Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uanime1 Starcraft 2 Review

Default Uanime1 Starcraft 2 Review

So there's this youtuber guy who isn't very big, but he's like the one guy on youtube who is actually calling out the story of SC2. Everyone else seems either to want to praise it, ignore it, or are simply too cynical to put in the effort. So I'm gonna post it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIZI...U1ZtJCr5a4qTOD

It goes through all the games in detail, fair warning.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Default Re: Uanime1 Starcraft 2 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    So there's this youtuber guy who isn't very big, but he's like the one guy on youtube who is actually calling out the story of SC2. Everyone else seems either to want to praise it, ignore it, or are simply too cynical to put in the effort. So I'm gonna post it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIZI...U1ZtJCr5a4qTOD

It goes through all the games in detail, fair warning.
    I've seen his videos. Very nice attention to detail.

He isn't the first to analyze in such detail. Unhappy Anchovy did a forum thread on space battles. But yes, it happens rarely.

Wish somebody did the same level of analysis with StarCraft 1. The first trilogy is okay IMO, but it could definitely have been improved and made a number of questionable decisions for the story trajectory. BW is full of plot holes due a rushed plot and development cycle.

Okay, so I found a let's play review of SC1. It started just this month.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...AUT7giezhfRBtP

Man. That is not flattering at all.

It's just another one of your "everything is crap" whines. Not listening to it.

It's somewhat amusing how in depth people can go into these analyses despite the stories not supposed to being literary masterpieces and deserving of such attention, but hey, whatever floats your boat, right?

And yes, I do appreciate the hypocrisy of my own statement as it relates to me as well.

EDIT: The guy who made the videos Misla linked is probably the same guy who was on this forum years ago (Pr0nogo). He was a militant hater of Sc2 and general curmudgeon that liked to espouse his subjective bias as unassailable, objective truth. Misla would've liked him.
    Last edited by Turalyon; 07-23-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    It's somewhat amusing how in depth people can go into these analyses despite the stories not supposed to being literary masterpieces and deserving of such attention, but hey, whatever floats your boat, right?

And yes, I do appreciate the hypocrisy of my own statement as it relates to me as well.
    Why critically analyze anything at all?

We live in a world where people produce youtube videos reviewing episodes of childrenís cartoons. Where people think childrenís cartoons are deep now.

The critique by Pr0nogo isnít necessarily all that deep. Most of it is writing and design 101 stuff. The Starcraft story was clearly thrown together without much care and it shows. That shouldnít be controversial.

It doesnít deserve the pedestal that fans place it on.

EDIT: The guy who made the videos Misla linked is probably the same guy who was on this forum years ago (Pr0nogo). He was a militant hater of Sc2 and general curmudgeon that liked to espouse his subjective bias as unassailable, objective truth. Misla would've liked him.
    I donít think I would.

I hate fixating on Starcraft. I donít like what Blizzard did to the setting. I donít get along with the fans because we donít seem to share any tastes. But I canít stop because thereís nothing else to move on to. I want a different game to fixate on, one that suits my tastes.

(I already dismissed 40k as an option. Gatekeepers tell me that tyranids arenít allowed to have characters/personalities.)

Somebody told me why I donít like Starcraft and I think they hit the nail on the head. I was expecting a believable military science fiction story. Blizzard wrote an interpersonal drama falsely dressed up a war story.

Iíd sell my soul to devil himself to get the game story that I wanted. I just want a war story about Confederate nations vs Zerg broods vs Protoss tribes. That shouldnít be too much to ask for, right?

Welp, looks like Iíll have to wait another twenty or thirty years before I get a snowballís chance in hell of seeing the game that I wanted.

Depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mislagnissa View Post
    Why critically analyze anything at all?
    I can only speak for myself, but I do it for fun and to share a different point of view.

It doesnít deserve the pedestal that fans place it on.
    I think you're imagining a "pedestal" that people are putting it on, when all they're expressing is what they find great about it. No-one conflates it to a literary masterpiece, yet you think that people who like it seem to revere it as one.

I already dismissed 40k as an option. Gatekeepers tell me that tyranids arenít allowed to have characters/personalities.
    Eh, WH40K lore is flexible and prone to retcon at any time. Even official lore can be deemed apocryphal leaving you to choose to believe whatever you want to believe in that universe. Tzeentch can vouch for this. Haha!

I was expecting a believable military science fiction story. Blizzard wrote an interpersonal drama falsely dressed up a war story.
    Ah, that's your problem. Expectations! It's lucky I generally have low expectations or none when I approach most forms of entertainment.

That shouldnít be too much to ask for, right?
    Hate to say it but yeah, it kinda is....
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I’d sell my soul to devil himself to get the game story that I wanted. I just want a war story about Confederate nations vs Zerg broods vs Protoss tribes. That shouldn’t be too much to ask for, right?
    Relative to you, no. But last I checked, the world doesn't revolve around you.

Hate to say it but yeah, it kinda is....
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Relative to you, no. But last I checked, the world doesn't revolve around you.
    How nice of you to be so supportive in my time of need.

How nice of you to be so supportive in my time of need.
    Considering how you always spat on others' stories and how crappy it is, I'd say the rest is self explanatory