Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Your Own Campaign

Default Re: Your Own Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Then why write the Another World fanfic back then in the first place if you never saw it fanon?
    Uh...because I was writing a story. For fun. Writing fanfiction isn't always about being right. Back then, in the golden days, I didn't need a fanon because there was no SC2.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post
    I kinda have to agree with Grad on this, recently I've been working on campaigns in my own continuity and most likely anything I could make in SC2's dogshit editor would be within my own alternate canons or story lines.

For as many excellent ideas that Enumerate has, I see why people don't use it to base things off of since its easier to take bits and pieces of it without stringently sticking to a specific "bible"
    I don't see why anyone cannot stick to the timeline at least. It is not comprehensive but it is simple to understand and easy to expand. The timeline goes out of its way to allow versatility in storytelling by removing restrictive elements and expanding the scale. The benefit of this is that many different authors can appear to set their works in the same continuity, rather than every author having a separate continuity. An expanded universe is IMO more fun to enjoy than a bunch of tiny self-contained universes.

Many existing custom campaigns could be fit into it with little to no rewriting (beyond things like name changes, such as replacing the ever popular Aiur with another Empire world) precisely because the world has become so much bigger and you do not have to write around legacy characters from the canon campaigns. The Proditor campaign for SC2 violates canon in numerous ways to tell its story, but it would be Tuesday in the Enumerate timeline. The Annihilation campaign is disconnected from canon precisely to give freedom in storytelling, but it could easily take place during the Brood Wars arc of the Enumerate timeline. The Ignos campaign is not possible in canon because it has Protoss and Nerazim living on a planet other than Aiur/Shakuras and random primal Zerg on xel'naga planets, but it could easily be set during the Great War arc or later in the Enumerate timeline. Vortex of the Void clearly violates canon by introducing a satanic cult among the Protoss that can resurrect the dead, but it is easy to fit into the Enumerate timeline due to the huge scales.

I mean, one of the details that threw me out of Enslavers and Antioch Chronicles was the ease at which random Terrans may visit Aiur. In Enslavers Schezar is just casually mentioned in a briefing to have raided Aiur, even though in the SC1 manual the Koprulu sector was on the frontier and the space between was unimaginably huge. In Antioch Chronicles the KMC presence on Aiur is only explained in supplementary materials where they relied on Zerg knowledge and FTL (it's complicated).

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Uh...because I was writing a story. For fun. Writing fanfiction isn't always about being right. Back then, in the golden days, I didn't need a fanon because there was no SC2.
    It was a good one, wish you'd continued

Lol, that was the one story I ever experienced writer's block on. Maybe someday, Rag, maybe someday.
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Lol, that was the one story I ever experienced writer's block on. Maybe someday, Rag, maybe someday.
    Hopefully, because I'm still waiting, just like I know there are people still waiting for me to update mine (right now real life makes that impossible)

I tend to never publish my stuff, perhaps I should...

Go for it. It stretches your brain in ways you never realize.
    - Artanis.