Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Revamping the Dark Pylon

  1. #1

    Default Revamping the Dark Pylon

    EDIT - idea is imba, you can ignore if you want.

    Dark Pylon
    Cost: 200 Minerals
    HP: 75/100
    Energy: 200 (250 max)

    Abilities:
    Neutron Field - (150 Innitial Energy) - Creates a field that gathers 1 mineral from each mineral field per 1 or 2 energy. The field would be large enough to capture about half of your mineral fields. The ability doesn't stack.

    Rejuvinate - (125 Energy) Completly heals (hp, energy, shield, effects) all units within a small area (almost psi storm sized). Can also target a single building. Dark Pylon loses its own shield.

    Create Power Field - (100 Energy) Adds a power field and 8 psi to the Dark Pylon. It acts the same as a normal pylon, but if an ability is casted, this will be disabled, but can be reacivated later. Doesnt drain energy by the way.
    (Edit: lets say its not disabled, just for the sake of it being used).

    Blink - (Cooldown) It acts the same as the Stalkers Blink. It makes the Blink a more universal ability like cloak is to the terrans, and whats cool is it allows Dark Pylons that you were using previously for Neutron Field to go into combat.

    I realise these abilities could be imbalenced, I just want an opinion on the idea, not the numbers or side effects.

    EDIT: I edited a few thing. I nerfed Neutron field and rose DP's cost to 200.
    Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 05-14-2009 at 05:52 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

    Not bad.

    Not bad at all. Thoughts people?


    It seems like this DP has the potential to be a Mini-Base.


    The big problem is that pylon power isnt as good as extra mining or healing. I think we should work on that third ability.
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 05-12-2009 at 06:19 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    Not bad.

    Not bad at all. Thoughts people?


    It seems like this DP has the potential to be a Mini-Base.


    The big problem is that pylon power isnt as good as extra mining or healing. I think we should work on that third ability.
    Ok, what if I said once you casted the power field, it will never disable UNLESS you blink. And Ill lower its cost to say... 75?

    Either that or I leave the cost (maybe raise it), but make it permanent?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

    How about we make an ability thats as useful as extra minerals or healing?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,102

    Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

    Now I know why they call you Crazy, it's because you are. Seriously, none of these ideas are any good, Neuron Field messes around with resource gathering, which isn't good, Rejuvinate is too powerful (energy and effects shouldn't be touched), Power Field is difficult to understand (does it affect blink and other non-energy abilities?), and giving a building Blink is absolutely awful.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    How about we make an ability thats as useful as extra minerals or healing?
    Well, I just think it overpowers the dark pylon to just give it a power field off the bat. Creating a powerfield would be really effective if you use it with blink, and decide not to tech to phase prism right away. It makes the building more flexible, it doesnt have to rival the other abilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattII View Post
    Now I know why they call you Crazy, it's because you are. Seriously, none of these ideas are any good, Neuron Field messes around with resource gathering, which isn't good, Rejuvinate is too powerful (energy and effects shouldn't be touched), Power Field is difficult to understand (does it affect blink and other non-energy abilities?), and giving a building Blink is absolutely awful.

    Wow, no one around here actually calls me that (Im actually one of the sensible people) but thanks anyway. First of all, if your completly against the whole idea of extra resource gathering, dont even bother, because I support the idea. The Rejuvination suggestion is ok, this isnt meant to be perfect, just an basic idea. And whats difficult to understand about powerfield? Look, I edited my first post, because Im open minded to the idea my ideas are probably imbalenced, but you make it sound like I did something HORRIBLE.
    Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 05-12-2009 at 06:35 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

    Quote Originally Posted by MattII View Post
    Now I know why they call you Crazy, it's because you are. Seriously, none of these ideas are any good, Neuron Field messes around with resource gathering, which isn't good, Rejuvinate is too powerful (energy and effects shouldn't be touched), Power Field is difficult to understand (does it affect blink and other non-energy abilities?), and giving a building Blink is absolutely awful.


    And you base all that on....what?



    A) Spells that "mess" around with resource gathering are ok (see MULE)
    B) Spells that "touch" energy are not too powerful (see Argus Link)


    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Jonny View Post
    Well, I just think it overpowers the dark pylon to just give it a power field off the bat. Creating a powerfield would be really effective if you use it with blink, and decide not to tech to phase prism right away. It makes the building more flexible, it doesnt have to rival the other abilities.

    Powerfields arnt that powerful. They allow you to Warp-In units and warp-in buildings. Niether is game breaking. And whats a Pylon without a Pylon field? The blink ability on a pylon does overlap with the Warp-Prism so I see your point there.
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 05-12-2009 at 06:33 PM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,102

    Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Jonny View Post
    First of all, if your completly against the whole idea of extra resource gathering, dont even bother, because I support the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    A) Spells that "mess" around with resource gathering are ok (see MULE)
    Okay, let me put it like this, Proton Charge is okay (I don't like it, but I can live with it), because it only modifies the Probes, and Mules are okay because they're units. What I have problem with is the DP itself gathering resources. At this, and not to seem like just a naysayer, I'll put forward my own idea, and that is that the DP warps the minerals selected Probes have collected straight back to the Nexus, leaving the Probes free to collect another load. Energy costs would be 2 ep/load (I've yet to decide if I'd raise it for golden patches).

    B) Spells that "touch" energy are not too powerful (see Argus Link)
    Argus Link transfers energy from the DP to the target, it's not actually a spell (no fixed cost), whereas Rejuvinate is, which essentially means that it could create out more energy than it costs.

    And whats difficult to understand about powerfield?
    Because saying "if an ability is casted, this will be disabled" isn't enough of an explanation. Does it affect Blink, Cloak (Ghost's, Banshee's, not DT's) or Charge, what about Stim Pack or Hardened Shields?

    Look, I edited my first post, because Im open minded to the idea my ideas are probably imbalenced, but you make it sound like I did something HORRIBLE.
    Personally I think some of the abilities 'are' fairly horrific, although that might not be the concensus.
    Last edited by MattII; 05-12-2009 at 07:08 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

    Quote Originally Posted by MattII View Post
    Okay, let me put it like this, Proton Charge is okay (I don't like it, but I can live with it), because it only modifies the Probes, and Mules are okay because they're units. What I have problem with is the DP itself gathering resources. At this, and not to seem like just a naysayer, I'll put forward my own idea, and that is that the DP warps the minerals selected Probes have collected straight back to the Nexus, leaving the Probes free to collect another load. Energy costs would be 2 ep/load (I've yet to decide if I'd raise it for golden patches).
    I thought this would be cool for racial deversity. What I do feel strongly about is adding blink to the DP. Heck, youre already able to cloak buildings so why not make a stretch. As far as your idea, well, its not bad, but really doesnt differ alot from Photon charge.

    Because saying "if an ability is casted, this will be disabled" isn't enough of an explanation. Does it affect Blink, Cloak (Ghost's, Banshee's, not DT's) or Charge, what about Stim Pack or Hardened Shields?
    Well, I meant any ability at all. But really, I'll admit it was a bit unessesary.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,102

    Default Re: Revamping the Dark Pylon

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Jonny View Post
    As far as your idea, well, its not bad, but really doesnt differ alot from Photon charge.
    Proton Charge increases the resources the Probes carry, so no, my idea isn't anything like that, if fact it's closer to yours, except that in my idea it's the Probes mining whereas in your it's the DP itself.

    Well, I meant any ability at all. But really, I'll admit it was a bit unessesary.
    So what, Stim Packs are going to be disabled then? The same for D8?

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Energy Competitor for Dark Pylon
    By mr. peasant in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 02:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •