Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft bought Acti-Blizz

Default Re: Microsoft bought Acti-Blizz

I wouldn't mind a story set within the timeline of Sc1 but focusing on other characters/events. I don't really care for stories that are designed (or rather "manufactured") specifically to be canonical, sequential (sequal/prequel), monolithic and epic arcs. A well written story about a single nobody can be felt as being just as epic as any other actual galaxy shattering event in the hands of a good writer.
    Agreed, just like they did with Rogue One, that'd be great. I could see myself being invested in a story like that. Anything revolving around Valerian, Zagara, Alarak and company though... not so much. Though I must admit I had hope for the mini Nova campaign after the first 3-4 missions. I felt like it had a bit of the old SC vibe so maybe just maybe they could make it interesting.

Rogue one was a good film, though I still have to read the novelization of it, maybe to see if there were other views that the films didn't state. If they could put something like that into the game, it'd make things better.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Did you hear any response back from them?
    Lol, no, of course not.

I will say, I miss the fandom. It was...something else, but those were fun times.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Indeed, it's a shame.

Sorry for the late reply, I don't really keep up with this forum anymore. I'm on Nral's discord if anyone wants to get in touch with me.

Yeah, I don't care anymore because I think this lore is permanently ruined and it was never actually as good as we thought it was when we were children. I've gone over the scripts multiple times, read ancient interviews about the design process... Metzen has always been a mediocre writer and he made it up as he went with no plan and no regard for consistency. Good riddance.

I've moved on to Immortal: Gates of Pyre. Not only is it written by former SC2 modders, but they also care enough to devise a coherent lore with detailed civilizations from the start. They have a plan in mind. They aren't going to suddenly change their minds midway and demolish the civs to prop up a badly written girlfriend insert. jfc I wish it hadn't taken two decades and a half to get this far. This is like bare minimum quality writing.

Blizzard and their crappy writing can go die in a fire. If I want decent scifi about space marines fighting space bugs fighting jedi elves, then I'll write it myself. I actually am writing something along those lines, but god am I resentful of Metzen for botching it the first time and I'm so burned out on all these franchises self-destructing that I've got major writer's block.

Another one of your rants about how crappy everything is. Not listening to this, Mislag....

Immortal: Gates of Pyre
    Unfortunately I think this game will be pretty much dead on arrival. The universe is crafted with made-up terms all over the place and is weak visually. There's really no hook to any of it. That and trying to position yourself among the very niche RTS pro-league is probably suicide. There's not a lot of new blood in that scene and the old ones don't want to play new things. They just want to stick with BW or SC2 or AOE2 or COH2 or WC3. I think the only company that could make it work would be Riot. Otherwise they gotta step up their juice and probably also change the gameplay completely. Traditional RTS is kinda dead. It's too much for people. Need something slower pace that separate battles from city management. That way you can at least also maybe embark the "grand strategy" type of players (people that play Heart of Iron, civ, Total war, whatever). It's a bigger and more stable pool of players. That's my take anyways. I hope for them they prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Unfortunately I think this game will be pretty much dead on arrival. The universe is crafted with made-up terms all over the place and is weak visually. There's really no hook to any of it. That and trying to position yourself among the very niche RTS pro-league is probably suicide. There's not a lot of new blood in that scene and the old ones don't want to play new things. They just want to stick with BW or SC2 or AOE2 or COH2 or WC3. I think the only company that could make it work would be Riot. Otherwise they gotta step up their juice and probably also change the gameplay completely. Traditional RTS is kinda dead. It's too much for people. Need something slower pace that separate battles from city management. That way you can at least also maybe embark the "grand strategy" type of players (people that play Heart of Iron, civ, Total war, whatever). It's a bigger and more stable pool of players. That's my take anyways. I hope for them they prove me wrong.
    You should join the discord. The devs are nice people and would probably be happy to discuss your concerns.

As I understand it, their monetization scheme is going to rely on free-to-play. Skirmish and multiplayer will be free, with DLC in the form of skins, commanders, and mission packs. They'll launch with 5 factions, with another 10 planned to be released over the next decade. It won't come out of the box with a complete toolset, but they plan to add one later as funding permits. The worldbuilding is fairly detailed and the factions are very diverse culturally, psychologically, and biologically, so it provides solid material for custom campaign makers to use.