Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SC Reboot: what can be removed? What's essential?

DonnyZeDoof's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: SC Reboot: what can be removed? What's essential?

Do you think we can do the Terran campaign without the Psi Emitter/Psi Disruptor plot device? They seem to be a bit too crucial to the plot imo.

I like the idea of the psi emitters, as they were presented in the first Terran missions: psionic beam emitters that only worked because the Zerg were after psi humans. Everything after that...well, can easily get the axe, as far as I'm concerned. Removing them in the first Terran missions means that you have to figure out how Mengsk used the Zerg to accomplish his goals without them.

Be careful about being too reductionist, y'all. SC2 was nothing but bloat, but for its own part, SC1 wasn't bloated at all. You can argue that some plot things should have been different, but simply chopping things all willy-nilly means removing what makes Starcraft Starcraft, rather than removing unnecessaries. All the characters are necessary for the story that was told. Now, if you want to talk about the world itself, like the functions of the Sector, religion/technology/race relations, then technically speaking all the characters are unnecessary, because then you're talking only in terms of the grit and depth of Starcraft, and any character that matches the mold is fine.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

^—- what she said

Do you think we can do the Terran campaign without the Psi Emitter/Psi Disruptor plot device? They seem to be a bit too crucial to the plot imo.
    Like Nissa said, you still need Mengsk to somehow use the zerg to win but I guess I'd be ok with Kerrigan becoming the psi emitter. That could be an interesting angle and give the opportunity to flesh out her character more as well as giving more justification for the Overmind to want her specifically. Tura is right that Kerri's claimed evil side is never really explored in EP1 and that would be the perfect mean to do it.

Makes one potentially wonder whether they could've excluded them altogether. But if we did remove them, there would be no basis for the dynamic that gets setup between Mengsk and Raynor.
    I could see the story without the confed but only up to Tarsonis. You really need that big moment. If Mengsk isn't luring the Zerg against the confeds, then what is he doing? I mean, with a blank slate, you could just say that the military of the region was segregated before and Mengsk was the person responsible for the unification. Then you could say that Tarsonis was the last world reluctant to join under the banner so Mengsk had to reveal his true nature. I don't think you save a lot of time doing this or gain anything meaningful though. It's just a different flavor of the same thing. I would leave it as it is.

As a writer, I have to say that y'all are freaking me out with the whole idea of chopping out characters.
    Shhhh, we're just talking here If that helps, imagine we'd decide to tell the story in a non RTS game medium. A movie or an action RPG like mass effect(yes plz!). You'd need to give more liberty to the writers. There would need to be sacrifices!
    Last edited by sandwich_bird; 12-04-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Yeah, but if you sacrifice Aldaris, you're sacrificing one of the deepest characters Starcraft has. If you're gonna make a "movie" without him, you better dang well convince me that you can create characters of equal depth.
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    I could see the story without the confed but only up to Tarsonis. You really need that big moment. If Mengsk isn't luring the Zerg against the confeds, then what is he doing? I mean, with a blank slate, you could just say that the military of the region was segregated before and Mengsk was the person responsible for the unification. Then you could say that Tarsonis was the last world reluctant to join under the banner so Mengsk had to reveal his true nature. I don't think you save a lot of time doing this or gain anything meaningful though. It's just a different flavor of the same thing. I would leave it as it is.
    In the game, the Confeds don't really represent anything other than being a generic opponent to fight though. They can be renamed to something else and it doesn't make a lick of difference as long as they're still the opposition that Mengsk seeks to bring down. There's nothing in the game that defines them in a way that makes the Mengsk vs Confeds/Rebel Crusader vs Big Authority/New vs Old dynamic sing out really.
    Duke is the closest thing you have to a face for the Confeds and he's quickly/purposefully shown to be inadequate and not up to measure against Mengsk. Their importance is more about providing context for Mengsk but that's about it. I don't think they're that vitally important to the experience of Starcraft, unless we delve into the actual politics of the Terrains and how the Confeds interact with Umojans and Kel-Morians.

Tura, I agree about the confeds being unimportant and replaceable in the grand scheme of things. All I was saying was that Mengsk needs a Terran enemy and that is important. If there needs to be one, then it might as well be the confed.

Nissa, you'll have to explain to me what you find in Aldaris

You'll have to explain what you don't find.

Actually, I like basically all of the characters in Starcraft (reminder, SC2 does not count). The only ones I'm not hot about are DuGalle (seems more of a plot device than a person) and the Overmind (he's fine, but not terribly deep). As a writer, I continually look for plot potential, character depth, and the absence of political/message driven bias. All of the characters fulfill what I'm looking for. Duke is a ruffian, but had a cool demeanor and pride in his work. Raynor, the arguably most moral character, had the least ability to change things. He was also a redneck, and it's nice to see a redneck character who isn't automatically stupid or evil. Zeratul was classy and accepting, Tassadar righteous but overly proud, Fenix quiet and soldierly, Mengsk gloriously hateful, Zasz unfortunately killed before he could add glorious conflict to the swarm...honestly, if I had the time, I could write essays on any given character.

Aldaris in particular was great, because he was never not frustrating. He's a lordly authority who's technically a good guy, but has no sympathy for humans. Despite his antagonism, he finally accepts Tassadar's ways and even the Dark Templar. Then Kerrigan's presence permanently destroys his tentative goodwill. And just when he finally turns out to be right, he's killed. At every point the player is frustrated by Aldaris, because he's continually the source of tension -- glorious, glorious tension, which was the key to SC1's superiority over SC2. Aldaris is good because his character reminds the player that just because circumstances force the dark and light Protoss together, it doesn't mean that things are all going to be hunky-dory. Not to mention Protoss-human relations. What makes it even more fascinating is that Aldaris could have been a better person, and yet that tantalizing aspect gets taken away by Kerrigan. In short, Aldaris represents the political issues that come along with desperate circumstances.

That, and it's funny cause he looks like a giant gingerbread man.
    - Artanis.

That's a good sell. It would be hard to have the same level of tension he brings without him. I can see some of Tassadar's followers abandoning/resisting Tass for his actions against the common order and stuff like that but that is really diluting what we had in the original story.

The only real core are the three races and them fighting eachother for X reasons.

any of the characters can be replaced entirely IMO except maybe the Overmind.