Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Umoja and Kel Morian Combine

Default Re: Umoja and Kel Morian Combine

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Really? I think the game story suggests that Tassadar's force was pretty much devastated after the incident on Tarsonis. Mission 2 of the Zerg campaign Egression mentions "remnants of the Protoss fleet" in the briefing and the text between the end of this mission and the start of the next mention them being "beaten and scattered". It kinda also explains why Tass becomes stuck on Char and needs help later on.

Also, even if Tass still had enough ships to continue burning Terran worlds, him going about doing that after the debacle at Tarsonis wouldn't be consistent with his supposed change of heart about burning worlds/his action of attempting to fight the Zerg on Tarsonis
    There’s no explanation of how the protoss got defeated. I really despise the decision to make the campaigns sequential rather than concurrent.

^ They got defeated by Zerg. Doesn't really need more explanation beyond that.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Honestly, Tura, I'm not sure that that's the case. As to the level of destruction, anyway. I'm not convinced a human faction, particularly one like the Sons of Korhal with limited resources, could really destroy too terribly much of Tass' forces. I took the mission to be that the SoK were protecting a specific group of Zerg, that then happened to be more powerful than they realized. Thus, their smaller forces could stop Tass from doing...whatever he was doing on Tarsonis.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

^ The SoK only delayed the Protoss enough with their sacrificial play for the Zerg to maintain/build-up and launch on offensive then the rest of them scarpered off. Tassadar had already committed to fighting the Zerg "hand-to-hand" instead of burning worlds at that point and stayed that course (which is kinda darkly ironic considering that his finally doing a "good" thing due to his conscience actually proved to be ultimately the wrong choice!). Looks like he lost to the Zerg...

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Here the Protoss forces were also not the main target of the Zerg, as the Psi emitters were forcing most of the swarm into either the Tarsonis planetary defenses or the planet itself. There is a sliver of arrogance in Tassadar's personality, as well. Not so as much as the conclave, but he was also ingrained on his superiority of force vs the Zerg, perhaps believing for sure that world glassing was an overkill tactic. He was not even aware of the Cerebrates' immortality at this point.

Back on Umoja and KMC:
    I guess there's not much to be said about what the factions were in SC. My main opinion is that there needs to be a new theorycrafting around these factions. It's even a shame that pirate factions were also weak as hell in SC2, but could have been an interesting angle for storytelling even within Broodwar. Could have maybe given Duran a better plotline than the infested story.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    Here the Protoss forces were also not the main target of the Zerg, as the Psi emitters were forcing most of the swarm into either the Tarsonis planetary defenses or the planet itself. There is a sliver of arrogance in Tassadar's personality, as well. Not so as much as the conclave, but he was also ingrained on his superiority of force vs the Zerg, perhaps believing for sure that world glassing was an overkill tactic. He was not even aware of the Cerebrates' immortality at this point.

Back on Umoja and KMC:
    I guess there's not much to be said about what the factions were in SC. My main opinion is that there needs to be a new theorycrafting around these factions. It's even a shame that pirate factions were also weak as hell in SC2, but could have been an interesting angle for storytelling even within Broodwar. Could have maybe given Duran a better plotline than the infested story.
    I don’t see the point. Blizzard has screwed Starcraft so thoroughly that people put SC1 and BW’s lazy wattpad-tier writing on an undeserved pedestal.

Have you guys ever read any real military scifi?
    Last edited by The_Blade; 05-09-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Stop posting this sentence every 10 posts. Plz -blade

Misla, I don't see the point of you replying sometimes. We all know your thoughts on Sc1 by now here, so there's no need to reply if you've got nothing else to add beyond saying essentially the same thing over and over again. Let the peeps have their Sc1 talk if that's what they want. They don't need you to arbitrate for them all the time nor adhere to your interpretation. Chill dude.

Have you considered writing fanfiction? I’ve written several fanfics already with thousands of words each.

I was planning on writing fics revolving around the KMC and UP. Potentially novel-length.

Like, the KMC and UP have these interesting plotlines involving their negative relationships with the Confederacy.

The KMC formed as a consortium of corporations to protect its interests from Confederate interference. This kicked off the Guild Wars, which ended with the KMC being annexed and having most of its affiliates stripped. On the upside, apparently some patronage by corrupt Confederate officials has allowed their remnants to operate with immunity to the law. But underneath it all they want revenge and reclamation... which the alien invasion opens an opportunity for.

The UP formed as an alliance of independent colonies in response to the Confederacy’s aggressive imperialism. They secretly fund the Sons of Korhal and probably other rebel groups. They want to make inroads with the protoss in order to learn from their culture and technology. Who knows what could happen now that the sector is thrown into chaos?

There is so much potential for exploration. One could write novels about it.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

I agree with Misla, profoundly. There's a huge amount of world building that could happen within these three factions alone.

Even the Confederacy is half explained throughout StarCraft. We know that the wealthiest families control it, but what the hell do these families own? There's very little mention of companies or their role, and these should be massive interplanetary companies like the Weyland-Yutai company from Alien. Without this background, there's no reason for the military underlings to stay under the thumb of said families.

The other day I was thinking about Quatum entangled networks and how they could be associated to StarCraft. I was wondering, that perhaps, these would still be rare. These comm stations would be crazy valuable for both military and economic strategies. Also were the Confederacy would enjoy a centralized hub in Tarsonis, KMC and UP would probably have a more independent/decentralized form of communication.