Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blizzard posted a summary of the Starcraft plot

Default Re: Blizzard posted a summary of the Starcraft plot

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Maybe bring in the UED earlier and depict them as more heroic than the space nazis they're supposedly supposed to be (but are never actually shown to be). Maybe they arrived instead to damper the volatile politics of Koprulu because it endangers the bottom line? We can ignore the whole lost colony bit because was retconned in nonsense anyway, since even Blizz seems to forget it.
    Just cos we're spitballing here, how about the idea of doing away with K-sector Terrans altogether - just have the UED and the K-sector Terran factions just be a part/faction of the UED? Or, if you must have that element of "lone weak humans amidst two powerful alien races" thing, maybe have the K-sector Terrans be eventually and completely obliterated and the UED just replace/sub-in for the Terran presence? It would do away with the issue of Terrans being traditionally seen as weak/incapable of going toe-to-toe with the other two without too much artifice. Even if the UED do come later in the picture, we could explain their more highly advanced/powerful presence due to time dilation effects of the K-sector Terrans maybe?

The UED are depicted as fascistic largely due to their origins. The UPL were successful fascists in that time and so it's a logical extension from that I suppose. Besides, not all fascistic societies have to depicted as the "evil Nazi" stereotype where they do out-and-out "evil things". Just look at the Starship Troopers film, it's a satire of fascism (often mistaken as a celebration) and how "attractive" it can be.
    Last edited by Turalyon; 07-01-2020 at 02:22 AM.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Just cos we're spitballing here, how about the idea of doing away with K-sector Terrans altogether - just have the UED and the K-sector Terran factions just be a part/faction of the UED?
    That was actually the case back in the 1996 pitch for the story.

Or, if you must have that element of "lone weak humans amidst two powerful alien races" thing, maybe have the K-sector Terrans be eventually and completely obliterated and the UED just replace/sub-in for the Terran presence? It would do away with the issue of Terrans being traditionally seen as weak/incapable of going toe-to-toe with the other two without too much artifice.
    Alternately, maybe the terrans present greater challenge than the zerg and protoss expected. If you're willing to diverge even further from the already flimsy canon, then you could posit that psychic powers are about as expansive as they are in Dungeons & Dragons. In other words, x-men.

Oh, and cyberpunk shenanigans too. You once suggested the zerg could learn from non-biological sciences.

Even if the UED do come later in the picture, we could explain their more highly advanced/powerful presence due to time dilation effects of the K-sector Terrans maybe?
    Alternately, maybe they don't have arbitrarily infinite capabilities? One of the plots that Blizz writers pitched for SC2 was that the zerg would destroy Earth, which wouldn't work if the UED was so powerful. Not that Blizz can ever stay consistent, but rarely they make decisions that aren't bad.

The UED are depicted as fascistic largely due to their origins. The UPL were successful fascists in that time and so it's a logical extension from that I suppose. Besides, not all fascistic societies have to depicted as the "evil Nazi" stereotype where they do out-and-out "evil things". Just look at the Starship Troopers film, it's a satire of fascism (often mistaken as a celebration) and how "attractive" it can be.
    Yes, but BW tried to have us believe they still practiced their technophobic eugenics when they clearly don't. Not to mention that Blizz has retconned so much that I doubt the manual backstory is remotely accurate anymore.

We can jettison the backstory about the UPL being nazis and the ATLAS being refugees. I don't think it's necessary.

I think that we can work with Koprulu being a deliberate founding by the human stellar nations, with their diverse local nations being a result of a decentralized governing system. Earth only cares about getting the rich mineral resources of Koprulu, not who actually does the mining. At least until whatever the Confederacy or whoever did that resulted in the UED fleet going to Koprulu, justifiably or not.

Or something like that. I'm tired at the moment. Good day.

That was actually the case back in the 1996 pitch for the story.

Alternately, maybe the terrans present greater challenge than the zerg and protoss expected.
    I'll take that as an approval of the idea? The Terrans need to be scaled up big time in order to pose any challenge to the Protoss and Zerg or to "realistically" maintain a three-way for any period of time greater than a few months.

If you're willing to diverge even further from the already flimsy canon, then you could posit that psychic powers are about as expansive as they are in Dungeons & Dragons. In other words, x-men.

Oh, and cyberpunk shenanigans too. You once suggested the zerg could learn from non-biological sciences.
    Sure, why not? I don't mind, it's your fanfiction.

Alternately, maybe they don't have arbitrarily infinite capabilities?
    Eh, the Protoss have the capacity for arbitrarily infinite capabilities already and the Zerg are arbitrarily powerful, so why not the case for the Terrans?

Yes, but BW tried to have us believe they still practiced their technophobic eugenics when they clearly don't.
    I don't exactly recall where this in particular was evident in BW, but ok?

I think that we can work with Koprulu being a deliberate founding by the human stellar nations, with their diverse local nations being a result of a decentralized governing system. Earth only cares about getting the rich mineral resources of Koprulu, not who actually does the mining. At least until whatever the Confederacy or whoever did that resulted in the UED fleet going to Koprulu, justifiably or not.
    It's serviceable I suppose but the Terrans here seem to lack a bit of "pizazz" with this background.

The UED secretly spying on Koprulu for centuries is a silly retcon. You might as well say that Earth and Koprulu reestablished contact after the nazis were overthrown and engaged in trade.

^ Well, given that my suggestion essentially nullifies the need for the "UED" (or rather more precisely referred to as "Earth/Greater Terran presence") to spy on the K-sector Terrans because they were all the same to begin with, that shouldn't be problem.

Anyway, do we have any suggestions for specific plots?