Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft Ghost Acadamy Volume 1

Default Starcraft Ghost Acadamy Volume 1

I'm starting this thread because I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about this manga. I found myself enjoying the Frontline series by the end of its run and I'm hoping this new series lives up to what Frontline started. But I have my doubts, given by the promotional material Iíve seen so far.

My copy should be arriving either later this week or early next week, but I'd like to hear some preliminary thoughts. Assuming someone has already picked it up of course.

I'll be adding my own review once I get the chance.

Default Re: Starcraft Ghost Acadamy Volume 1

I picked it up six days ago.

Good news: There's interesting stuff going on at the Ghost Academy. I also really liked Aal Cistler's character arc. And Sarco Angelini is pretty evil, which reminds me that I need to buy a scanner.

Bad news, there was really nothing interesting about Gabriel Tosh, and the hijacking was just a training scenario.

I'm not putting the synopsis up on the wiki until Wednesday, as I found out from the author that comic book stores won't be selling it until then (eight days late!). Character information is available, though.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Ordered mine during the weekend (along with Avatar The Movie Scrapbook ).

I'm still a bit iffy about the art style. And I remember when reading the initial summery, there was a particular line that had me thinking "oh no, sounds like 90210 in space".
    Thankfully, that summery has been changed a while ago.

And reguarding Tosh: that's kinda disappointing to hear about Kimera - Although I get the impression that anything interesting is being saved up for the StarCraft Ghost: Spectres novel.
    Starcraft universe fan: Singleplayer and novels

Spectres has a new author now. (I didn't believe it at first; I emailed the new author. I'm waiting for KRAD to put up an Irons in the Fire post on his blog to ask him about it too.) I'm thinking it'll be delayed until after StarCraft II comes out.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Didn't they say the same thing for Graham McNeil's next book? I think he wanted to write another after I,Mengsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Spectres has a new author now. (I didn't believe it at first; I emailed the new author. I'm waiting for KRAD to put up an Irons in the Fire post on his blog to ask him about it too.) I'm thinking it'll be delayed until after StarCraft II comes out.
    Wait, what? How is that possible, I thought Spectres was almost finished by now? Who's the new author? Why did they change authors in the first place? Will he be writing the entire thing all over again?

That's one odd move, to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by l33telboi View Post
    Wait, what? How is that possible, I thought Spectres was almost finished by now? Who's the new author? Why did they change authors in the first place? Will he be writing the entire thing all over again?

That's one odd move, to be sure.
    KRAD had finished Spectres. I suspect it'll have the same treatment as Beyond the Dark Portal. (Aaron Rosenberg wrote Dark Portal's first draft, then Christie Golden put her mark on it.) But I don't know for sure.

It's to be written by Nate Kenyon. I hadn't heard of him before; he mostly writes modern supernatural horror.

Oh...new author - I was kinda wondering why the release date suddenly got kicked so far back. :-/
    Haven't heard of the new guy either, I just hope he keeps a certain consistency.

*EDIT*

My copy arrived earlier today, just finished a relatively quick readthrough - And I'll have to admit as a Novafan, I really enjoyed it.
    With the exception of the artstyle, which gives certain characters more wrinkles in their facial features than a 100+ year old person.
    A specific art issue that struck me: Look at senator Phash's closeup on the first few pages, then compare to Sarco, page 45 upper right corner.

Some of the things I liked: (Spoilers)

I'm glad to see things that I loved about SC:Ghost:Nova continue or expanded in manga, both in reguards to her kind personality and the things like the flashback sequences. Although it missed her brother, with whom she had a very good relationship.

Delta was really sweet, almost to the point of being funny.
    I also liked the friendship that the characters developed over time - Alothough this is why I missed the mention of her brother, since Tosh as the teamleader seemed to kinda become the brotherly figure who took care of her.

The ending definately has me looking forward to the next issue;
    ē Nova starting to doubt her wish for the mindwipe
    ē Lio still scoring low, while they know about his drugaddiction (creepy overdose scene btw)

Last edited by PhanttoM; 01-12-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spoiler tags removed

Ok, it finally arrived and I read it. Overall it was better then I expected.

In regards to the artwork I'll probably never really get used to the manga-style, but at least it isn't overly manga-esque, and most of the actual gear and vehicles look the way they're supposed too. The faces were weird at times, but I can live with that.

Characters? So far we've only really been introduced to team blue, but there have been a few smaller personalities here and there that will probably be fleshed out in the future. Nova is the same Nova as we saw in the novel, highly independent at first, but learns to work with others later on (reminds me a little too much of Master Chief's story from The Fall of Reach, though). Tosh is the typical older brother, and seems to have his feet firmly rooted to the ground, which is rather different from the person heíll ultimately become. Lio was actually kinda likable, with the quirky and odd way he spoke, like someone with ADHD (or is it ADD where you people live?). His drug addiction as well as his ability to control machines and computers was a nice addition to his character. I think Kath is the only one that's not really established yet. She seems kinda like a token black chick. She did have some interaction with Aal, though. Not sure about Aal, I was under the impression he was going to be a major character, but he seems to have been booted out already. Again, I'll conclude by saying itís better then I expected and actually enjoyable. Nothing truly stellar though.

Storywise there was an interesting dynamic going on. The story switched between character moments and training exercises. And I must say I enjoyed the exercises, they truly demonstrates what it is to become a Ghost. Especially the maze bit. Navigating through a dark maze while lasers and miniguns shoot at you, and robots attack you Ė it canít be easy. The 'capture the dropship' simulation was fun too.

The only continuity problem I spotted was when they introduced the rifles they were using as C-10s? What? That thing has nothing in common with what a C-10 is supposed to be. A 25 mm canister rifle would not look and feel like an assault rifle. And Aal holding up a normal bullet was worthy of a face-palm. Oh well, maybe those are the blanks these weapons fire on training simulations. Previous novels have indicated they fire a variety of projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by l33telboi View Post

I think Kath is the only one that's not really established yet. She seems kinda like a token black chick.
    More spoilers:
    I kinda got the feeling that Kath was introduced as a girlfriend type of character that Nova gets to hang around with - Especially since Nova can relate to her, knowing what it's like to be with your "fellow rich and stupid" as she said in a scene.

How did you guys interpret the short-term memory wipe scene, where sarco fades into some creepy looking guy? Cause I'll have to admit, I'm still not sure exactly what it was meant as.
    Sarco did talk about having the same power as them, which could mean it was a doped up version of himself, but it just doesn't look like him.

Anyway, one thing that I didn't like was the excessive "TEAMWORK!" theme...you know the kind where they (characters included) state the obvious as moral lessons to kids.