Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard posted a summary of the Starcraft plot

Default Blizzard posted a summary of the Starcraft plot

Back in April!

It succinctly explains the plot, including retcons.

https://starcraft2.com/en-us/news/23331587

Default Re: Blizzard posted a summary of the Starcraft plot

I wonder why the Xel'Naga just went into hibernation after dealing with Amon. They got trashed by nascent Zerg and just decide it's a good idea to leave them alone to ravage the galaxy (and potentially themselves in the long-term) while they go hibernate?

Also, why would Amon imbue any race with purity of form and essence when it's part of continuing the Xel'naga cycle and the very thing he supposedly wants to break?

It's interesting that they also chose to omit any reference to the Overmind being a slave/pawn to Amon.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

The story recaps typically omit nonsensical events and generally reinterpret the story to make more sense than it actually does. For example, the recap from the old SC2 site and WoL manual entirely omitted the fact that Kerrigan had ridiculous plot armor in BW. Blizz is certainly retconning the events of the games because thatís what they do: just look at WC.

The statement on genre is wrong. SC is not military or horror. Itís space opera, and really schlocky at that. I donít think RTS is a good fit for genres besides military by its very nature. I really would have preferred if SC was military scifi rather than trying and failing to be space opera. Despite what nostalgia goggles might have people believe, the story isnít any good.

I have yet to find any RTS story that is good. Although I have a preference for the Westwood RTS games because they knew they were b-movie fodder and embraced that. If I had to choose between bad plots, I prefer WWís writing over Metzenís. If nothing else, then WW wrote their playable sides as cultures with agency that the player can invest in... whereas Metzen obviously didnít give a crap about anything outside the main characters.

But the recap regarding the distant past seems inconsistent within itself. It describes the cycle requiring purity of form and essence and that Amon wants to stop the cycle only to then say Amon gave purity of form to the Protoss and purity of essence to the Zerg.

There are a few RTS that have decent stories: Homeworld and World in Conflict come to mind. Universe at War's story is pretty decent. Some lesser known and old RTS's like Battle Realms and Ground Control weren't too shabby with their stories either. Age of Mythology and Rise of Legends don't necessarily have great stories but they utilise their fictional worlds in their stories interestingly. Although not exactly an RTS, Sacrifice (written by James Phinney) is pretty well written. Compared to those, Starcraft's ain't that bad.

As for Westwood RTS's, I preferred the original C&C and Red Alert stories than their sequel stories. Sure, it was all still cheesy and camp but the original games setting and story were more serious and grounded than the full tilt into sci-fi tropes that Tiberian Sun became and the blatant silliness of RA2. Although not Westwood, C&C3's story was pretty decent and a better mix of the sci-fi and grounded than what Tiberian Sun was.

The inconsistencies are due to Blizzard making things up as they went. This is normal behavior for them.

I wish Starcraft hadnít tried to be space opera. I wish it had tried military scifi and making the playable sides interesting in their own right. Confederate colonies, zerg broods, protoss tribes, etc.

Tried to read...can't care enough to do so. It's a bit late for Blizz to pretend they care about canon.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Are the xelínaga even necessary in the first place?

You'd think a recap wouldn't contradict itself within a few paragraphs but there you go...

The Xel'Naga were only ever necessary as background material and should've remained that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    You'd think a recap wouldn't contradict itself within a few paragraphs but there you go...

The Xel'Naga were only ever necessary as background material and should've remained that way.
    Thatís Blizzard for you. Sargeras was originally a random demon lord who failed to invade Azeroth, then he got promoted to evil titan.

Anyway, I think you could have removed the xelínaga and had their role taken over by the First Age protoss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Thatís Blizzard for you. Sargeras was originally a random demon lord who failed to invade Azeroth, then he got promoted to evil titan.

Anyway, I think you could have removed the xelínaga and had their role taken over by the First Age protoss.
    My Warcraft lore is sketchy but from what I could tell, the Warcraft2 manual only described Sargeras as a "Daemonlord" but not as an actual Daemon (where it does so for Kil'Jaden). Since this can be interpreted as either being a lord that is a Daemon or a lord of Daemons, there's enough wiggle room there for Warcraft3's additive retcon of him being actually a Titan that was a lord of Daemons, I suppose.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by removing the Xel'naga (entirely?) and replacing it with First Age Protoss specifically since the provocation/impetus for the current conflict between the Zerg and Protoss is dependent on the Xel'naga's interference in the first place. Otherwise, the Zerg would have no reason to seek out the Protoss obsessively nor know about them without the Xel'naga. If the Protoss were the ones who initiated the Zerg rise rather than the Xel'Naga, then it's kinda difficult to parse how a protracted conflict between Protoss and Zerg could ever arise given the vast initial power differential. If the Protoss could travel across the galaxy and manipulate the evolution of species over generations like the Xel'naga did but still retained their military capability, there's no chance the nascent Zerg would've ever be a threat. This is not even considering contriving how Terrans would enter the picture/stand a chance either.