afterward, they copied the old ways as best as they could.

(It's sort of like trying to make bread the old way, when you come from a culture that hasn't done so for hundreds of years. You still have the same power source - fire - and tools - an old-fashioned oven, but it's still somewhat different, and you didn't have generations of experienced teachers to train you, either.)

IMO, what Zeratul said about the Void being the "true gift" is propaganda. Of course, he's likely right about the Khala (if only in common sense terms).

Statements made by characters aren't necessarily 100% accurate, but are instead filtered by where the character learned the information from and their own biases. Just watch Zamara, Zeratul and even Duran disagree on things
    Last edited by Kimera757; 02-10-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."