Page 143 of 188 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1871

Thread: StarCraft II Artwork Thread

Default Re: StarCraft II Artwork Thread

Okay, now I liked this guy's gallery. Making pixeleds out of StarCraft. We could ask Blizzard for a minigame of sorts, even if it's for April Fools. Check his gallery here, on DeviantArt

Source - DeviantArt.
    SC II - HOTS Coming Soon... What to expect? I don't know, I'm busy playing WoL.

I failed a thousand-fold to many enemies, but won a hundred victories over the same enemy. Now he trembles in fear, knowing I am bettering at prevailing. Tremble, enemies of the Code. For I am Legionnaire and you are my enemy. Therefore, today, thou fall! - Imperator Davien Servolo III.

Finally, been waiting for that picture to become a wallpaper.

So I wanted to share a work in progress with you guys. I was supposed to be working on medical illustrations this past weekend, but since a coworker didn't come through on their part I didn't have the reference material I needed. Sooo, protoss portraiture happened.

I painted a portrait of Fenix a while ago, trying to bring his likeness into the newer StarCraft II art style. Here's how that turned out.

And this past weekend I decided to revisit him and worked on a new portrait. It's still a work in progress.

Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

I really like what you did with the first one; they read as tattoos instead of deep crevices of scaly skin. An interesting take on it ever since blizzard revised the anatomy of the protoss head.

You should try to sculpt a protoss head and draw from it as reference.

Hah, thanks. I'd like to sculpt one, but super sculpey and clay cost too much for me right now, and I don't have any skill with them anyways. I'm more of a two-dimensional kinda guy, though I'm trying to relearn 3D.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

A little box of sculpy (the green box) isn't that expensive; you wouldn't have to make a lifesize scale of it. Give me an email and we can talk about it. I wouldn't mind sharing what I know about sculpting.

Since 3D atm doesn't seem accessable to you right now, I'd suggest reading up on perspective. A lot of the features on your Fenix (the first) are rendered beautifully at individual areas, but they don't line up with one another. Parts of the head are 3/4 view while others look more frontal. Whichever point of view you choose to work at, you want to make sure all the parts work in relation to each other.
    Last edited by Jconant; 05-06-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: accidental repost

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Nice, it's got a predator vibe to it, though I wonder what Blizzard's take on Fenix would look like given that they basically re-imagined Protoss faces since SC1. I think they might go with the facial crevices instead of tattoos.

I'm wary of critiquing art, but looking at the lower Fenix sketch...sorry, it looks more like a silent than a protoss honestly. Or at least the bottom one does - it looks like he's wearing silent-esque clothing.

Keep at it by all means though.
    Last edited by Hawki; 05-07-2013 at 04:33 AM.

^ I didn't know certain adjectives looked like aliens or that it's possible for them to look like anything at all... (translation: not everyone is a Whovian, Hawki)
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Um, what? I was commenting on the picture, not any wording. And if Gradius can compare them to yautja, what's wrong with comparing them to another species of alien? By the same argument, not everyone is a Xenopedian.

But of course, only certain comparisons can be drawn apparently, so in addition to the first impressions, I'll say the following:

Sketch 1

-That the head is on an angle, IMO, adds to the drawing. Its lack of symmetry adds a degree of life to it.

-The tribal markings are subtle, woven in with the skin almost. One could argue that the point of a marking is that its noticeable, but of course, other tribal art I've noticed has a certain style that isn't as conspicuous as others (Maori markings come to mind).

-That the eye ridges are further out than the eyes itself...not sure how accurate it is, but that's kind of beside the point. In a way, I think it adds to sketch 1 because of the lack of colour. The arches seem more...natural? The lack of light from the eyes blends in with the overall style of the sketch.

Sketch 2

-Again with the silent comment. A comment that was just a quick blurb of a first impression, but apparently, that isn't allowed. But yes, the shirt the protoss is wearing gives that impression. Or, if it isn't a shirt, I'm afraid it looks like one, especially due to the way the black works its way around the neckline.

-The glowing eyes are a kind of weakness, in that they feel a bit too far back when compared to the ridges. That may be the point I guess - inner power/light and all that. But they feel too far removed from the rest of the facial features.

-The forehead is a bit of another clincher - it's a bit too smooth IMO, especially when compared to sketch 1, which has a bony ridge that sticks out in a good way.

So yeah. This is why I'm wary of critiquing art, because I can only give subjective rather than objective feedback. But both are decent at the end of the day. And like I said in the post above, keep at it.
    Last edited by Hawki; 05-07-2013 at 04:44 AM.