View Poll Results: Do you like this idea?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 47.62%
  • No

11 52.38%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Balancing ZvZ: Hydralisk's corrosive spines

Tritanis's Avatar Junior Member

Lightbulb Balancing ZvZ: Hydralisk's corrosive spines

Zerg vs zerg matchup was a bit dull in sc1 (mutas, lings and scourges were overused). In sc2, as for now, it looks like zvz will be a roach war with very little usage of other units, neither zerglings nor hydras can compete with roaches cost efficiently.

My little idea is to give hydralisks a passive ability(lets call it 'corrosive spines') that would disable any form of regeneration (innate, or from spells like medivac healing) for a few seconds to any organic unit the hydralisk attacks.

With this little ability zerglings and hydralisks with a bit of micro could counter roaches cost efficiently. Also it gives hydras some uses in ZvT besides sniping flying units, it surely won't be overpowered as hydras cost twice as much supply and resources compared to sc1.

What do you think about it guys?

I live , I serve , I die for the Metal

Default Re: Balancing ZvZ: Hydralisk's corrosive spines

It sounds good, but i think this alone won't be enough to enable hydras to counter roaches, maybe some poison damage or cripple effect?

Hydras after speed upgrade are much faster than roaches, so they could easily kite them. And without regeneration it takes only 8 hydra shots (14-1 vs 100hp) to kill a roach, in combination with zerglings it is even more deadly.

FlashWar's Avatar Junior Member

I like this idea, it could even be used against Medivacs and Infantry, not just Roaches. It would be the perfect counter seeing as Terran has four infantry units.

This, is something I'd love to see Blizz implement. Gives the Hydralisks a new dimension.

That would only balance 1v1...

Quote Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
    That would only balance 1v1...
    erm... what? wasn't this thread initially about balancing one matchup?

As for the ZvT it would certainly help zerg against infantry coupled with medivacs, also I think that organic protoss units affected by corrosive spines shouldn't be able to regain their shields by that new 'Plasma Surge' ability for HT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritanis View Post
    Hydras after speed upgrade are much faster than roaches, so they could easily kite them. And without regeneration it takes only 8 hydra shots (14-1 vs 100hp) to kill a roach, in combination with zerglings it is even more deadly.

Even without the regeneration the roach has still more damage and hp and has the same attack speed. Where did you get 8 hydra shots? It takes 12 hydra shots to kill a roach, and 6 roach shots to kill a hydra!
    Roach does 16 damage to hydras where hydra does only 9 to roach.
    Not to mention, that the roach is much cheaper.

Medzo's Avatar Junior Member

I really dont think roach is the end all be all of zerg. You guys keep clinging onto how many hits it takes to kill something, but there is a lot more to it, like collision size. The range and the collision size of the roach looks as if you wont be getting 6 roaches on one hydra for a 1 volley kill unless you have some kind of master positioning (and movement speed shouldnt allow this). However getting 6 hydralisks to focus on 1 roach is an easier task.
    Last edited by Medzo; 05-15-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Baneling's Avatar Junior Member

Its to nuanced. It would be confusing to new players and its effect would be hard to judge and balance.

Sounds cool, but in game I just don't think it would be.