Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Starcraft reboot ideas discussion thread

Default Re: Reboot the franchise? What direction would you go?

I'm sure Misla wishes this too but we've heard plenty from him about this. Sounds like you got some ideas though. How would you reboot Sc1 if you did have the budget, Grad? Would you rewrite things that have already happened (like Misla would), make a tangential story that occurs at the same time of the Sc1 events but that don't conflict with it or set it up in the future/past Sc1/Sc2 events?
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    This all kind of makes me wish I had the budget for making a full SC1 reboot.
    Join the club.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    I'm sure Misla wishes this too but we've heard plenty from him about this. Sounds like you got some ideas though. How would you reboot Sc1 if you did have the budget, Grad? Would you rewrite things that have already happened (like Misla would), make a tangential story that occurs at the same time of the Sc1 events but that don't conflict with it or set it up in the future/past Sc1/Sc2 events?
    - Full reboot, covering only SC1 events.
    - I'd have a combination of rewriting things that happened and keeping them but basically cover the same events.
    - No "lost Earth" tropes. Earth and the Terran colonies communicate and have the same level of tech, but Earth is just really far away.
    - Just straight up more characters and planets. More Protoss empire stuff. More Terran Generals, and finally exploring Moria and Umoja. More zerg cerebrates.
    - I'd keep several SC2 units and characters at my discretion.
    - The zerg campaign would need new characters and just have more stuff going on. I'd like to see the invasion of ancillary protoss and terran worlds and other sub-plots.
    - Raynor needs to gather the Umojans and Kel-Morians and have them fight on Aiur.
    - Infested Kerrigan needs to be a weakling compared to the protoss and lead an infested army instead.
    Last edited by Gradius; 06-15-2018 at 06:46 PM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

This all kind of makes me wish I had the budget for making a full SC1 reboot.
    My pie-in the sky dream is to make enough money to be able to bankroll my own SC1-style RTS ... maybe some day ..

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

- No "lost Earth" tropes. Earth and the Terran colonies communicate and have the same level of tech, but Earth is just really far away.

...and finally exploring Moria and Umoja.
    This one's an interesting change. What level and sort of communication would this entail? Are the K-sector Terrans still outcasts/scum of the Earth that were thrown away like they were originally depicted? If they communicate and are of the same tech level, are we to assume they're all still actually UPL? If they are all still collectively "Earth", how would you reckon/justify the initial formation of the Confederacy, KMC and UP when the supercarriers first entered the K sector?

I suppose you could still have the K-sector Terrans still be part of Earth up until the big Sc1 war starts and then communications to Earth break down or the K-sector Terrans collectively stop communicating. This could then justify the original story arc of Mengsk trying to take control still taking place (he'd still start off being a rebel but against the Earths control of the K-sector colonies and not the Confederacy for example) and open the way for the creation/exploration of these other factions (like Moria and Umoja) due to having lost communication to Earth. It would even justify Earth sending a force to investigate only to arrive after the events of Sc1 finished (ala BW with the UED).
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

- Raynor needs to gather the Umojans and Kel-Morians and have them fight on Aiur.
    I think the Protoss would not be okay with this. If you meant that Raynor's followers should be from these worlds, sure, but a large army of humans on the Protoss homeworld would probably make the 'Toss less than happy.

But I think your Kerrigan idea is good. It seems like it would tie-in better with the Overmind's hypothetical intentions. Like she's supposed to be someone who will help transition humans into the swarm, but with the Overmind's death, she basically gets her own army.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    This one's an interesting change. What level and sort of communication would this entail? Are the K-sector Terrans still outcasts/scum of the Earth that were thrown away like they were originally depicted? If they communicate and are of the same tech level, are we to assume they're all still actually UPL? If they are all still collectively "Earth", how would you reckon/justify the initial formation of the Confederacy, KMC and UP when the supercarriers first entered the K sector?

I suppose you could still have the K-sector Terrans still be part of Earth up until the big Sc1 war starts and then communications to Earth break down or the K-sector Terrans collectively stop communicating. This could then justify the original story arc of Mengsk trying to take control still taking place (he'd still start off being a rebel but against the Earths control of the K-sector colonies and not the Confederacy for example) and open the way for the creation/exploration of these other factions (like Moria and Umoja) due to having lost communication to Earth. It would even justify Earth sending a force to investigate only to arrive after the events of Sc1 finished (ala BW with the UED).
    I was thinking more that the Koprulu Terrans are analogous to the lawless Terminus Systems from Mass Effect (still outcasts/scum, yes) and that Earth has its own problems and is far away enough that they don't really care what Koprulu Terrans are doing.

I also just want there to be more terran sectors period, maybe from colonization ships or UPL colonies. When Schezar said "I'll leave this blasted sector for good" in Enslavers it didn't really make much sense because it's like...where the hell's he gonna go? Back to Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    I think the Protoss would not be okay with this. If you meant that Raynor's followers should be from these worlds, sure, but a large army of humans on the Protoss homeworld would probably make the 'Toss less than happy.
    They're on the brink of annihilation and would be stupid to refuse help. Especially Tassadar who's more open-minded. What the Judicator think doesn't matter at that point.
    Last edited by Gradius; 06-16-2018 at 04:48 PM.

DonnyZeDoof's Avatar Junior Member

- Infested Kerrigan needs to be a weakling compared to the protoss and lead an infested army instead.
    Why propose this? Wasn't the whole point of Infested Kerrigan was her being a powerful entity?

I do not find Raynor and Kerry’s (and Tassadar’s) involvement as larger than life fantasy heroes believable in a grim and gritty scifi setting. They are believable as commanders on a single battlefield on a single planet out of countless, but not galactic scale legendary heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnyZeDoof View Post
    Why propose this? Wasn't the whole point of Infested Kerrigan was her being a powerful entity?
    An infested human being a powerful entity is dumb when every other infested Terran is a driveling zombie. Plus what Mag said. Kerrigan is there to round out the Zerg cast and be a foil for celebrates, not to be some one woman army powerhouse.