• Gameplay first.

9 14.29%
  • Art first.

34 53.97%
  • Other; please specify.

3 4.76%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Should Heroes Look Different?

Default Re: Should Heroes Look Different?

You know it's interesting now that I think about it that we still haven't gotten any info really on heroes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."

I voted Art. In some cases, a slightly bigger model would be nice to distinguish heroes from regular units. In the case of the Hyperion, or other air-based heroes, they can be slightly bigger without taking anything away from the game. But I'm wary of ground-based hero units being bigger, simply because I don't want my regular marines to slip through a gap and have my larger Tychus marine get stuck or left behind. Do we remember how annoying it was to try and get our goliaths or dragoons up the walkways in the installation missions? That's why I voted Art. Yes, bigger units may be fine in some ways, but overall, you don't want to lose some of the basic uses of a regular unit with the hero unit.
    Last edited by Zero; 11-24-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    [CENTER]

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

The Hyperion in campaign so far already looks much bigger than a regular battlecruiser.

The choice should obviously be C, and that's also (unsurprisingly) the most costly option for Blizzards.

What do you expect from fanboys?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I'm wary of ground-based hero units being bigger, simply because I don't want my regular marines to slip through a gap and have my larger Tychus marine get stuck or left behind. Do we remember how annoying it was to try and get our goliaths or dragoons up the walkways in the installation missions?
    That's because pathing sucked, should be a lot better now, no matter the size.

I voted to keep things sensible. 'Heroes' ought to be distinguishable on first glance from normal units, for a variety of reasons, but it should not be over-the-top. One of the reasons I never got into WoW was because the art was just way out there, guys running around in oversized shoulder pads that would make defensive linemen wince, carrying around axes so large it's a wonder the person didn't tip over and fall from the weight. That kind of silliness has no business being in SC2.

So the Hyperion shouldn't glow or look twice as large as other Battlecruisers of the same class, but it should have markings to make it look different; i.e. a different coat of paint, battle-scarring, extra pieces added on over the years. Tycus should be so large he gets mistaken for a Goliath, but his armor should have different coloration, decals, war trophies, etc. to distinguish him from other Marines.
    Superior capability in language does not necessarily equate to superior intelligence...but it certainly doesn't help your argument if you sound stupid.

I think an issue here is the fact that if we go for the realistic option we're going to struggle with some of the heroes (Raynor/Findlay Marines), but not others (Hyperion BC).

Quote Originally Posted by MattII View Post
    I think an issue here is the fact that if we go for the realistic option we're going to struggle with some of the heroes (Raynor/Findlay Marines), but not others (Hyperion BC).
    Like we said, there's enough coloring on Tychus and Raynor to make them easily visible (Indeed, in campaign, I'm wondering if it's possible for Marines to spawn with varying shades of color...)

If not, handing them different weapons will do the trick.

They shouldn't be way bigger or anything, however just a slightly different model will do.

But if they want to go all out, I can care less more models for the map makers.
    "No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other."
    Be sure to check out the best #$*&#$ video game show ever Epileptic Gaming and the lastest episode on youtube NOW IN HD
    - Oh its a egg I wonder whats inside! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    The Hyperion in campaign so far already looks much bigger than a regular battlecruiser.
    When and where was this? The Hyperion hasn't been shown in the multiplayer, and not even the July press event demo showed any regular battlecruisers in the single-player campaign. I don't know how you can make a comparison, especially since the only time you see the Hyperion is during the rescue cinematic in the escape from Mar Sara.
    [CENTER]