Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lurker Qs

Default Lurker Qs

So I have a question about the Lurker. In BW, when a ton of marines approached the lurker, the lurker would shoot its spines, and the marines would immediately retreat. This made the lurker an excellent deterrent but not incredibly great as an offensive unit (except under dark swarm).

While I was reading the SC2 Wikia I noticed that the lurker no longer has the option to "hold position". Why do you suppose that is?

I feel the lurker would become a much more effective unit if say, it would hold off attack until units were at least close to its "burrowed" point, which would allow maybe 2 hits before they could retreat. Otherwise, if detected and attacked, it would launch its spines right away.

I mean it makes sense for tanks to attack right away because you want them to deter melee units from getting to a position where they can attack the tanks. Also when set in groups, due to the nature of the splash, a tank can damage a multiple units, in the case that one ventures into range.

But with lurkers, without detection, your not so worried about deterrent since they can't see you. You really want it to act more as an effective offensive unit. Rather than a "warning, please get your detectors ready". Also, a group of lurkers don't splash the same way tanks do. You can have several lurkers and they'll auto attack the unit closest to them, which means multiple spines hit the one unit that ventured too far out, leaving any units behind him safe.

Will smart-casting apply to the lurkers? Will they shoot their spines in a way that tries to reach as many units as possible?

Default Re: Lurker Qs

You're reading wrong sources. SC2 lurkers have a hold fire command. SC1 Lurkers has no Hold Position unless you grouped them with another unit that has.
    Last edited by flabortast; 02-04-2010 at 12:49 AM.
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

SC2 lurkers have a hold fire command.
    Do they now? Since when?

I think it's been a long time. I think is was a blue post maybe a year ago?

As of March 2009 the lurker did not have this ability.
    Last edited by moosh; 02-04-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moosh View Post
    As of March 2009 the lurker did not have this ability.
    Where's the source on this? I use SC Wiki and I don't see anything like that in the Lurker page.

It on the main wikia page and it links you to the source. This is the source, just use find search and type in lurker, it'll take you there.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...Id=15859175763
    Last edited by moosh; 02-04-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Well they never said anything about removing it. It just didn't have it to begin with, even the SC1 Lurker. You needed a bug to do it. But from the tone of Karune, they are considering giving it a hold fire command like the Siege Tank. Why not ask this in the January edition of "Ask Blizzard"?

So in conclusion, nothing was really removed from the SC2 Lurker, it just didn't have hold fire from the start. I have a feeling they'll add it in though.

Quote Originally Posted by flabortast View Post
    Well they never said anything about removing it. It just didn't have it to begin with, even the SC1 Lurker. You needed a bug to do it. But from the tone of Karune, they are considering giving it a hold fire command like the Siege Tank. Why not ask this in the January edition of "Ask Blizzard"?

So in conclusion, nothing was really removed from the SC2 Lurker, it just didn't have hold fire from the start. I have a feeling they'll add it in though.
    Do you have any reason to think they'll change their mind? It's not like the bug hadn't been used by the time they created the SC 2 lurker. It will have a different purpose now than in the original.

While I was reading the SC2 Wikia I noticed that the lurker no longer has the option to "hold position". Why do you suppose that is?
    Because hold position micro was a hack. It was the unintended AI consequences of inputting an arbitrary sequence of commands.

Now, as to why they didn't make an official version of hold position micro, it probably has something to do with a combination of the Lurker's damage being greater, range upgrade, and being at Tier 3. The Lurker is more than a trap unit now, so it doesn't rely on surprise as much.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog