Page 144 of 188 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1871

Thread: StarCraft II Artwork Thread

Default Re: StarCraft II Artwork Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Um, what? I was commenting on the picture, not any wording.
    Heh, talk about flying over one's head. Jokes on you I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    This is why I'm wary of critiquing art, because I can only give subjective rather than objective feedback.
    You shouldn't be. All critiques of art beyond describing what you see (in the case of abstract art, even that simple process can be a bit of a stretch to call objective) are ultimately subjective.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Grad
    Nice, it's got a predator vibe to it, though I wonder what Blizzard's take on Fenix would look like given that they basically re-imagined Protoss faces since SC1.
    Good question. I found some old concept art of Artanis that retained the "tribal markings" you saw in old protoss portraits and used that as a model to go by on the more recent Fenix portrait. I'm sad to see that feature go by the way side.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    I'm wary of critiquing art, but looking at the lower Fenix sketch...sorry, it looks more like a silent than a protoss honestly.
    I can see that, yeah. Especially in the brow structure. I tried to steer clear of the sweeping Zeratul-crest-brow... thing, and modelled it after the SC2 zealot portrait. Didn't do too well though. =\

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    -Again with the silent comment. A comment that was just a quick blurb of a first impression, but apparently, that isn't allowed.
    No, that's totally allowed.

The glowing eyes are a kind of weakness, in that they feel a bit too far back when compared to the ridges.
    Hm, I see what you mean. I was working from this artwork as inspiration for this portrait. And the eyes of a protoss do seem recessed in their new iteration. Moreover, the primary lighting is coming from above, with a secondary, pale blue light from behind. That said, if the impression is that, even with all this, the eyes still seem too recessed, then I'll fix it.

The forehead is a bit of another clincher - it's a bit too smooth IMO
    Yeah I'll be working on that a bit more. I prefer the boniness of the original too.

So yeah. This is why I'm wary of critiquing art
    Pfft, don't be. Thanks for the honest feedback.

So, besides the brows, how can I best differentiate this from the Silence and make it more of a protoss?
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 05-07-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Anyone can criticize, but I always try to offer something constructive. Saying "oh this looks like so and so" without elaborating on why or how to correct it doesn't help the artist improve their work.

Regarding the second protoss, part of why it looks off is the bridge of the face (from the eyes downward to the chin) dips backward with the shadows and foward again with the chin; the shadows there are too dark. By keeping the range of values in that area within the light family it wont be as visually confusing. Now...for the chin to pop out even more like how some protoss use egyptian like decoration there, restrict your brightest highlights for those sort of areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jconant
    part of why it looks off is the bridge of the face (from the eyes downward to the chin) dips backward with the shadows and foward again with the chin
    That's what I was going for. Going by this and this as models, and with Fenix's chin dipped slightly, that's the sort of shadow casting that I'd imagine being produced.

I'm seeing now that the eyes appear to be full-on to the viewer, disrupting any impression of that chin dip though.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Which is ok, but I think you went too dark with the shadows; that whole area would be cast in light, so any shadows present in that dip would be faint, and never as dark as the "dark family" would be.

AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

Attached Images Attached Images
    SC II - HOTS Coming Soon... What to expect? I don't know, I'm busy playing WoL.

I failed a thousand-fold to many enemies, but won a hundred victories over the same enemy. Now he trembles in fear, knowing I am bettering at prevailing. Tremble, enemies of the Code. For I am Legionnaire and you are my enemy. Therefore, today, thou fall! - Imperator Davien Servolo III.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I still can't get over all dat needless ass.

I don't think this has been posted before; it's totally new to me: I found the gallery of another one of the 3D artists who worked on HotS, with some really great images, even though not all of them are Starcraft-related.

An interesting infestor concept, totally different take from Samwise's:

Existor's Avatar Junior Member

A bit more arts here
    http://pr3d.ru/existor/144-swarm-art
    or on deviantart/cghub
    Last edited by Existor; 05-10-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Wow, some of those are awesome.