Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Dynamic Roofing of Buildings

Default Suggestion: Dynamic Roofing of Buildings

I'm sure it's too late in the cycle to pull this off... but I was thinking about having some buildings have dynamic roofing that fades as you go into and out of it. I know a lot of UMS maps in Starcraft 'fake' buildings by teleporting you to a separate portion of the map for buildings... It'd be interesting to have a building that has the ceiling fade to transparent as you enter the building and exit it.

Combine this with the new physics of the game and you can have some enjoyable situations of building to building play or emulating some good qualities for RPGs such as shops.

Not needed for the game, but it's use could be a very solid tool for the development community.

Default Re: Suggestion: Dynamic Roofing of Buildings

No building model is big enough to just "fade out" its roof and contain a viable interior space for units to move in. This seems a bit ridiculous and will not work.

DoomFish's Avatar Junior Member

Actually that should already be possible, if you really want to do it.
    Just create the terrain of which the building consists and then add doodads which are platings floating in the height of the roof and make a roof that way.
    Then, if a unit walks in just make all the doodads transparent by trigger.
    Should even be already possible in Warcraft 3 (didn't look it up, though).
    The Starcraft 2 Editor will be able to to it.

Rizhall's Avatar Junior Member

The real question is, will you be able to put units on top of building's "roofs"?

DoomFish's Avatar Junior Member

haha, that's even easier...
    if the building is a unit I don't know how you'd want it to look,
    but if it consist of terrain and doodads you could just make the unit 'fly' when it enters some kind of stairs. Then you'd place some flying units blockers at the roof's borders. Done.
    There's even a better way, using some kind of pathing or something. It's already in Warcraft, but I never paid much attention to that. But I think that's the way you build bridges and elevators.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

I wouldnt like a building

probably a sub-tileset of instalation that can be applied to any tileset. this way map makers can fix the amount of space they can dedicate to their "buildings"

If two units are in the same place but one a floor above the other, can you still see the floor? It would also be neat to attack the floor and fall through, of have vehicles fall through because they're too heavy.

Considering everything in StarCraft is so out of proportion, plus it would overlap with garrison buildings (bunkers), this feature seems really useless and tedious to implement.

As far as the modding community ... ehhh, mods can give marines squirt guns for all I care.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Some people are forgetting the fact that you can scale every unit in Starcraft. Make a barracks as big as 1/4 the map if you want.

This is the reason we have installation terrain, because it's impossible to put the two maps together in such a way.