Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Boxer On eSportsí Past and Future

Default Re: Boxer On eSportsí Past and Future

I'm kinda surprised nobody noticed this before.

OPT doesn't guarantee victory. Look at the Tic-Tac-Toe equivalent. The worst-case is a tie, when is what you get when the second player takes their best move. We already know what OPT is for StarCraft: a turtling douchebag.

It's actually trying to win that gets you killed.

Oh well. Nevermind.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post

OPT doesn't guarantee victory. Look at the Tic-Tac-Toe equivalent. The worst-case is a tie, when is what you get when the second player takes their best move. We already know what OPT is for StarCraft: a turtling douchebag.

Oh well. Nevermind.
    Not really :/, turtles always lose in the long run, its just annoying.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Not really :/, turtles always lose in the long run, its just annoying.
    Yeah, turtling never works in Starcraft unless the map is already mined out and you're turtling in the last base with resources Ex: Firebathero vs Savior.

I don't turtle.

I tortoise.

You guys can bicker about whether video or replays are the same, but honestly, Boxer has a point. He may be a little biased in that regard, seeing that he's an old timer and all, but he's still got a point.

I think what's more important is how there's not enough fan service to attract the fans to games. I mean, that's what made franchises like the Lakers a big deal in the first place. At some point, owners of sports teams realize that they are really in the entertainment business and not even in a sports business. They figure out that they are selling entertainment... so they turn around and realize they should have Lakers girls, replays (not starcraft replays mind you,) food, fancy stadiums, etc. If Boxer is right and they actually don't even sell food at their events... well that's just hilarious and pathetic when you think about it.

But that's the asian culture and the asian mentiality for you. They think in much different ways than Americans and Europeans. Sure, they can be more intelligent and progressive in some facets of life, but when it comes to things like this, it makes you wonder why they can't make simple leaps of logic and provide more services in industries like this to increase or manage their income two-fold.

Well, just throwing this out there, but some games that had replays, only showed replays from the individual player's view. You couldn't break down your opponents strategy beyond what you scouted, and you couldn't see things like his resources or unit count or things like that.

I wonder if that's the kind of replay system boxer would want.

....but VODS would still ruin this. VODS are pretty easy to breakdown the general strategies.

I like Boxer, but I think complaining about replays is bullshit. Even IF he had a point, the enjoyment derived from watching replays far outweighs any negative effects.

Operatoring's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post

Oh well. Nevermind.
    Turtling gets you killed in 99/100 SC1 games. The only time it is viable on the pro scene is at the end of the game when Minerals are scarce and the Terran sieges up and doesn't move.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKiller View Post
    Well, just throwing this out there, but some games that had replays, only showed replays from the individual player's view. You couldn't break down your opponents strategy beyond what you scouted, and you couldn't see things like his resources or unit count or things like that.

I wonder if that's the kind of replay system boxer would want.

....but VODS would still ruin this. VODS are pretty easy to breakdown the general strategies.
    I would 100% support this, but people could always dissect the replays and extract build orders from that.